DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI refuse to honor their warranty on Mavic 2 Zoom less than a month old.

I'd want to see the underside of that motor but it looks like the leg, not the arm. I might see a reason they'd want to replace the leg. That is structural.
Gimbal looks almost perfect. If it tracks, moves freely in all directions and camera gives a good picture, there's nothing wrong with it.

Ok guys here's an update. Before I post the update let me explain what happen or what my drone is doing. When I first got it I was very happy and please with it, 2 1/2 weeks later I notice that my APAS and active track not working correctly. I went out and did a test with the active track following me around a tree, we'll it detected the branches but would't stop it went into the branches about 4 miles or less per hour. and feel about 7 or 8 ft to the ground. (I have done that same test in the same area when i first got it and it was fine) that's where the damage to the right landing arm( just a small damage). So I call DJI tech support to explain to them what I was experiencing. Here's what i told them. I said my APAS does't work correctly when in flight it does't turn like it did before and when i press the APAS icon it turns blue but i don't see a display in the bottom middle saying APAS enable( the guy had no idea what i was talking about). Second my active track I only use trace mode would not dodge branches like it did before, and I don't know why there's a green icon that comes up saying slow and when i tap on it, it turns red and says fast, ( i remember that icon being green and says safe. ( He didn't know that either.) Third I have to calibrate the compass before each flight even though the compass displays good, and finally my last issue was that my radio control display poor receptions even thought my drone is 2 feet away.

So this is the update: After 3 emails to DJI and talking to 4 people including a supervisor, I received a phone call from DJI complaint in New Jersey ( I been dealing with LA DJI) he ask me to explain from start to end. which I did)
I quote this is what he said " If the product is defective and cause you to crash into the tree than it should be cover because it's not like it's an old unit, it's brand new just came out in Sept, I don't know why they would quote you for a gimble and a landing arm, it's got nothing to do with the problems you have."
You will be hearing from me within 1 business day, keeping my fingers cross
Oh forgot to mention that DJI told me to reinstall the DJI GO 4 apps (that's how i lost my flight record) and refresh the firmware with DJI ASSIST 2 ( refresh 2 times no help)
Images of Damaged Parts:

It would be so nice to have a happy ending to this story.

Suggest you order from Frank at CarolinaDronz.com next time as he would have taken care of you without any hassle.

Not to tarnish reputations for those I don't know, but is he an authorized dealer? That's important because it has been stated that DJI can deny warranty and refresh on that account.

Not to tarnish reputations for those I don't know, but is he an authorized dealer? That's important because it has been stated that DJI can deny warranty and refresh on that account.

Absolutely yes, CarolinaDronz is a DJI authorized dealer… I’ve been doing business with them since 2015 and have purchased four different drones over the last three years. Frank is price competitive and extremely focused on great customer service… If you happen to get a bad drone, Frank simply replace it and he deals with manufacturer. In addition, Frank is a great source of honest advice and won’t try to sell you something that you don’t really need.

OP, thanks for the clarification. When you explained it that way, than it might not be your fault.
But I think you can understand, DJI could assume you've crashed your drone, damaged the gimbal and maybe internally, which causes the APAS and active track to stop working. You've flashed the fw, and lost any flight logs. So they don't know which came first. You could be honest with your version of events, ie APAS failed first, which resulted in a crash. But a liar could crash first and says the APAS stopped working causing the crash.
Hopefully, DJI is more understanding with your situation.

On a side note, I don't trust people who gets angry easily when things don't go the way they want. I feels like they are hiding something, and the raised voice is a way to scare the other person into submission and avoid further interrogation. Maybe something to think about when dealing with customer service.

Reactions: Former Member
OP, thanks for the clarification. When you explained it that way, than it might not be your fault.
But I think you can understand, DJI could assume you've crashed your drone, damaged the gimbal and maybe internally, which causes the APAS and active track to stop working. You've flashed the fw, and lost any flight logs. So they don't know which came first. You could be honest with your version of events, ie APAS failed first, which resulted in a crash. But a liar could crash first and says the APAS stopped working causing the crash.
Hopefully, DJI is more understanding with your situation.

On a side note, I don't trust people who gets angry easily when things don't go the way they want. I feels like they are hiding something, and the raised voice is a way to scare the other person into submission and avoid further interrogation. Maybe something to think about when dealing with customer service.

BINGO! I always take the CSR's side when dealing with customer service. I make friends with them. You'd be SURPRISED at what I've gotten companies to do.

Absolutely yes, CarolinaDronz is a DJI authorized dealer… I’ve been doing business with them since 2015 and have purchased four different drones over the last three years. Frank is price competitive and extremely focused on great customer service… If you happen to get a bad drone, Frank simply replace it and he deals with manufacturer. In addition, Frank is a great source of honest advice and won’t try to sell you something that you don’t really need.

I'll be honest, if you're correct and during the warranty period for my drone (1 year), they'll replace it, no questions asked, even if it's been crashed and deal with DJI, I'm in! I've had good service from DJI but not that good!

I could see activetrack affected by the gimbal, but not APAS as latter doesn't rely on the gimbal camera. Even with activetrack, the avoidance doesn't use the main camera.

Okay guys, after a couple of phone calls FROM (they wanted to know the whole story) NJ headquarter, My drone is STATUES fixed and shipped out, and will be receiving it Monday the 15th. Hopefully its fix, thanks for all of you guys input, will let you guys know how it goes.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Okay guys, after a couple of phone calls FROM (they wanted to know the whole story) NJ headquarter, My drone is STATUES fixed and shipped out, and will be receiving it Monday the 15th. Hopefully its fix, thanks for all of you guys input, will let you guys know how it goes.

So they fixed it for free? Good for you!

He got the drone less than a month old... The fix is obviously free under the standard warranty.

Okay, not if he ran it into a tree! Another guy ran his over with his car, should his be warranty too? I mean his is the same age as this guy's. I'm glad they took care of him, I honestly am but that doesn't mean that he necessarily "deserved" it. I don't know, you don't know, only he really knows what actually happened.

Okay, not if he ran it into a tree! Another guy ran his over with his car, should his be warranty too? I mean his is the same age as this guy's. I'm glad they took care of him, I honestly am but that doesn't mean that he necessarily "deserved" it. I don't know, you don't know, only he really knows what actually happened.
They fixed the machine because it was probably covered by the standard warranty. They are not going to fix something because the guy deserve it. Every fix is under two things... Free Standard warranty or paid repairs support.

They fixed the machine because it was probably covered by the standard warranty. They are not going to fix something because the guy deserve it. Every fix is under two things... Free Standard warranty or paid repairs support.

Warranties are supposed to cover manufacture's defects for a specified time. The reality of most situations of this type is that the manufacturers typically just cover these things to avoid bad press. They are absolutely not technically liable for abuse or accidents. If you buy a TV from Best Buy, take it home and in the course of installing it on the wall, you drop it. Neither Best Buy nor Samsung are in any way responsible for its replacement or repair. However, if you go into Best Buy upset or call Samsung enough times, even if they suspect that you dropped it, they'll probably replace it just to mollify you. Think about it, every time there any issue of this type, guys don't even give the companies involved a chance to take care of them before they're online bashing them. The OP of this exact thread states that he tried posting this on other forums and even accused DJI of blocking him. Just by asking for more information/the flight logs, DJI had been painted as a villian in this scenario. "How dare they ask for proof that the aircraft failed causing the crash!".

Reactions: Kilrah
Warranties are supposed to cover manufacture's defects for a specified time. The reality of most situations of this type is that the manufacturers typically just cover these things to avoid bad press. They are absolutely not technically liable for abuse or accidents. If you buy a TV from Best Buy, take it home and in the course of installing it on the wall, you drop it. Neither Best Buy nor Samsung are in any way responsible for its replacement or repair. However, if you go into Best Buy upset or call Samsung enough times, even if they suspect that you dropped it, they'll probably replace it just to mollify you. Think about it, every time there any issue of this type, guys don't even give the companies involved a chance to take care of them before they're online bashing them. The OP of this exact thread states that he tried posting this on other forums and even accused DJI of blocking him. Just by asking for more information/the flight logs, DJI had been painted as a villian in this scenario. "How dare they ask for proof that the aircraft failed causing the crash!".
I think "other forums" was Dji's forum, where mods are working for DJI and can help.

As for the logs, the question (without answer) was, why they didn't check logs stored in drone's internal memory?

Finally, in numerous incidents, DJI didn't care about bad press. When there is a doubt about the causes of a crash, they charge the customer.

Read the thread, they were supposedly gone by that time due to leaving the aircraft powered on too long while doing the troubleshooting steps he was advised to.

I was typing up a long answer but regardless you summed that part up nicely. DJI approaches these things as innocent unless proven guilty and some of you believe they should be guilty until proven innocent. Fair enough, that's your opinion but I have no doubt that the greater percentage of crashes that occur are user error rather than drone failure.

Reactions: LakeTravis

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest