DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 3 ATTI mode crash

dimuc

Reactions
HI

My DJI mini 3 Pro crashed at launch, basically it flew into trees.

I received a response from DJI as based on flight records as follows:

1. The GPS signal was weak after the aircraft took off, the aircraft enter Atti mode at T=00:10;
2. Flight Time T=00:13, Relative Height H=18 m, the aircraft crashed under ATTI mode;
3. In Attitude mode, the aircraft could not hover in place, brake and nor could it avoid obstacles automatically. Please fly with caution.

As a conclusion, according to the analysis, the incident was caused by an improper flight environment. Therefore, it is concluded to have no warranty. Please pay attention to the flight environment and fly with caution.

DJI have offered flyaway replacement fee (219 GBP).

Is there any option to challenge this? from my viewpoint at launch I climbed vertically and the drone went 'nuts' and did its own thing, I suspect it went horizontally into trees.

• Wow
Reactions: eva2000
Is there any option to challenge this?
Yes ... but you would have to have a good case with solid evidence to show that DJI's analysis was incorrect and that the incident was caused by a DJI issue.

Post your flight data and some more description of what happened and someone here can look into it and explain in more detail than DJI did, what happened, and whether it looks like you would have a case or not.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides, or just post the .txt file

It seems that DJI already has the flight log data.
Do you believe that data is incorrect? Did your fly app show you had adequate satellites before takeoff? Did the screen show ATTI mode? If the screen did not show sufficient satellites and the screen showed ATTI mode you would have been wise to not fly unless you were skilled at flying in ATTI mode.

Reactions: Bandit1 and rx7ward
It seems that DJI already has the flight log data.
Do you believe that data is incorrect? Did your fly app show you had adequate satellites before takeoff? Did the screen show ATTI mode? If the screen did not show sufficient satellites and the screen showed ATTI mode you would have been wise to not fly unless you were skilled at flying in ATTI mode.
If the answers to the questions is no then should there be a safeguard to prevent you from launching.?

If the answers to the questions is no then should there be a safeguard to prevent you from launching.?
The safeguard is that you are expected to have read the instruction manual and understand the limitations of ATTI mode flight.

@dimuc unfortunately that safeguard is you ,you should not take off till you get the home point has been recorded message please view it on the map ,getting satellite lock, is not the same as the drone not being able to fly, due to it being in restricted airspace ,such as a nearby airport

@dimuc unfortunately that safeguard is you ,you should not take off till you get the home point has been recorded message please view it on the map ,getting satellite lock, is not the same as the drone not being able to fly, due to it being in restricted airspace ,such as a nearby airport
The flight log (DJI App> Flight Data Centre) shows an Altitude 18m and distance 0m, I recall trying to gain altitude but after that it had a mind of its own, it ended up in trees, upside down, even though I could hear it I couldn't see it :(

Just post your flight log ex phantomhelp (see link in post #3).
You can stop guessing and get the help you asked for, and offered by two of the analytical minds here.
Problem is the mini 3 RC controller when mounted to my PC does not let me view any files and therefore unable to obtain flight records. I have reached out to DJI and asked for the flight record.

Problem is the mini 3 RC controller when mounted to my PC does not let me view any files and therefore unable to obtain flight records. I have reached out to DJI and asked for the flight record.
Read this article

Sorry to hear about this.

Three things if you haven’t already been there and done that.

Have you tried DJIAssistant 2 for Consumers?
I believe you can export to your pc using it (local export).

I can’t seem to see RC SD card data when I attach it to my PC by any reader, nor can I see all the imaging. If I hook up through a usb c cable and look through Using File Explorer I typically can.

I know I checked a Synch data option and signed up with one of the online data viewers and allowed my files to go to them. Can’t recal who at the moment, maybe someone can chime in, but it worked.

Ah, a 4th thing to try…There’s also an option to look at flight logs on RC. Double swipe down to get to black and white menu, look at bottom left corner, click more or page 2 (can’t recall that either). <~wrong. Go to fly more screen, profile, bottom left / more

Hmmm through all the crazy post 1.6.8 updates and reflashing of firmware, I recall that in one iteration the M3P took off and immediately turtles over on the landing pad like two or three times in a row. I’m certain I had 29-30 satellites and was all good to go. I assumed I was doing something wrong. It went away on its own. I am sure I power cycled during the aircraft inspections. Wonder if these were same things.

I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
The RC controller does allow you to view your files, but like all Android devices, when you plug it i, the default connection type just allows charging.
You probably need to enable transfer of files.

When you connect the controller, swipe downwards from the top of the screen to see what connection type you have, like this screenshot from an Android phone:
i-JrPRh5d-L.jpg

Tap an that to open up a list of options and select Transferring Files.
Then you will you have access to the internal file structure
i-j3rMcv3-L.jpg

There are situations where you might need to launch without having GPS reception and that can be perfectly safe to do.
If DJI locked down the drone to prevent flying without GPS, it wouldn't be possible to fly indoors or in other environments where GPS is restricted.

Hi

Please find the flight data, does not seem to be much data to work from...

Hi

There's more data than Airdata shows in its summary report.
There are 70 lines of data covering what happened over 13 seconds of flight.
Because there was no GPS at all, we have no position information, speed or distance.
But we do have compass and height data, as well as joystick data.

Another thing that's missing is detail about what actually happened, so I'll need to to help fill in some information blanks.

You said .. I climbed vertically and the drone went 'nuts' and did its own thing, I suspect it went horizontally into trees.
The data shows you climbing to 18 metres and twice making small changes to the way the drone was pointing.
What do you mean by the drone went 'nuts' and did its own thing, I suspect it went horizontally into trees.
How far have to move to find the trees?
How fast did it move toward the trees?
What direction did it move?

You only used the left stick, to climb and to rotate the drone.
You made no directional movement.
The pitch and roll data show only tiny angles, almost all <1°).
This indicates the drone was just hovering and stable.
There's no sign of it motoring away on its own.
But without GPS, it would have lacked horizontal position holding and "brakes".
It could have drifted on any winds.

The first mystery is: Why was there no GPS?
Can you explain the place you launched from?
Was it out in the open where the drone would have had a good sky view .. or were there trees, tall buildings, a roof or some other obstacles blocking some or all of the skyview?

The data indictates that the drone was facing towards the southwest as it was on the ground waiting to launch.
Was this correct?
What was the surface that you launched from?

What can you tell about the crash?
Was it at speed or did the drone slowly drift into something?
What happened when it crashed?
The data showing the impact is unusual and suddenly stops without seeing the drone tumble or fall.

Hi

That file confirms what you described - the aircraft had not acquired a GNSS position lock and you launched in ATTI mode. You then provided no stick inputs to control the aircraft, which was therefore held in level attitude by the FC and drifted with the wind until it hit an obstacle at 13.2 seconds into the flight.

That is entirely pilot error, as concluded by DJI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan