DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mavic privacy / backdoor

Because since iCloud is a thing iTunes has been less and less required to manage iOS devices, so most people nowadays will have forgotten or will never even have known you can do that. It's not useful for any other app either.

Oh, you use iCloud? That's your first problem... I keep my data on my own computers so that it is not sitting online, out of my control, where I could lose access to at any moment, and is sitting there for anyone to hack into 24x7. Most people who are into UAVs are fairy technical and can figure out iTunes... There is a lot of information already out there on how to download old versions and not just in regards to DJI Go. Many people have done that for many different apps and for many different reasons. Downloading previous versions after the fact is a little tricky, but you can very easily just backup old versions of any app as you go. People are often wanting to downgrade an app after a poor update that broke it or removed key features.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
I don't have a problem. I'm just saying that probably >95% of iOS users use the thing "as it's meant" and nowadays that would lead them not to know they can download apps via iTunes, which explains why the question comes up regularly.

I have just registered on the EASA website on the proposed drone rules that they're making. Other forum members might like to do this also, requires registration at EASA CRT application . Here is what I posted as a comment;

There is information on the drone forums (and specifically on the forum for the DJI Mavic Pro) which indicates that the drone application sends information to a large number of servers. What information isn't known. See the thread at DJI Mavic privacy / backdoor .

In the interests of the rights of privacy that we EU citizens enjoy and which is protected by law, I suggest that Part MRK includes provisions which will make the following things necessary for CE compliance;

1. UAS may only send information back to internet servers with the explicit permission of the UAS owner.

2. Any information that is sent must be copied to the registered email address of the UAS owner.

3. The UAS owner must have the right to opt out of such communications without any penalty, including specifically not restricting the UAS functionality in any way.

I have just registered on the EASA website on the proposed drone rules that they're making. Other forum members might like to do this also, requires registration at EASA CRT application . Here is what I posted as a comment;

There is information on the drone forums (and specifically on the forum for the DJI Mavic Pro) which indicates that the drone application sends information to a large number of servers. What information isn't known. See the thread at DJI Mavic privacy / backdoor .

In the interests of the rights of privacy that we EU citizens enjoy and which is protected by law, I suggest that Part MRK includes provisions which will make the following things necessary for CE compliance;

1. UAS may only send information back to internet servers with the explicit permission of the UAS owner.

2. Any information that is sent must be copied to the registered email address of the UAS owner.

3. The UAS owner must have the right to opt out of such communications without any penalty, including specifically not restricting the UAS functionality in any way.
Your request is simple and very reasonable I cant see why it would not be amended into EU rights of privacy

You may want to read DJI's Privacy Policy.

DJI Privacy Policy - Everything You Need To Know

You may opt out at any time by not using the product and closing your account.

You have already agreed to the terms and conditions when you created the DJI account.

-G

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkWerx's
You may want to read DJI's Privacy Policy.

DJI Privacy Policy - Everything You Need To Know
I have browsed through these B4 and Find that the wording We May / You May really means We Will / You will lolllllll
I find there policy's to be contradictive from one paragraph to the next
I use an Android device and B4 downloading from the play store you have to accept an agreement that shows a list you have to accept too. At the top of the list is you will agree with the application to make "system configuration and setting changes" there is no longer a need to continue to read the list of acceptance. Changes to your system settings and configuration's says it all .
The DJI GO4 app runs in the background 24/7 , you can remove it from running in the BG temporally only to find it started up again within 5mins this continues to happen weather your online or not . This issue was a Topic of discussion in another Forum maintained by DJI , The only way so far to stop the communication was to install a firewall or to root your Device or don't expose it to the InterWeb
The installation of taking these actions by installing a firewall were met with strong resistance . You can still find the original Thread and see for yourself over at the DJI's Mavic forum --- Xman1 is the original author of the thread

They track you with "Big Data Analytics" now everywhere not just your drone. Dji's Privacy Policy refers to google and 3rd party data collection via cookies. GPS is also collected with your smart device for targeted advertising Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Yahoo the big Telcos all have your personal data waiting for a large Breach.

They have a Army of Lawyers and a large lobby it's too late you've been Pwned.

Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach.

Have I been pwned? Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

Last edited:
They track you with "Big Data Analytics" now everywhere not just your drone. Dji's Privacy Policy refers to google and 3rd party data collection via cookies. GPS is also collected with your smart device for targeted advertising Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo the big Telcos all have your personal data waiting for a large Breach.

They have a Army of Lawyers and a large lobby it's too late you've been Pwned.

Check if you have an account that has been compromised in a data breach.

Have I been pwned? Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach
My email has not been compromised.
Not only do they have an army of lawyers , they also have a virtual army of cronies on the interweb to shoot down any sensitive information that can harm DJI's 100% perfect system and reputation with it's customers ---- Just be prepared to meet resistance if you voice a negative opinion ---- Im trying to understand why the close minded cronies are not jumping all over this Thread ?? Maybe they feel there out numbered here ???

Reactions: Vilco
Another dynamic is we all know how the Chinese Government is involved in Chinese Business. The Chinese Government invested heavily to dominate the emerging industries like solar panels and autonomous vehicles. (Drones)?

World War III will be won or lost with autonomous vehicles so there is a lot at stake here.

I don't want to get to off topic here.

Rant Over

-G

Another dynamic is we all know how the Chinese Government is involved in Chinese Business. The Chinese Government invested heavily to dominate the emerging industries like solar panels and autonomous vehicles. (Drones)?

World War III will be won or lost with autonomous vehicles so there is a lot at stake here.

I don't want to get to off topic here.

Rant Over

-G
I don't feel your off Topic at all, What really vexes me is that DJI claim to have invented the Drone while the technology has always been in use . DJI seems to get confused between the meanings of Invent and Innovate
Intel and Yuneec teaming up together and is knocking on DJI's door as of now with there Typhoon 5 hundred and 9 hundred series Drones
lollll DJI is not happy about it and dosent want any competition . They have already been to court in the US , DJI is claiming there has been an infringement on there OA patent and I guess they lost

So my approach was to block DNS requests to your list of domains here on my home router which would be used for version/firmware checking, but allow the map downloads. Then I would only use DJI Go 4 when connected to my home VPN on my tablet sending cellular data through my home router. However after blocking DNS requests for each of these I still get the firmware warning, so something seems to be missing. Any idea how it is checking for firmware updates?

Static IP usage? I'm sure DJI can use them. Have to check logs other than DNS requests

Got it worked out, that's what the above video shows.
Can you post the list of all the domains you blocked to finally get this? I read in your earlier post that after you blocked the initial list on the 1st post, it was still able to check for firmware updates...

You nailed it down perfectly, expecially points 1 and 3

Reactions: OPphoto
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78