DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI: Faulty batteries are automatically out of warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guest1231

My latest Mavic Pro battery failed after only a few uses. Because it’s cells are faulty, DJI will not provide full or pro-rated replacement — not based on length-of-ownership warranty consideration, but because of an inherent manufacturing flaw that resulted in early failure.

”We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and for the confusion. What we meant was the battery was out of warranty because of the structure of the battery, it cannot be repaired. We suggest to [sic] buy a new battery from an authorized DJI Dealer.”

I’ve purchased Mavic Pro batteries on three different occasions from DJI and authorized dealer Adorama, but battery serial numbers are not indicated on receipts rendering battery warranties useless because batteries do not carry traceable purchase-date stamps. I sent a .jpg photo of the back of the battery in question to DJI in my first email to them, asking DJI to trace its warranty status. DJI revealed only today that it did not do so. Though DJI was able to view a .jpg of my Mavic Pro’s proof of purchase...

”The [battery] photo you have attached could not be viewed on this ticket.”

DJI made its no-replacement decision without considering purchase date in its original verdict and in my appeal. Their policy seems clear to me: If it can’t be repaired and resold as refurbished goods, DJI will not stand by it. Its warranties are without value in such cases.

Your other thread on this (DJI: Faulty battery? We’ll sell you another — full price) was closed, I thought for pretty clear reasons: "This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community."

That said, your experience with DJI batteries is very different from most people's. I can't help but think you're abusing the batteries in some way that is causing so many of them to fail early.

Reactions: locoman and JohnEB
My latest Mavic Pro battery failed after only a few uses. Because it’s cells are faulty, DJI will not provide full or pro-rated replacement — not based on length-of-ownership warranty consideration, but because of an inherent manufacturing flaw that resulted in early failure.

”We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and for the confusion. What we meant was the battery was out of warranty because of the structure of the battery, it cannot be repaired. We suggest to [sic] buy a new battery from an authorized DJI Dealer.”

I’ve purchased Mavic Pro batteries on three different occasions from DJI and authorized dealer Adorama, but battery serial numbers are not indicated on receipts rendering battery warranties useless because batteries do not carry traceable purchase-date stamps. I sent a .jpg photo of the back of the battery in question to DJI in my first email to them, asking DJI to trace its warranty status. DJI revealed only today that it did not do so. Though DJI was able to view a .jpg of my Mavic Pro’s proof of purchase...

”The [battery] photo you have attached could not be viewed on this ticket.”

DJI made its no-replacement decision without considering purchase date in its original verdict and in my appeal. Their policy seems clear to me: If it can’t be repaired and resold as refurbished goods, DJI will not stand by it. Its warranties are without value in such cases.
Manufacturer/Distributor/Vendor and Customer Disputes

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about manufacturers, distributors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and distributors through other means but not through our community.

Reactions: JohnEB
That's a real shame that you Mr.Salty would feel that way about someone who (like myself) is making it public that folks need to be careful about their Mavic batteries going bad - swelling etc. It's not about venting off it's really about faulty batteries & the need to get that subject out there. Please see my own recent post - Mavic Pro batteries swollen - I wasn't venting off I was actually trying to find out if there were other members with battery issues here at mavicpilots.com - also letting the good folks here know that in my case after only 47 charges my batteries had swollen. AND the reply that DJI gave me - the exact reply that was given to micheallinder.
You said "That said, your experience with DJI batteries is very different from most people's. I can't help but think you're abusing the batteries in some way that is causing so many of them to fail early"
My point exactly - I am MOST careful with ALL my equipment ( not easily replaced in Belize ) so am still curious to know if these cases are rare & isolated with regards to batteries swelling up & 'going in' ?

Most unfortunate… You might want to consider purchasing your drone accessories from Amazon. Their return policies are far more lenient.

Reactions: RKX
Just curious, was there any visible damage to the battery? Had it been in a crash? That's the only reason why DJI might make the comment they made, if the structure, not the interior contents, of the battery was compromised.

Reactions: ksmusa
Just curious, was there any visible damage to the battery? Had it been in a crash? That's the only reason why DJI might make the comment they made, if the structure, not the interior contents, of the battery was compromised.

The battery was never involved in a crash and there is no visible damage whatsoever. DJI claims it could not view the .jpg battery pic attached to my ticket and made its decision without having seen a photo. By “structure,” I assumed they meant internals — cells, connectors and such — but given their command of English it’s difficult to say for sure.

FYI, this battery had excellent care — no temp extremes or other harsh environmental exposure, no long-term overcharging or other maltreatment. It had no more than 10 recharging cycles before it croaked. There’s not a scratch or ding on it.

The battery was never involved in a crash and there is no visible damage whatsoever. DJI claims it could not view the .jpg battery pic attached to my ticket and made its decision without having seen a photo. By “structure,” I assumed they meant internals — cells, connectors and such — but given their command of English it’s difficult to say for sure.

FYI, this battery had excellent care — no temp extremes or other harsh environmental exposure, no long-term overcharging or other maltreatment. It had no more than 10 recharging cycles before it croaked. There’s not a scratch or ding on it.

If thats the case, reopen your conversations with DJI. Send them whatever they need and make sure they get it.

If the structure of the battery has been compromised, they cannot legally send it back to you.

Im sure this has been answered before but, Is it possible to damage batteries by leaving them on the charger too long? I tend to keep an eye on mine and remove it as soon as it is charged.

If thats the case, reopen your conversations with DJI. Send them whatever they need and make sure they get it.

If the structure of the battery has been compromised, they cannot legally send it back to you.

DJI does not want me to return the battery.

“If it is out of warranty and indeed dead, we will just replace it with a new one by charging you as the price of a new battery. If so, we don't suggest you send them back. You can buy a new battery from an authorized DJI dealer or the DJI Online Store.”
Again, no purchase date has ever been confirmed. I’m afraid sending it off to Hong Kong would be a waste of time and money better applied to the purchase of a new battery from, as kmusa suggests, Amazon.

DJI is in Cerritos, CA not far from LA.

Good to know — but in my case, but what’s the point? DJI has made it clear, in writing, that they will keep my battery and not repair or replace it. Their only option is to buy a new one at the full DJI Store’s retail price when Amazon currently sells official DJI Mavic Pro Intelligent Batteries for 12% less, and both offer free delivery. Amazon also scans the battery’s serial number and adds it to the order history. Documented proof plus Amazon’s more lenient replacement policy. And, a second court of appeal that doesn’t speak pidgin English.

Have you used DJI’s Cerritos facility for repairs? Its Google ratings aren’t so hot.

https://g.co/kgs/tjLtti

DJI does not want me to return the battery.

“If it is out of warranty and indeed dead, we will just replace it with a new one by charging you as the price of a new battery. If so, we don't suggest you send them back. You can buy a new battery from an authorized DJI dealer or the DJI Online Store.”
Again, no purchase date has ever been confirmed. I’m afraid sending it off to Hong Kong would be a waste of time and money better applied to the purchase of a new battery from, as kmusa suggests, Amazon.

Right - if it is out of warranty then fair enough. If it is in warranty then they should replace it. They appear to be saying don't send it back if it is out of warranty. The corollary is that if it is in warranty then send it back and they will replace it. You seem to be making this far more difficult than it needs to be.

Reactions: Former Member
I can see you are chapped about the warranty thing. It stinks when things die before you think they should. But it happens all the time.
Already having one thread closed on this topic here, what is it that you want from this forum?
No one here has the power to give free products to people that aren't clear on the warranty.
DJI doesn't lurk here looking to silence Haters by buying them off. (obviously, because this place is lousy with haters)
Let it go, just take your medicine like all of us have to from time to time. If this has you too worked up, sell the DJI "junk" and take up a different hobby. Hobbies that make you angry aren't worth pursuing.

Right - if it is out of warranty then fair enough. If it is in warranty then they should replace it. They appear to be saying don't send it back if it is out of warranty. The corollary is that if it is in warranty then send it back and they will replace it. You seem to be making this far more difficult than it needs to be.

Thumbswayup Thunderdrones, over and out (of this thread).

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
If you purchased the battery within 6 months, file a claim with your credit card and dispute the transaction with DJI and the full value of a new battery. You may get your money back, and DJI and their mediocre service can eat the cost. If it has been greater than 6 months, that is outside of the battery warranty timeframe.

As per the rules - Community Rules please do not make a duplicate thread to one that was closed by the staff.

Ef38ZNJ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ