DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Goggles vs Epson Moverio

Sndflea

Reactions
Cost aside, is one preferable to the other. Does anyone own both? If so, strengths and weaknesses of each. I wear glasses, will that make a difference in the selection process? Can either be used with products other than a DJI drone - i.e. watch movies, play games etc? How hard is it to get used to the "see through" feature of the Moverio? I like the size of the Moverio but how is the image quality vs the DJI product? What else should I take into consideration before I purchase one or the other.

Dji goggles have two important advantages for me:
  • Can be used with regular prescription glasses
  • Provide excellent visibility in sunny weather
I presume Epson falls short in both aspects (to be confirmed by Epson users)

DJI goggles have HDMI in to use with other inputs. They also have the highest resolution in the industry with 1080 in each eye. Head tracking, built in touch screen, and ability to control drone functions from the goggles sealed it for me.

I have the Moverio BT-300 glasses and Fat Shark FPV goggles, but not the DJI goggles. I am not an avid fan of the BT-300 glasses, but they do have the one advantage of being able to switch back and forth quickly between looking at the screen and looking over/under the screen to see my drone. In order to really see the screen clearly I have to use the darkest sun shade on it, even on a cloudy day. The BT-300 glasses are not adjustable for inter-pupil distance, which is a major design flaw in my opinion. I'm nearsighted (the BT-300 apparently is designed for distance vision) so I have to use corrective lenses. I tried using my own glasses with the included nose-bridge attachment, but the BT-300 sat almost all the way down on the tip of my nose to focus, making its use awkward. I bought Rochester prescription inserts and that made clarity much better and it sits more normally on my nose, although that was another $200 expense. My vision to the sides of the BT-300 screen is a bit blurry, and sometimes a little double-image, which I attribute to the inability to adjust the inter-pupil distance. With my FPV goggles, and I assume similar with the DJI goggles, it's more of an immersive experience. The only thing you see is the screen. That's problematic when I land my drone, as I really like to see what's to the left and right. The DJI goggles have a flip-up capability, so maybe that's the answer. I'm looking at picking up DJI Goggles, but I won't be getting rid of my BT-300 glasses. Despite the drawbacks I mentioned, the BT-300 glasses do fill a need for me with the ability to simultaneously see the screen and the drone. If I was told I could only have one or the other I think I would go for the DJI Goggles. If the Moverio glasses had adjustable inter-pupil distance these would really be great.

If so, strengths and weaknesses of each.
Here are the main differences:
  • The DJI Goggles have an immersive view. The Moverio BT-300 glasses have a smaller screen that appears to float in the air.
  • The DJI Goggles block out all outside light (which means you cannot see around them without flipping them up). The Moverio BT-300 glasses wear more like sunglasses.
  • The DJI Goggles can be used along with your mobile device running DJI GO. The Moverio BT-300 glasses can only be flown with the small, screenless Android device they come packed with.
  • The DJI Goggles are much larger and heavier than the Moverio BT-300 glasses.
  • The DJI Goggles are running DJI software that allow you to access flight modes, enable head tracking, etc. See more details here.

I wear glasses, will that make a difference in the selection process?
Normal glasses can be worn with the DJI Goggles. If you wear readers, you can buy something like Focus-Fixers.

Rochester Optical makes prescription lenses for the Moverio BT-300 glasses.

Can either be used with products other than a DJI drone - i.e. watch movies, play games etc?
The DJI Goggles have an HDMI input, so they would be best for this purpose (see more details here). Due to the weight though, I don't know that you'll enjoy doing either for hours at a time.

How hard is it to get used to the "see through" feature of the Moverio?
The "see through" feature works great when using them indoors. When using them outside during the day, I have to attach the darkest shades to the glasses so I'm able to clearly see the picture in the glasses. After doing that, I can no longer clearly see through the picture in the glasses. It's still possible to look around the picture and see your Mavic.

I like the size of the Moverio but how is the image quality vs the DJI product?
The image quality is best in the DJI Goggles.

What else should I take into consideration before I purchase one or the other.
Check out this thread to learn more about the Moverio BT-300 glasses. They are pretty expensive, so you'll want to make sure they are a good fit for you before buying them.

Reactions: Ken Nash
Here are the main differences:
  • The DJI Goggles have an immersive view. The Moverio BT-300 glasses have a smaller screen that appears to float in the air.
  • The DJI Goggles block out all outside light (which means you cannot see around them without flipping them up). The Moverio BT-300 glasses wear more like sunglasses.
  • The DJI Goggles can be used along with your mobile device running DJI GO. The Moverio BT-300 glasses can only be flown with the small, screenless Android device they come packed with.
  • The DJI Goggles are much larger and heavier than the Moverio BT-300 glasses.
  • The DJI Goggles are running DJI software that allow you to access flight modes, enable head tracking, etc. See more details here.

Normal glasses can be worn with the DJI Goggles. If you wear readers, you can buy something like Focus-Fixers.

Rochester Optical makes prescription lenses for the Moverio BT-300 glasses.

The DJI Goggles have an HDMI input, so they would be best for this purpose (see more details here). Due to the weight though, I don't know that you'll enjoy doing either for hours at a time.

The "see through" feature works great when using them indoors. When using them outside during the day, I have to attach the darkest shades to the glasses so I'm able to clearly see the picture in the glasses. After doing that, I can no longer clearly see through the picture in the glasses. It's still possible to look around the picture and see your Mavic.

The image quality is best in the DJI Goggles.

Check out this thread to learn more about the Moverio BT-300 glasses. They are pretty expensive, so you'll want to make sure they are a good fit for you before buying them.
Thanks for the feedback. Suspect the DJI Goggles will work best for me. BHP has them on sale for $349. Everyone else is at $399. Has anyone seen a price better than $349?

Last edited:
I don't know FAA law but the impression I've got from reading various threads and watching assorted videos is that with the DJI, or any other "immersive" type devices you're not actually VLOS so require a spotter but since you can look over, under, or possibly through the Epsons you're OK.

In my opinion, there's also a personal safety issue with the goggles in that you're totally unaware of your surroundings and lose your situational awareness.

Reactions: Flycaster
I don't know FAA law but the impression I've got from reading various threads and watching assorted videos is that with the DJI, or any other "immersive" type devices you're not actually VLOS so require a spotter but since you can look over, under, or possibly through the Epsons you're OK
Per US law, the pilot must be able to see the aircraft with his/her unaided eyes. That means you cannot use a spotter and looking around an image occasionally doesn't seem to fit the bill either.

In my opinion, there's also a personal safety issue with the goggles in that you're totally unaware of your surroundings and lose your situational awareness.
In my experience, this is definitely true. I would never use my DJI Goggles to take off, land, or fly in locations where there are lots of nearby obstacles.

In my experience, this is definitely true. I would never use my DJI Goggles to take off, land, or fly in locations where there are lots of nearby obstacles.

I wasn't even thinking about the operation of the Mavic - but that's a good thought. I was thinking more of someone coming up to you to do you personal harm.

Randy

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones