DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles Missing Diopter Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim,
I can tell you think you don't need nor shouldn't have to wear reading glasses, but have you actually tried a pair? You don't even have to buy them, please just take your goggles into a Wal-Mart or any drug store that sells them and try a pair. Design flaw or not I'll bet you'll find they help and you can get to enjoy flying with them. You can curse DJI the entire time if you want but I don't think that is going to solve your problem if you want to use them which you must since you bought them in the first place. Nothing is going to fix the current goggle, they are what they are. Maybe DJI Goggles 2 will address the problem but until that day you have 2 choices, solve the problem on your own or return them.

I bought cheaters from Walgreens, fixed my focus issue. ;)

That's like buying a Ferrari and putting snow tires on it. I'd rather Ferrari fix my $350k car instead of hacking it up on day one just so it's driveable. I have a prediction, there will be a non-hack fix for these goggles because EVERYONE has a problem with the focus distance, and installing grandma reading glasses in them with bubble gum is not acceptable for a $450 set of goggles who's marketing literature claimed the focus distance was 3 meters away when it's really closer to 5 inches away.

Tim

Reactions: jbrett14
That's like buying a Ferrari and putting snow tires on it. I'd rather Ferrari fix my $350k car instead of hacking it up on day one just so it's driveable. I have a prediction, there will be a non-hack fix for these goggles because EVERYONE has a problem with the focus distance, and installing grandma reading glasses in them with bubble gum is not acceptable for a $450 set of goggles who's marketing literature claimed the focus distance was 3 meters away when it's really closer to 5 inches away.

Tim
I guess I could get laser eye surgery to fix the vision issue Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 12.08.33 AM☀️.png

Tim,
I can tell you think you don't need nor shouldn't have to wear reading glasses, but have you actually tried a pair? You don't even have to buy them, please just take your goggles into a Wal-Mart or any drug store that sells them and try a pair. Design flaw or not I'll bet you'll find they help and you can get to enjoy flying with them. You can curse DJI the entire time if you want but I don't think that is going to solve your problem if you want to use them which you must since you bought them in the first place. Nothing is going to fix the current goggle, they are what they are. Maybe DJI Goggles 2 will address the problem but until that day you have 2 choices, solve the problem on your own or return them.

Here's the problem, people that wear +3 reading glasses are reporting that they need +6 to use the goggles. Those that are young and don't wear reading glasses are reporting that they need +1.5 to +2 reading glasses to use the goggles. I can confirm these reports as well. The goggles have a VERY close plane of focus, a little too close to be comfortable except for those who have myopia (like 90% of Asians). They were designed for the typical set of Asian eyes, who typically need glasses. To make matters worse, DJI's marketing states that the goggles are like looking at a screen 3 meters away when in reality the focal plane is more like 5 inches away.

Also, the slightly close focus plane isn't really the biggest problem to me as I can focus at 5 inches away (albeit with a bit of eye stress). The larger problems for me are the non-binocular field of view (each eye individually doesn't see the entire screen) and the fancy mirrors and polarizer are unneeded in a 2D viewing system (yet they cause convergence issues which reduce the sharpness). What does it matter if each eye sees two different screens displaying the same 1920x1080 image or if both eyes see a single 1920x1080 screen? If the goggles were 3D, THEN it would have a benefit (like the Oculus Rift). But for 2D with both screens being identical it's 100% pointless. It only increased the size and cost and reduced the quality of the image.

Tim

Reactions: Cisco1138
* @MisterMavic & @teckel ... the ignore button might be the best bet for you both. Go to each others profile and you'll find it there should you choose that (the best), option. Readers of this thread are fully aware of both of your viewpoints. Please do not keep repeating yourselves.

I guess I could get laser eye surgery to fix the vision issue View attachment 15385

You would be making your vision worse if you adjusted your eyes to see the DJI Goggles screen as they're designed for people with myopia. Basically, you would need to give yourself myopia to use the goggles without glasses. THAT'S what it's a design fail, not because they didn't include a diopter adjustment.

Tim

* @MisterMavic & @teckel ... the ignore button might be the best bet for you both. Go to each others profile and you'll find it there should you choose that (the best), option. Readers of this thread are fully aware of both of your viewpoints. Please do not keep repeating yourselves.

That's how some would deal with life's challenges. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tim

Tim

I hope you're correct, but I just don't know what that could be. I don't see DJI recalling the Goggles, so the only other solution I see would be similar to what is suggested here, just being from DJI and realistically I don't see that happening either. All joking aside, we'll have to agree to disagree on if there is an actual problem for people with perfect vision. My wife can see the screen perfectly without any aid. The fact that you believe she isn't "trained" I guess would be the word to describe it, I find preposterous, but that's neither here nor there. I don't hold Samsung accountable that I need glasses or contacts to see my TV, but in this case I do feel a focus adjustment should have been included.

Nothing wrong with a healthy discussion.

Reactions: Jim_bo
because EVERYONE has a problem with the focus distance, and installing grandma reading glasses in them with bubble gum is not acceptable
@teckel , you conveniently ignored the statement that I made earlier about letting FOUR people with perfect uncorrected vision trying on the goggles and being in awe with the crystal clear view this past week. Your statement that the goggles were designed for people with myopia is just your opinion, and frankly I think it is dead wrong. Don't claim YOU have the facts when you ignore statements made to the contrary.

In addition, you have failed to understand WHY the goggles have two (large) screens and polarized lenses with mirrors- you don't understand what it takes to build a pixel free, bright, and immersive view in a goggles product. Go read up on the teardown of the goggles, and you will understand the design (actually, I am sure you will not as that does not fit your agenda here).

Finally- I can tell you that with the current lenses, these goggles have a focal distance of 10 to 11 inches. If you in fact can see clearly at 5 inches, but the goggles are blurry for you- then either you are mistaken about your vision, or there is a problem with your goggles.

Last edited:
To make matters worse, DJI's marketing states that the goggles are like looking at a screen 3 meters away when in reality the focal plane is more like 5 inches away.

You are mistaken because you didn't pay attention. The "3 meters reference" is in the DJI video (the only place I have seen it), and the statement actually reads:

"A wide 85 degree field of view per screen makes wearing the DJI Goggles the equivalent of looking at a 216 inch screen from three meters away".
If the focal plane is indeed 5 inches, I would not be able to focus on them at all, even with the diopters I installed. Again, it's more like 10-11 inches.

@teckel , you conveniently ignored the statement that I made earlier about letting FOUR people with perfect uncorrected vision trying on the goggles and being in awe with the crystal clear view this past week. Your statement that the goggles were designed for people with myopia is just your opinion, and frankly I think it is dead wrong. Don't claim YOU have the facts when you ignore statements made to the contrary.

In addition, you have failed to understand WHY the goggles have two (large) screens and polarized lenses with mirrors- you don't understand what it takes to build a pixel free, bright, and immersive view in a goggles product. Go read up on the teardown of the goggles, and you will understand the design (actually, I am sure you will not as that does not fit your agenda here).

Finally- I can tell you that with the current lenses, these goggles have a focal distance of 10 to 11 inches. If you in fact can see clearly at 5 inches, but the goggles are blurry for you- then either you are mistaken about your vision, or there is a problem with your goggles.

Actually, the evidence shows the opposite of what you suggest. The fact the people who use +3 reading glasses need to use +6 reading glasses and those who normally don't but need to get +2 reading glasses shows that the focal plane is too close for correct vision. I'm also not talking about 4 people, but just about EVERY post talks about how the focus plane is too close and reading glasses are needed. The fact that you have identified 4 people on Earth who have mild myopia or don't know what a clear image should look like means nothing when the facts are so clear. Those 4 people are considered noise.

And I DO understand what it takes, as I've been in the field of optical software engineering for over 20 years. I created my own 3D goggles over 25 years ago.

I'm looking at my phone which is 8" away and it is perfectly clear. But, I'm seeing it with BOTH eyes and it's a single screen, so my eyes have no problem converging on the surface. The DJI goggles have 3 problems, it's far closer than 10-11" (more like 5" even though their marketing claims 3 meters), you don't get a 100% binocular field of view, and the mirror/polarizer convergence isn't 100% accurate.

I get that some people don't know what to look for, so the goggles will seem excellent. But, to the critical eye, I find them flawed.

Tim

You are mistaken because you didn't pay attention. The "3 meters reference" is in the DJI video (the only place I have seen it), and the statement actually reads:

"A wide 85 degree field of view per screen makes wearing the DJI Goggles the equivalent of looking at a 216 inch screen from three meters away".
If the focal plane is indeed 5 inches, I would not be able to focus on them at all, even with the diopters I installed. Again, it's more like 10-11 inches.

I'm not mistaken and I did pay attention. The suggestion in their marketing material is that the focus distance is much further away than it is. To me, it sounds like someone else is mistaken and not paying attention as you pointed out, it's in their marketing material.

Also, the focal distance is closer to 5" than 10-11". When my phone is 5" away, I can see it about as well as I can the goggles. When my phone is 10-11" away, there's zero eye stress (no stress even 8 inches away).

Tim

Reactions: RollingRob
Nonsense.. they do not "suggest" any such focal distance, and you know it.... evidently you don't even understand plain english. "Equivalent to" and focal distance aren't even close to the same thing. Where did you say you went to school? Are you being intentionally bull headed and dense, or does that come naturally to you?

You also clearly don't have a clue about how to build pixel free goggles- you brag about a vapor-ware product as if you are king of optics. Well guess what... you failed in that regard.

Ya know what- these work WAY WAY better than any analog FPV goggles I've been using for over four years... hands down. No contest. No argument. No comparison. If you think you can engineer a better goggle, go for it. I certainly won't be buying YOURs because you can't and you won't. I'm gonna go enjoy my awesome goggles some more... I'm out...

Nonsense.. they do not "suggest" any such focal distance, and you know it.... evidently you don't even understand plain english. "Equivalent to" and focal distance aren't even close to the same thing. Where did you say you went to school? Are you being intentionally bull headed and dense, or does that come naturally to you?

You also clearly don't have a clue about how to build pixel free goggles- you brag about a vapor-ware product as if you are king of optics. Well guess what... you failed in that regard.

Ya know what- these work WAY WAY better than any analog FPV goggles I've been using for over four years... hands down. No contest. No argument. No comparison. If you think you can engineer a better goggle, go for it. I certainly won't be buying YOURs because you can't and you won't. I'm gonna go enjoy my awesome goggles some more... I'm out...

You're entitled to your opinion, albeit wrong in this case. Also, there's no reason to be insulting. The admin has already warned you.

I'm sorry that I come from a background of knowledge and experience in this area and you don't which makes you angry. I'm glad to see that you've decided you can't win this due to your lack of knowledge in the area and have left. Probably for the better, you were going to get banned anyway due to your insults and tone.

Tim

[QUOTE="4 people on Earth who have mild myopia or don't know what a clear image should look like means nothing when the facts are so clear. Those 4 people are considered noise."

"4 people on earth" and the rest don't know what they are seeing? You are correct on one part, some people are considered noise. At least one person I know of for sure who continues to insult everyone's intelligence who says they can see the screen clearly. You sir are clearly the only one with a trained eye who can speak on this subject. At least that's what you keep telling us. I hope now that you've told us several times over that we are all just too dumb to know we can't see the screen clearly you will drop off this thread so the moderators won't close it, because it is still a very useful thread for those looking, AND WILLING to accept the help others on this thread have given. I for one am grateful for your keen eyesight and superior knowledge and am dropping off the thread for I am not worthy to further comment on the subject. I'm going to go out and enjoy flying with my blurry goggles.

Tim[/QUOTE]

So that was fun eh? While we allow civil discussions we don't allow the belittling of others on the forum. If you don't agree, and your statements didn't win them over, just let it go. Some people love nothing more than to argue about petty things. With that, we will be closing this thread since some participants can't seem to get along.

avYV9qO.gif

Reactions: Atko and dirkclod
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member