DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI refuse to honor their warranty on Mavic 2 Zoom less than a month old.

I can see where DJI is coming from. You crashed your drone. You then update firmware twice and flight logs got deleted. DJI can't just fixed the software and return a broken/scratched drone. It comes with the risk that they touched it last and can be blamed for future crashes. If they are going to fix the firmware under warranty, they need to be sure the drone is in working order before sending back, which means fixing the broken bits. Not for free, since it's pilot error.

Every time we update Fw, logs are being deleted too?

I think the problem is in the way DJI handles warranty issues.

We don't take our drones back, after a repair. They send us another drone.
Our drone goes for repair, and it will be sent to another user.

You wanted apas been fixed, but they should fix all other damages, so they could send it to another customer. That's why they charge you for a gimpal etc.

I don't agree with their policy, just my 2 cents, because I have some experience of their customer care service.

Reactions: Former Member
DJI must found out I was piss or something when I try to register with DJI forum, Received an email to activate but once i click on it it says You're not authorize to post..LOL

FYI re DJI Forums.
To be allowed to post on DJI Forums you need to accumulate, I believe, "40 points" . You get 10 points for each day that log on to the site. You also accumulate points for participation. Points can apparently be used for discounts on DJI purchases.

No. But anytime the aircraft is on the logs are running, so if you leave it on for ages mucking around then log rotation which deletes oldest ones to make room for newer ones will delete the flight at some point.

After reading through this entire thread and the litany of responses from our members, it is absolutely possible that the OP is not in error. He mentioned that the drone needed calibration before every flight, which is a symptom of the bug in the internal clock reporting the wrong year. He also mentioned that it was not flying correctly In an intelligent flight mode. DJI wants us to upload our flight logs but why don't they look at the dat files that are always on the drone?

This is a case of DJI once again assuming that you are guilty and having you to prove that you are innocent. In the law, it's the opposite. You are innocent until proven guilty. DJI is guessing that it is operator error because of the crash evidence. However they cannot prove what caused the crash and are asking the drone owner to incriminate himself by providing the evidence.

DJI as usual needs to step up to the plate with their customer service and take care of their loyal customers. These are not $60 Air Hog helicopter toys they are $1500 hobby class drones.

Last edited:

I think the problem is in the way DJI handles warranty issues.

We don't take our drones back, after a repair. They send us another drone.
Our drone goes for repair, and it will be sent to another user.

You wanted apas been fixed, but they should fix all other damages, so they could send it to another customer. That's why they charge you for a gimpal etc.

I don't agree with their policy, just my 2 cents, because I have some experience of their customer care service.
I agree

Reactions: Thealien
After reading through this entire thread and the litany of responses from our members, it is absolutely possible that the OP is not in error. He mentioned that the drone needed calibration before every flight, which is a symptom of the bug in the internal clock reporting the wrong year. He also mentioned that it was not flying correctly In an intelligent flight mode. DJI wants us to upload our flight logs but why don't they look at the dat files that are always on the drone?

This is a case of DJI once again assuming that you are guilty and having you to prove that you are innocent. In the law, it's the opposite. You are innocent until proven guilty. DJI is guessing that it is operator error because of the crash evidence. However they cannot prove what caused the crash and are asking the drone owner to incriminate himself by providing the evidence.

DJI as usual needs to step up to the plate with their customer service and take care of their loyal customers. These are not $60 Air Hog helicopter toys they are $1500 hobby class drones.

Yea but this isn't a court of law and they set the standard before purchase. You enter that "contract" with open eyes. You're exactly right, it's a lot easier for a company to just replace a $60 toy, regardless of the circumstances, than it is a $1500 drone. Let's be honest, I've done it myself, I crash a drone and want to blame the equipment but it's almost always been my fault. It's like when you lose at a video game and stare at the controller!!!

I'm not saying that there wasn't a problem but then again, why wait to send it back or contact them? I would have at least contacted them of it were doing what he described. You know? I'm just saying as a service provider myself, I can see their point of view. For better or worse, lots of these companies don't subscribe to our "the customer is always right" philosophy. By all accounts, you run a very reputable company but I doubt you would just take a customer's word for it after you repaired a drone and it crashed. Would you?

Yea but this isn't a court of law and they set the standard before purchase. You enter that "contract" with open eyes. You're exactly right, it's a lot easier for a company to just replace a $60 toy, regardless of the circumstances, than it is a $1500 drone. Let's be honest, I've done it myself, I crash a drone and want to blame the equipment but it's almost always been my fault. It's like when you lose at a video game and stare at the controller!!!

I'm not saying that there wasn't a problem but then again, why wait to send it back or contact them? I would have at least contacted them of it were doing what he described. You know? I'm just saying as a service provider myself, I can see their point of view. For better or worse, lots of these companies don't subscribe to our "the customer is always right" philosophy. By all accounts, you run a very reputable company but I doubt you would just take a customer's word for it after you repaired a drone and it crashed. Would you?

You make very valid points.

Let's be honest, I've done it myself, I crash a drone and want to blame the equipment but it's almost always been my fault. It's like when you lose at a video game and stare at the controller!!!

I know what youre saying and its easy for a person to want to blame the equipment as a reflex. It even when it happens in the majors when a player throws his bat or blames the batboy. I try not to blame the equipment when it's my fault, I learned to fess up to my shortcomings, it just makes life easier for me. One of my playmates when I was a kid always came out with all the most expensive equipment to play baseball, and he never got to first base. He would blame the equipment and we would all just shake our heads.

I'm not saying that there wasn't a problem but then again, why wait to send it back or contact them?

I give the OP credit for not sending it back ASAP and trying to work through the problem. Yes, in hindsight, he would have been better off and probably still have a drone, but it's sad how it ended up, and now DJI wants to blame him for it. Standard DJI philosophy.

For better or worse, lots of these companies don't subscribe to our "the customer is always right" philosophy. By all accounts, you run a very reputable company but I doubt you would just take a customer's word for it after you repaired a drone and it crashed. Would you?

Thank you for that statement. My wife and I were just having this conversation this morning. She believes that the customer is always right, and it just makes life easier if you subscribe to that philosophy in business. Walmart does it, Amazon does it, B and H Photo does it, and they are all my business role models. Quick refunds and no questions asked. Yes, there are rare occasions where a customer is just plain out lying, he knows it and I know it, but out of the thousands of drone transactions I have done, I can count on my hand the number of unreasonable or deceitful people I have dealt with. It's all part of the game, and it's best not to let one of them get in the way of establishing a successful business. DJI has been very, very fortunate since thats not always the philosophy they subscribe to.

OP did say he did contact DJI and they told him to reinstall Go and all that jazz that can potentially delete logs.
I agree DJI would want to fix any broken component so as to not get blamed for new problems but a scratched gimbal is not a broken gimbal.

They do indeed repair, not unequivocally replace. Only if you have refresh and claim it will they completely replace.

You make very valid points.

Let's be honest, I've done it myself, I crash a drone and want to blame the equipment but it's almost always been my fault. It's like when you lose at a video game and stare at the controller!!!

I know what youre saying and its easy for a person to want to blame the equipment as a reflex. It even when it happens in the majors when a player throws his bat or blames the batboy. I try not to blame the equipment when it's my fault, I learned to fess up to my shortcomings, it just makes life easier for me. One of my playmates when I was a kid always came out with all the most expensive equipment to play baseball, and he never got to first base. He would blame the equipment and we would all just shake our heads.

I'm not saying that there wasn't a problem but then again, why wait to send it back or contact them?

I give the OP credit for not sending it back ASAP and trying to work through the problem. Yes, in hindsight, he would have been better off and probably still have a drone, but it's sad how it ended up, and now DJI wants to blame him for it. Standard DJI philosophy.

For better or worse, lots of these companies don't subscribe to our "the customer is always right" philosophy. By all accounts, you run a very reputable company but I doubt you would just take a customer's word for it after you repaired a drone and it crashed. Would you?

Thank you for that statement. My wife and I were just having this conversation this morning. She believes that the customer is always right, and it just makes life easier if you subscribe to that philosophy in business. Walmart does it, Amazon does it, B and H Photo does it, and they are all my business role models. Quick refunds and no questions asked. Yes, there are rare occasions where a customer is just plain out lying, he knows it and I know it, but out of the thousands of drone transactions I have done, I can count on my hand the number of unreasonable or deceitful people I have dealt with. It's all part of the game, and it's best not to let one of them get in the way of establishing a successful business. DJI has been very, very fortunate since thats not always the philosophy they subscribe to.

That's a very fair statement and I appreciate it.

Mild point of contention, B&H doesn't always subscribe to that philosophy in my experience. Which goes back to the point that no matter the company, there's always someone that hates them and speaks ill of their business practices.

I can only go by my personal experiences and the two times I needed service, they went well above and beyond what they were obligated to do or, quite frankly, what I expected considering all of the negative hyperbole concerning their customer service. Honestly, I've had much worse customer service from GoPro and GM and way less problems with their product. Don't get me started on Honda! They believe that their motorcycles are absolutely perfect and that's the perspective from which they approach customer service.

For what it's with, I'm a man of the people, so to speak, I hope that they ultimately take care of this guy. However, if they just laid down and replaced a $1500 drone every time someone crashed one without question. I'm not sure how long they would stay in business. The most honest among us would have a hard time not taking advantage of that situation.

Mild point of contention, B&H doesn't always subscribe to that philosophy in my experience. Which goes back to the point that no matter the company, there's always someone that hates them and speaks ill of their business practices.

Well, from my experience of 30 years of doing business with them, I have not had a single problem with B and H's customer service. I had ordered a few products out of hundreds that were either DOA, or broken, and they sent me immediate replacements, no questions asked. Immediate response, and great attitudes. These items were things as cheap as cassette tapes, to servers worth more than $3000 - $4000. If B and H can treat customers that well, there's no reason why DJI cant. Im the squeaky wheel when it comes to DJI. At least 30% of the transactions I have had with DJI have been negative, and Im only one of many.

Honestly, I've had much worse customer service from GoPro and GM and way less problems with their product. Don't get me started on Honda! They believe that their motorcycles are absolutely perfect and that's the perspective from which they approach customer service.

To be fair, alot depends on the dealer when it comes to cars and bikes. I have had the best reliability and customer service from Honda and Harley bikes, and the worst reliability and customer service for my BMW bikes. DJI, being their own dealer/manufacturer and requiring you to send your drone to them, are anything but impartial when it comes to deciding who is at fault when you send your drone in. At least with cars and bikes, you can just hop over to another dealer or repair shop for a second opinion. DJI is judge, jury and executioner, and their customers usually get guillotined. (sorry for the drama)

For what it's with, I'm a man of the people, so to speak, I hope that they ultimately take care of this guy. However, if they just laid down and replaced a $1500 drone every time someone crashed one without question. I'm not sure how long they would stay in business. The most honest among us would have a hard time not taking advantage of that situation.

Have you ever seen the returns line at Walmart? I wonder how the heck they stay in business, but the Waltons are some of the richest people in the world. They weight the risks and know that the majority of customers who shop there are honest, yet there are the scammers and cheaters. Still, life goes on, they take back your item, and you go buy something else. Walmart banks on the integrity of its customers, and it is a good gamble that has paid off for them. I bank on the integrity of my customers, and I know it will pay off for me. If not, I go back to to plan A; the customer is always right.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
When I was selling hardware to customers I tended to use the liars to cover honest people's mistakes. The guy who sends an item for warranty saying "that shite don't work" when it was obvious they had smashed and damaged it, reversed polarity or such would be offered a full price paid repair. Those who were honest and came asking how much it would cost to repair their mistake got it fixed for free. Made for very happy people in the latter case, and I also never had any of the former complain when their BS was politely pointed out to them, they were always ashamed enough to pay up.

My little, most likely insignificant effort to reward good behavior I suppose. Hard nowadays, unfortunately some companies are very stupid and do the opposite, I've already been punished for being honest when I'd have gotten a free fix had I done like every one else and completely lied pretending I had no idea. Oh well... that one company is never getting my business ever, nor any from people who ask me for recommendations.

I do feel your pain OP! I am in contact with DJI over a problem with my new zoom. In my long detailed email I explained my issue, what I had done to try and eliminate the problem. I also explained I also own a PRO 2 and all the cables, memory cards, and locations where the issue was happening is NOT happening to my PRO 2? And they email me back asking all the questions I already answered!

Ok guys here's an update. Before I post the update let me explain what happen or what my drone is doing. When I first got it I was very happy and please with it, 2 1/2 weeks later I notice that my APAS and active track not working correctly. I went out and did a test with the active track following me around a tree, we'll it detected the branches but would't stop it went into the branches about 4 miles or less per hour. and feel about 7 or 8 ft to the ground. (I have done that same test in the same area when i first got it and it was fine) that's where the damage to the right landing arm( just a small damage). So I call DJI tech support to explain to them what I was experiencing. Here's what i told them. I said my APAS does't work correctly when in flight it does't turn like it did before and when i press the APAS icon it turns blue but i don't see a display in the bottom middle saying APAS enable( the guy had no idea what i was talking about). Second my active track I only use trace mode would not dodge branches like it did before, and I don't know why there's a green icon that comes up saying slow and when i tap on it, it turns red and says fast, ( i remember that icon being green and says safe. ( He didn't know that either.) Third I have to calibrate the compass before each flight even though the compass displays good, and finally my last issue was that my radio control display poor receptions even thought my drone is 2 feet away.

So this is the update: After 3 emails to DJI and talking to 4 people including a supervisor, I received a phone call from DJI complaint in New Jersey ( I been dealing with LA DJI) he ask me to explain from start to end. which I did)
I quote this is what he said " If the product is defective and cause you to crash into the tree than it should be cover because it's not like it's an old unit, it's brand new just came out in Sept, I don't know why they would quote you for a gimble and a landing arm, it's got nothing to do with the problems you have."
You will be hearing from me within 1 business day, keeping my fingers cross
Oh forgot to mention that DJI told me to reinstall the DJI GO 4 apps (that's how i lost my flight record) and refresh the firmware with DJI ASSIST 2 ( refresh 2 times no help)
Images of Damaged Parts:

Last edited:
Well, from my experience of 30 years of doing business with them, I have not had a single problem with B and H's customer service. I had ordered a few products out of hundreds that were either DOA, or broken, and they sent me immediate replacements, no questions asked. Immediate response, and great attitudes. These items were things as cheap as cassette tapes, to servers worth more than $3000 - $4000. If B and H can treat customers that well, there's no reason why DJI cant. Im the squeaky wheel when it comes to DJI. At least 30% of the transactions I have had with DJI have been negative, and Im only one of many.

To be fair, alot depends on the dealer when it comes to cars and bikes. I have had the best reliability and customer service from Honda and Harley bikes, and the worst reliability and customer service for my BMW bikes. DJI, being their own dealer/manufacturer and requiring you to send your drone to them, are anything but impartial when it comes to deciding who is at fault when you send your drone in. At least with cars and bikes, you can just hop over to another dealer or repair shop for a second opinion. DJI is judge, jury and executioner, and their customers usually get guillotined. (sorry for the drama)

Have you ever seen the returns line at Walmart? I wonder how the heck they stay in business, but the Waltons are some of the richest people in the world. They weight the risks and know that the majority of customers who shop there are honest, yet there are the scammers and cheaters. Still, life goes on, they take back your item, and you go buy something else. Walmart banks on the integrity of its customers, and it is a good gamble that has paid off for them. I bank on the integrity of my customers, and I know it will pay off for me. If not, I go back to to plan A; the customer is always right.

I'm not an insider but I'd guess that Wal-Mart's margins are slightly higher than DJI's... Just saying. Wal-Mart's return policy is so lax because they simply don't care. They literally throw away a very large percentage of their returns because it's not worth the shipping and handling costs to send it back to the vendors. You are in a very specific realm right now in regard to the types of customers that you deal with. The largest demographic for prosumer drone buyers is older middle class dudes. If you owned a liquor store in the hood, your "trust your customers" perspective might change a little bit.

DJI owns 75% off the drone market. There has to be a reason for that. Besides, I'm sure that you can see that it's a numbers game. If you repair 20 drones a day and have 1% problems. Which is really good. You deal with one unhappy customer a week. If DJI has a 1% problem rate, that could be thousands of unhappy customers a week. They can't respond by sending all those people drones without proof that it's their fault.

Ok guys here's an update. Before I post the update let me explain what happen or what my drone is doing. When I first got it I was very happy and please with it, 2 1/2 weeks later I notice that my APAS and active track not working correctly. I went out and did a test with the active track following me around a tree, we'll it detected the branches but would't stop it went into the branches about 4 miles or less per hour. and feel about 7 or 8 ft to the ground. (I have done that same test in the same area when i first got it and it was fine) that's where the damage to the right landing arm( just a small damage). So I call DJI tech support to explain to them what I was experiencing. Here's what i told them. I said my APAS does't work correctly when in flight it does't turn like it did before and when i press the APAS icon it turns blue but i don't see a display in the bottom middle saying APAS enable( the guy had no idea what i was talking about). Second my active track I only use trace mode would not dodge branches like it did before, and I don't know why there's a green icon that comes up saying slow and when i tap on it, it turns red and says fast, ( i remember that icon being green and says safe. ( He didn't know that either.) Third I have to calibrate the compass before each flight even though the compass displays good, and finally my last issue was that my radio control display poor receptions even thought my drone is 2 feet away.

So this is the update: After 3 emails to DJI and talking to 4 people including a supervisor, I received a phone call from DJI complaint in New Jersey ( I been dealing with LA DJI) he ask me to explain from start to end. which I did)
I quote this is what he said " If the product is defective and cause you to crash into the tree than it should be cover because it's not like it's an old unit, it's brand new just came out in Sept, I don't know why they would quote you for a gimble and a landing arm, it's got nothing to do with the problems you have."
You will be hearing from me within 1 business day, keeping my fingers cross
Oh forgot to mention that DJI told me to reinstall the DJI GO 4 apps (that's how i lost my flight record) and refresh the firmware with DJI ASSIST 2 ( refresh 2 times no help)
Images of Damaged Parts:

Thanks for the update! I hope that you know that I'm in a debate with another guy about these types of situations in general. Nothing personal against you. I honestly hope that they take care of you. As I've previously stated, it also took a few emails but they took care of me as well when I crashed my drone. Good luck!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J