DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a Mini 3

You've come to the wrong place to ask if you're expecting to be talked out of it :)

Maybe a good choice if you need to pack light sometimes?

If you want to shoot vertically(~ish) up, you need the mini 3. Otherwise you are good with older or larger models.

Ah, you also can't fly over people in Europe with anything heavier than 500g currently (or 900g from 2024).
Did he say he was in in Europe no he’s in the USa 😳
He isn’t.

Reactions: old man mavic
Owning a Mavic 3 Pro I'm wondering what I'd do with the Mini 3. Can't see that I need one but I'm being taken over by the hype!!! HA!!!
Yes you need it, it's a great drone. Compared with the mavic 3 you can take it with you for casual shoots and family trips and not worry about an expensive loss. IQ is great.

@bkushner ,hi fellow flyer ,of course you need the Mini 3 ,especially in the US where you can benefit from the plus batteries extended flight time
and apart from that, i see that your birthday is the same date as mine ,so for that reason alone you should join me in Mini 3 ownership
the problem with having the Mini 3 with the RC controller, is because it is so handy to carry, and get into the air ,i have somewhat neglected my other two drones ,since i acquired it

I have a Mini 3 and Air 2s. The main thing in favour of the Mini 3 in my opinion is being able to charge the batteries on the go with a powerbank. I live in an area where the weather changes by the minute. With my Air 2s by the time 3 batteries have charged the moment may have passed. With the Mini 3 Pro I can charge en route to my destination, while I'm walking and while I'm flying. Makes a huge difference to how much I use it.

I will present the other side of the argument.
Can you yourself identify something that the Mini 3 can do that the likes of a Mini 2, at half the price or, if you bought second hand, less, can not?
If not why not consider the likes of the mini 2?

Yes a back up is handy so I can not fault wanting another drone but the Mini 3 IS expensive.
If money is no object and if, as has been stated, you are in the USA where weight is not a factor, then it would make sense to me, for the mutual compatibility of batteries and props etc., to get another Mavic 3 rather than getting a different model.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkushner
Did he say he was in in Europe no he’s in the USa
Izometrics response might have been poorly phrased but how are we supposed to know that bkushner is in the USA? There's nothing that I can see that is readily visible that indicates where he is.

Reactions: Octisurfer
I have both Mav 3 & Mini 3 .I use the mini for travelling , so much easier to pack & being under 500g , I can use it in a few more places (safely) .The Mav handles the wind better so there are a lot of checks & balances to both. If you can afford to just do it

Reactions: PAW
Owning a Mavic 3 Pro I'm wondering what I'd do with the Mini 3. Can't see that I need one but I'm being taken over by the hype!!! HA!!!
Depends partly on where you fly. In many places (Canada and Europe spring to mind) there are fewer limitations on aircraft under 250 g.

And if you're hiking long distances, the weight difference is pretty noticeable.

I have a Mavic 2 and a Mini 3 — the Mavic for use in rural areas and the Mini for use in urban areas or control zones. (Only have my basic sRPAS certification, so control zones are off limits to me with a 250+ g RPAS.)

When I next travel I may only bring the Mini, as it's pictures are good enough most of the time and luggage space will be at a premium (because it looks like carry-on only is the way to fly right now).

Last edited:
I will present the other side of the argument.
Can you yourself identify something that the Mini 3 can do that the likes of a Mini 2, at half the price or, if you bought second hand, less, can not?
If not why not consider the likes of the mini 2?

Yes a back up is handy so I can not fault wanting another drone but the Mini 3 IS expensive.
If money is no object and if, as has been stated, you are in the USA where weight is not a factor, then it would make sense to me, for the mutual compatibility of batteries and props etc., to get another Mavic 3 rather than getting a different model.
You pose some interesting questions that as a Mini 2 owner and a newly annointed Mini 3 owner I can answer from my standpoint. The Mini 2 is a great drone in many respects, much better than the Mini 1, which I also owned. (I have a M2P as well).

1) Rapid deployment (with the DJI RC controller). Fire up the controller. While that's booting, unfold the Mini 3, push the start button and put it on the ground. Go back to the RC and put the sticks on while the Fly App comes up. Wait for the sats and fly. The longest part of deployment of the MIni 2 is hooking up a phone or tablet. In general not a big deal.

2) Significantly improved smoothness and response, at least with the DJI RC. As you may know, instead of the "balls" that the sticks attach to in the RCN1, the contruction of the control area (I don't know what to call it), has a completely different configuration with two "barrels"(?) that each stick attaches to that move up and down and side to side separately. I've only had the Mini 3 for about a week and have been more than surprised to be able to make smooth multi-directional moves that I struggled with flying my Mini 2.

3) Improved flight times. Being in the US and weight not being an issue, in addition to the standard battery I have two extended batteries.

I could cite the other features such as obtacle avoidance, 4k/60fps and other features, but I don't think think they are quite as important as the the three that I mentioned above. I still believe that the RCN1 controller was a mistake; a brick that offers no functional advantages over the smaller controllers of the Mini 1 and Mavic 2 (loaded with everthing the RC Pro has except a screen). The DJI RC, brings back some of the programmable buttons missing on the RCN1 which I find very helpful.

I apologize in advance for the following digression....

One thing that is often cited for the Minis is the "portability". And it's true- but only to some extent. If you compare the difference between the Mini 2 and the A2s, the M3 the real difference in portability is the drone size itself as the oversized RCN1 controllers are all the same size and weight, and is solely the reason that larger cases are needed. While a bit heavier, because of the reduced controller size I can transport my Mavic 2 Pro in a bag only slightly larger than the Mini 2/3 FMC bag. [See illustration. Mini 3 bag turned it's side for size comparison] I suspect the RCN1 or the RC Pro with the Mavic 3 makes the portability issue of the Mini 2 and 3 more valid.

1658064951175.png

Most important to me is a backup nothing like a system failure a long way from office/home. Very light easy to carry just in case. Works nice also.

With a Plus battery the flight times are crazy good I would say get one. Not to mention the Dji RC is lightweight and feels so next gen.

Most important to me is a backup nothing like a system failure a long way from office/home. Very light easy to carry just in case. Works nice also.
There was a post here from a chap whose Mavic 2 fell out of the sky while he was on a job. He was able to finish because he had a Mavic Mini with him as well, and though not ideal it got the job done.

Backup is something to think about as well, depending on what you do. I took two cameras with me to Iceland/Greenland, because I didn't want to end up with no photos if my camera broke. It didn't, so I never used my backup camera (older, less resolution), but if my D800 had been damaged the D7000 would have saved the trip.

Having a backup is really important if you're taking much time and energy to get the video or photos that you're seeking. For instance, going on vacation, far from home....planning to do a lot of drone photography, and your main drone malfunctions or crashes, or won't fly due to needing a firmware update, etc. Very helpful to have a backup so as not to spoil one of the main aims of the trip.

As well...if you plan to do lots of drone flying on a given day, more than 3 batteries can handle, you'll either need an extra set of batteries for one drone, or another drone with additional batteries.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure