DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do DJI Drones Warn You If the Motors are Under Too Much Stress? Like when carrying a payload.

cgmaxed

Reactions
I was just wondering when or how DJI drones know when the motors are under too much stress or getting too hot. How does A DJI drone know when to warn you. I've had a warning a couple of times when carrying a heavy payload. It was less than 500 grams, but it wasn't balanced, so a warning came up. Apparently the front motors were working harder than the rear motors. I could tell by how hot they were when I touched them. The warning tells you to land ASAP when they are over stressed.

Reactions: Mav2Pro
It doesn't know how hot they are, but it knows it has to give more power than usual and/or the aircraft has more inertia around its axes than normal.

It doesn't know how hot they are, but it knows it has to give more power than usual and/or the aircraft has more inertia around its axes than normal.
One time It said something about performance due to prop guards being detected, but it was a payload. The biggest thing that worries me, if I fly too much with a payload, will that eventually cause damage to the motors over time? I know they are brushless, so that helps. Most everything in the motors is metal, so I assume they can tolerate quite a bit of heat.

The specs say that the AIR2S has a payload capacity of 500 grams. If that is the case, The motors shouldn't burn out. Is that correct?

With regards to heat, I would research two things, the first, which might be well documented, is the effect on magnetic materials. The second which might be more proprietary is the varnish that coats the winding wires.

The specs say that the AIR2S has a payload capacity of 500 grams.
Where do you see that? Never seen DJI specify any payload or supporting mounting anything other than their own accessories to their aircraft, and a payload of almost the same weight as the aircraft itself would be highly surprising.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
As a data point - Air2 in raw naked form I see "overpower" warnings all the time. Full up plus full forward in any sort of headwind usually gets me there. And when I play indoors, the drone somehow knows I have the bumpers attached.

As far as payload - I really don't consider the Mavic series payload drones. Seems to me they can carry just about their own mass, and that's it. Strapping anything to them is risky; and ignoring weight distribution and loading downright silly.

its not so much the motors themselves being under to much stress that triggers the warning messages,its more to do with the ESC's that control them in relation to the amount of current a particular motor is using to keep the aircraft aloft, if the IMU senses an imbalance between pairs of motors ,as they try to keep the aircraft level ,such as in the case of a load that altered the CofG this then causes the message to appear ,all the info from the various sensors in the aircraft are constantly being updated as it flies ,and if what it receives from those sensors, falls outside of pre programmed conditions then it will give an error message

its not so much the motors themselves being under to much stress that triggers the warning messages,its more to do with the ESC's that control them in relation to the amount of current a particular motor is using to keep the aircraft aloft, if the IMU senses an imbalance between pairs of motors ,as they try to keep the aircraft level ,such as in the case of a load that altered the CofG this then causes the message to appear ,all the info from the various sensors in the aircraft are constantly being updated as it flies ,and if what it receives from those sensors, falls outside of pre programmed conditions then it will give an error message
Yup, its all fun and games till you actually burn out a ESC. Then its game over with a Quad. At least with a Hex you stand a better chance of landing LOL

This dumb move cost me a new frame and a few other parts for a Yuneec Q500 and about 30 hours of my time. ESC did not like holding a halloween guy in the air to long. Dropped like a brick LOL
20150821_105437.jpg

Last edited:
Where do you see that? Never seen DJI specify any payload or supporting mounting anything other than their own accessories to their aircraft, and a payload of almost the same weight as the aircraft itself would be highly surprising.
It's not a DJI spec. It comes from the specs of an airdrop system for the air2s. It probably refers to the air drop system and not the drone itself.

It's not a DJI spec. It comes from the specs of an airdrop system for the air2s. It probably refers to the air drop system and not the drone itself.
I asked DJI directly. This was their response.
"The DJI Air 2s doesn't support a payload as this might affect the stability of the unit and might cause serious problems."

As a data point - Air2 in raw naked form I see "overpower" warnings all the time. Full up plus full forward in any sort of headwind usually gets me there. And when I play indoors, the drone somehow knows I have the bumpers attached.

As far as payload - I really don't consider the Mavic series payload drones. Seems to me they can carry just about their own mass, and that's it. Strapping anything to them is risky; and ignoring weight distribution and loading downright silly.
I might have to rethink attaching payloads. I don't want to burn out an ESC.

I might have to rethink attaching payloads. I don't want to burn out an ESC.
Doubt you'll destroy anything, my guess is the internal protections are fairly complete against that, but that's hope, not fact, lol. But to find out the controller will cool the motors by reducing lift to some 'safe' minimum at 200 feet over XXX might be problematic.

That said -- I also hoped the 30 minute flight time spec was real. Turning out that was just hope, too. :confused:

Not a great detailed experiment but it will give you an idea of what drones can lift. It does not give you just how long they will lift said weight but if your so inclined to risk it let us know how you make out.

it really boils down to ,not how much your drone may or may not lift ,more to do with , is it really necessary to have an additional load, that the drone was not really meant to carry in the first place
there are drones out there that are capable of carrying baits out to sea reliably and safely
or rescue equipment for swimmers in destress and other scenarios
of course what you do with your drone is up to you
but dont be surprised if it leads to disaster ,the mavic family of drones are primarily designed for Arial photography ,and in that role they excell

Reactions: RobertR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89