DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic Mini - Brown Odd Stuff

sr2z

Reactions
Hello everybody! I have the option to buy a DJI Mavic Mini drone with a controller and battery (nothing else, not even cables, but the seller says the drone wasn´t used much) for 199 euro. Would it be a good deal? A thing that concerns me are these brown spots inside the drone...dron (1).jpg

Last edited:
My first question is why there are photo’s of inside the drone? Why has it been dismantled? Secondly, that looks like dirt or mud, so I would guess this drone has been in a crash at some point and hit the dirt.

I wouldn’t buy it.

My first question is why there are photo’s of inside the drone? Why has it been dismantled? Secondly, that looks like dirt or mud, so I would guess this drone has been in a crash at some point and hit the dirt.

I wouldn’t buy it
The drone wasn´t dismantled, I just asked for a photo of the inside of the battery compartment. Just to be safe. I immediately asked about those brown spots, the answer I got was that it was because of overheating. Otherwise, the seller says that the drone is 100% functioning. Very odd indeed.

My mini is super clean on the inside with no markings at all, the picture suggests something has splashed up through the ventilation slits on the bottom of the body shell. I'd hate to see the underside of that circuit board.

Last edited:
The drone wasn´t dismantled, I just asked for a photo of the inside of the battery compartment. Just to be safe. I immediately asked about those brown spots, the answer I got was that it was because of overheating. Otherwise, the seller says that the drone is 100% functioning. Very odd indeed.
Have you asked to see the flight records? That’s one way of making sure the drone has actually ‘hasn’t been used much’.

My mini is super clean on the inside with no markings at all, the picture suggests something has splashed up through the ventilation slits on the bottom of the body shell. I'd hate to see the underside of that circuit board.
I agree, it’s definitely been in ‘something’ it shouldn’t have.

Reactions: sr2z
Have you asked to see the flight records? That’s one way of making sure the drone has actually ‘hasn’t been used much’.
Honestly, I haven´t yet. The only "proof" that the drone wasn´t flown too much is, that it still has the arm stickers on it...
I agree, there is definitely something wrong. But look at this image:
dron2.jpg
I can´t really spot anything weird on the underside of the drone. But yeah, he could have cleaned it.

Dirt or maybe rust spots??? Or burn marks, flight records to confirm before you buy

It only has to have flown once to have been ditched in water!
Makes sense! But it should be "100% functioning" (quoting the seller)
Dirt or maybe rust spots??? Or burn marks, flight records to confirm before you buy
Well, rust spots on plastic after a few uses would be very odd... The burn marks are more likely...

Anyway, I requested flight records right now! I will inform you guys as soon as I get a respond! Just to give you a little background: I´m on my way to get started in drone cinematography, and I´m looking for my first drone. This is just one option among many... The best offer I got was a Sparky, but those cute things aren´t too good for cintematography shots :(

We forget the Minis have their batteries installed into the body from the rear, so one can indeed peek inside without dismantling.

• Haha
If your aim is to get started with filming, I would suggest the Mini 2. You have the all-important 4K option and the Occusync between the drone and the controller is a huge step up from the original Mini 1 which will free you to concentrate on getting footage without worrying about possible loss of connection. We considered the Mini 1 a while back and definitely ruled it out, but the Mini 2 is a significant step up in a number of ways which will be important if you're serious about filming and photography.

Here's what I have written elsewhere on another thread: Great drone

• Love
Reactions: Flycaster and sr2z
Honestly, I haven´t yet. The only "proof" that the drone wasn´t flown too much is, that it still has the arm stickers on it...

I agree, there is definitely something wrong. But look at this image:
View attachment 121988
I can´t really spot anything weird on the underside of the drone. But yeah, he could have cleaned it.
Still having the stickers doesn't mean anything. They don't affect flight so why remove them? I never took mine off as there's no reason to.

Still having the stickers doesn't mean anything. They don't affect flight so why remove them? I never took mine off as there's no reason to.
I know, that´s why I´m waiting for the flight records. I´ll post them here ASAP.
If your aim is to get started with filming, I would suggest the Mini 2. You have the all-important 4K option and the Occusync between the drone and the controller is a huge step up from the original Mini 1 which will free you to concentrate on getting footage without worrying about possible loss of connection. We considered the Mini 1 a while back and definitely ruled it out, but the Mini 2 is a significant step up in a number of ways which will be important if you're serious about filming and photography.

Here's what I have written elsewhere on another thread: Great drone
I would LOVE to have the Mavic Mini 2... Unfortunately, as a young student, I cannot really afford to buy a new one (600 euro for the fly more combo). That´s why I´m looking into used, second-hand Mavic Minis. I don´t think the 2,7K would be a problem, but the lack of occusync could be. I plan to start with the Mini 1, then, when I gain some experience (and earn som money) move up to a higher model.

199 sounds like a good deal even with those brown spots, whatever they are, but need proof it flies properly, gimbal moves properly, and camera outputs clean.

If it never had refresh, you could get that as insurance.

wasn´t flown too much is, that it still has the arm stickers on it...
Thats a corker, my nearing 700 flights MM still has the arm stickers on, lol.

In terms of the DAT file filename (and its counter) and the '"index" counter' in the txt flight logs, the flight records are, UNFORTUNATELY, only an indication of which one hundred of flights the drone is in, the DAT file counter resets to zero at 99+1, likewise the index counter.

There might be a DAT on the mSD card but what it does contain or might contain is anyones guess, see post 13 in LOGs inside the SD card - I WANT TO KNOW

The total number of charges across all the batteries may be of some use but then again you might not have bought all the batteries etc. Batty Charge count is shown in the app and the txt flight log.

Similarily the photo names might be of some use but are easily reset both upwards and downwards. Also the photo etc. counter resets at 999+1, at which point a new storage folder is creates which might be DCIM0002 or something similar.

Thats a corker, my nearing 700 flights MM still has the arm stickers on, lol.

In terms of the DAT file filename (and its counter) and the '"index" counter' in the txt flight logs, the flight records are, UNFORTUNATELY, only an indication of which one hundred of flights the drone is in, the DAT file counter resets to zero at 99+1, likewise the index counter.

There might be a DAT on the mSD card but what it does contain or might contain is anyones guess, see post 13 in LOGs inside the SD card - I WANT TO KNOW

The total number of charges across all the batteries may be of some use but then again you might not have bought all the batteries etc. Batty Charge count is shown in the app and the txt flight log.

Similarily the photo names might be of some use but are easily reset both upwards and downwards. Also the photo etc. counter resets at 999+1, at which point a new storage folder is creates which might be DCIM0002 or something similar.
Doesn’t Fly keep a log of all flights? Go used to. He could just ask for screen shots of that?

Doesn’t Fly keep a log of all flights? Go used to.
Yes they do but it's not difficult to remove logs and there isn't a quick way to check if logs have been removed.
He could just ask for screen shots of that?
If by screen captures you mean the running totals page, then that is true .....BUT the running totals reflect the only the totals for the flights currently on the phone, if you add logs from elsewhere or delete logs then the totals change.
NOR will the running totals include flights flown under the 'control' of another phone..... unless both phones sync etc. etc.
As such the running totals are guides only, not definitive Ok if a drone's history shows 300 flights in its total page then you can say yes it's been well used, but if it shows say 10 or 30 or .... flights you can't really be sure without further checking.

The pity of it is, that the DAT file counter on the P3 looks to be heading for a switch point of 999+ which is IMO far far more sensible which also means that the index counter in the txt log goes to, at a guess, 999+

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, that´s why I´m waiting for the flight records. I´ll post them here ASAP.

I would LOVE to have the Mavic Mini 2... Unfortunately, as a young student, I cannot really afford to buy a new one (600 euro for the fly more combo). That´s why I´m looking into used, second-hand Mavic Minis. I don´t think the 2,7K would be a problem, but the lack of occusync could be. I plan to start with the Mini 1, then, when I gain some experience (and earn som money) move up to a higher model.

If your buying used , Mavic Pro’s and Platinum might be an alternative to a Mini 1, they would certainly have better flight performance in strong winds and have better 4K cameras. Ocusync on the MP is better than the enhanced wi-fi of the MM1 for signal quality and range. Also MP’s have obstacle avoidance and waypoints (if you use Litchi).

Last edited:
If your buying used , Mavic Pro’s and Platinum might be an alternative to a Mini 1, they would certainly have better flight performance in strong winds and have better 4K cameras. Ocusync on the MP is better than the enhanced wi-fi of the MM1 for signal quality and range. Also MP’s have obstacle avoidance and waypoints (if you use Litchi).
Used Mavic Pro´s etc. are on the exact same price here as MM2´s, so I would think of them as a next step. I still insist on starting with the MM1, because of the price, portability... Used MM2´s aren´t on sale yet, it´s still a relatively new drone. I WILL be upgrading over time, I just want to start simple. The lack of occusync shouldn´t be as big of a problem, because I will be flying mainly in nature, where WiFi interferance will be minimal... Aaand I need to get used to the controls, so no 3km filghts anytime soon ?

Yes they do but it's not difficult to remove logs and there isn't a quick way to check if logs have been removed.

If by screen captures you mean the running totals page, then that is true .....BUT the running totals reflect the only the totals for the flights currently on the phone, if you add logs from elsewhere or delete logs then the totals change.
NOR will the running totals include flights flown under the 'control' of another phone..... unless both phones sync etc. etc.
As such the running totals are guides only, not definitive Ok if a drone's history shows 300 flights in its total page then you can say yes it's been well used, but if it shows say 10 or 30 or .... flights you can't really be sure without further checking.

The pity of it is, that the DAT file counter on the P3 looks to be heading for a switch point of 999+ which is IMO far far more sensible which also means that the index counter in the txt log goes to, at a guess, 999+
I´ll see what I get today, the seller still hasn´t sent me anything...
"The drone was used only for a while, it was not in the air more than 10 times, and the price is low because I do not have all the accessories, just what is in the photo." This is the answer I got right after I asked about the amount of battery cycles and why is the price so low.
199 sounds like a good deal even with those brown spots, whatever they are, but need proof it flies properly, gimbal moves properly, and camera outputs clean.

If it never had refresh, you could get that as insurance.
Well yes, I thought that as well, I just need to get the proof... The sad thing is, that because of the pandemic, I can´t even visit the seller and see for myself.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven