DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DIY cheap, quick, portable landing pad

View attachment 3669 Take one of these, available in packs from Lowes or Walmart

View attachment 3672 Cut it into quarters, down the middle.

View attachment 3673 Flip the edges in and lock.View attachment 3674

View attachment 3675 Flip it over and spray paint as desired. I just used masking tape and a can lid.

View attachment 3676 When dry, unlock, stack and wrap with a couple of velcro straps. Makes a 1 foot square.

Easy to transport, light, and easy to snap together to fly.
Great idea !! I'll try this out. Thanks.

I don't really understand the reason for a landing pad. I guess I could see it if you were taking off from sand but otherwise I don't see the need.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The RTH feature takes a picture of where it takes off from, so landing pads are ideal when taking off from areas such as open grass, beach etc. where there are no distinguishing features.

I don't really understand the reason for a landing pad. I guess I could see it if you were taking off from sand but otherwise I don't see the need.

The back props are so low to the ground that even short grass is an interference to the props and can mar the props over time. Not to mention the elimination of debris from the prop wash into the air intakes.

The RTH feature takes a picture of where it takes off from, so landing pads are ideal when taking off from areas such as open grass, beach etc. where there are no distinguishing features.

My mavic rth to the exact spot in open grass areas with no distiguishable contrast without landing pads.
I got no problem with people buying and using them. Just don't understand spending $30 on wire and fabric.
Tbh I wouldn't spend $1 on those goofy looking things.
If DJI released an official one and marked up the already marked price, they'd sell a boat load.

My mavic rth to the exact spot in open grass areas with no distiguishable contrast without landing pads.
I got no problem with people buying and using them. Just don't understand spending $30 on wire and fabric.
If DJI released an official one and marked up the already marked price, they'd sell a boat load.
That's only one example of the useless things people are buying for the Mavic. Amurika.

Reactions: Drone Police
Taking off from snow, sand or even a parking lot or sidewalk will cause debris to become airborne and get ingested into the main body or individual motors. Covering any of those surfaces with anything, foam, sheet rock, my current favorite is a $5 multicolor doormat, will only prolong the life of your equipment.

You know what you know.

3e193b4ea6247a8b95a917e65c723468.jpg

Main objection to these is that on uneven ground (grass) the surface is uneven. Why I prefer a sheet of plywood. That was some scrap in the garage. Cut a handle into it, made a template for the helo markings and a bit of left over spray paint to finish.

But, the original poster to this thread wins it for ingenuity, light weight and portability.

Attachments

• LandPad.png
    LandPad.png
    703.7 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: MavicFrank

I doubt RTH to an exact spot will work in an even grass area. There's either something it locked onto (brown patch) or luck.

Aliasing alone would prevent it.

The main purpose of these pads is keeping dust out of the front air intake.

Whatever you decide to use as a landing pad MAKE SURE that it is either heavy enough to stay put under the not insignificant downwash from the Drone or solidly staked to the ground
A few yeas ago a buddy of mine seriously damaged his DJI F550 when the pad he'd made launched off the ground and shot into his hexa as he was still 5 feet off the ground.
Very surprising and Very disappointing.

I doubt RTH to an exact spot will work in an even grass area. There's either something it locked onto (brown patch) or luck.

Aliasing alone would prevent it.

The main purpose of these pads is keeping dust out of the front air intake.
Don't doubt, it's called gps position. And by 'exact spot', I mean about half a foot margin of error. Hardly unbelievable in this day and age. And I get it every time.

Reactions: temptation
Don't doubt, it's called gps position. And by 'exact spot', I mean about half a foot margin of error. Hardly unbelievable in this day and age. And I get it every time.

GPS is nowhere near 1 foot position. On a good day 2 metres if you happen to have SBAS reception (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS) where you are landing.

If you're getting that on grass, then it's very well lit and patchy enough for there to be a distinct pattern for the belly cameras to pickup and resolve.

Main objection to these is that on uneven ground (grass) the surface is uneven. Why I prefer a sheet of plywood. That was some scrap in the garage. Cut a handle into it, made a template for the helo markings and a bit of left over spray paint to finish.

But, the original poster to this thread wins it for ingenuity, light weight and portability.
I am thinking of something like this, but maybe hinged across the middle for easier transport on trips. If it were only a couple feet across it could be strapped to a backpack and taken anywhere.

GPS is nowhere near 1 foot position. On a good day 2 metres if you happen to have SBAS reception (WAAS, EGNOS, MSAS) where you are landing.

If you're getting that on grass, then it's very well lit and patchy enough for there to be a distinct pattern for the belly cameras to pickup and resolve.
Lol I have personal anecdotal evidence. Why would I lie. I think the accuracy I'm seeing is because of my take off procedure , which is recording the home point before take off with minimum of 12 sats locked (I almost always get 18~19) and taking off vertically till about 10 meters before any horizontal flight.
This is on open grass field with little to no contrast.
Of course accuracy may vary if launching near buildings and tall trees where you may not be getting the best signals.
Anyway, this is not hard for anyone to test for themselves.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d