DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone feel the Mavic Pro 2 will be underwhelming?

The only thing I don’t agree with is the need to make it smaller. I don’t want a drone the size of a can of Coke. I would ideally like the Mavic Pro II to stay the size of the current pro...Even if it’s slightly bigger I wouldn’t have a problem with it. I may be in the minority, but I don’t necessarily think that smaller is better in this case.

completely agree - if it's a little bigger to accommodate a 1"CMOS - that's a big win. even so - that's not a huge reason to "upgrade" for me. 1" sensor gives you a couple more stops of light - if you're flying in the daytime the smaller camera is pretty impressive. i think i'll save my pennies & get something non-DJI that will tote a GH5.

completely agree - if it's a little bigger to accommodate a 1"CMOS - that's a big win. even so - that's not a huge reason to "upgrade" for me. 1" sensor gives you a couple more stops of light - if you're flying in the daytime the smaller camera is pretty impressive. i think i'll save my pennies & get something non-DJI that will tote a GH5.

I have a Karma I'd sell you for cheap!!! As someone that has both drones, I'm not sure you're going to gain what you want from the Hero 5. I don't think it's much better than the Mavic camera because your sensor size and bitrate are the same. I may be wrong though.

It’s largely irrelevant to me. I won’t be getting the Mavic Pro 2 whatever features it has. I won’t upgrade for less than 2 or 3 step-changes. My current Mavic is fine. So it’s the Mavic Pro 3 or 4 for me. Or whatever they’re calling it by then.

Actually,...as a P4P, Spark and now Air owner. (and former Mavic owner) The more and more that I think about this....

If the Mavic Pro-II has this same 1/2.3 sensor that the Air and Mavic Pro have today...why in the heck would I want it??

I dont care what else "new" that it has, whatever "that" is....if it does not have a LARGER sensor, I'm not selling any of my current drones to buy it!

For me, image quality is my #1 desire. (dont care about my Spark at all, its a toy that I could fly into the ocean and not worry about it) If you put these 1/2.3 sensors on a good 100mbp/s encoder, you are now getting the maximum quality they can give you. They ONLY way to IMPROVE the image quality to the "next level" is to install the next largest size sensor up the ladder...1/1.7 Sony Exmor, 4k, 60p, IMX266. (or Sony equivalent.)

If DJI doesnt do that, than the Mavic Pro-II will have 0% image quality improvement over the Air. If DJI just adds "60p" to the current Air 1/2.3 imaging system, that alone is NOT an "image quality" improvement. It's just a higher frame rate. This will not help the dynamic range, it wont help the signal to noise ratio, it wont help high noise reduction artifacts....it wont help anything! IT WILL WILL JUST GIVE YOU THE EXACT SAME IMAGE LIMITATIONS....60 TIMES A SECOND!

No,...no DJI, dont do this.

PLEASE put a larger sensor in the Mavic Pro-II. Give it something "real" over the Air. Give me a reason to sell my Air and buy a Mavic Pro-II. Longer flight time, more range and more hand gesture control is NOT going to sell it to me. I already have a big fat Phantom 4 Pro (that is a pain to lug around) for long flights and long range.

Rant over,...CT ;-)

Reactions: JoostGT3
But here’s the problem. If the Mavic Pro 2 can do everything the Phantom 4 can do, in a smaller package and a lower price, why would anyone pay extra for a Phantom? This is why I get frustrated by people who bemoan the fact the Mavic doesn’t have some features the Phantom 4 has. If people want those features, my advice would be buy a Phantom 4.

But here’s the problem. If the Mavic Pro 2 can do everything the Phantom 4 can do, in a smaller package and a lower price, why would anyone pay extra for a Phantom? This is why I get frustrated by people who bemoan the fact the Mavic doesn’t have some features the Phantom 4 has. If people want those features, my advice would be buy a Phantom 4.
Simply because the Phantom is due for an upgrade as well. I'm betting the Phantom 5 will have a camera closure to the capabilities of one of the Zenmuse Gimbals, and even longer flight time.

It's a good question! "IF" DJI moved up to a Sony 1/1.7 image sensor, this would give the Mavic Pro-II a "decent" improvement over the current 1/2.3 today. It might gain 1 stop of dynamic range and 3-ish db cleaner. This will not be enough to beat a the Sony 1inch-type RS sensor. Not at all. It would not have 5k scanning & 4k oversampling and will only be a 1:1 simple deBayer process. It will not take 20mp photos either. It will still need strong noise reduction but not as bad as they are using today on these little 1/2.3 sensors.

This idea LEAVES room for the Phantom 4/5 to enjoy it's image quality "upgrade" and justify it's higher price.

So the Sony 1/1.7 is a GREAT middle ground sensor between the Air and Phantom 4/5

CT

Last edited:
Reactions: Huddy
It's a good question! "IF" DJI moved up to a Sony 1/1.7 image sensor, this would give the Mavic Pro-II a "decent" improvement over the current 1/2.3 today. It might gain 1 stop of dynamic range and 3-ish db cleaner. This will not be enough to beat a the Sony 1inch-type RS sensor. Not at all. It would not have 5k scanning & 4k oversampling and will only be a 1:1 simple deBayer process. It will not take 20mp photos either. It will still need strong noise reduction but not as bad as they are using today on these little 1/2.3 sensors.

This idea LEAVES room for the Phantom 4/5 to enjoy it's image quality "upgrade" and justify it's higher price.

So the Sony 1/1.7 is a GREAT middle ground sensor between the Air and Phantom 4/5

CT

I swear if someone accused you of being a Sony 1.7 salesman, I'd believe them. Hahaha!

lol,..not that DJI will ever see or care what I think, but the more I think about this, the more I think this is a GREAT chance for DJI to break out of this 1/2.3 cage that their cheaper drones live in.

Look what we get when they use bigger sensors. Phantom 4 Pro has insane picture quality. The Inspire has fantastic Sony Micro 4/3 sensors AND 1inch-type and looks incredible. (two sensors cameras for the Inspire) Do you think you would ever see a new Inspire camera using a tiny 1/2.3 chip?

Every other DJI drone is stuck with 1/2.3 sensor's very limited performance. They either WANT them because they are cheaper to buy, lower power and dont WANT their cheaper drones to get closer to Phantom and Inspire. Or,...they just haven't had time to browse through Sony Semiconductor's catalog yet! Hahaha.....I think it's the first one! ;-)

I'm sure Sony managers have already called DJI managers and told them; "Hey guys, you know we got several bigger and better sensors that would be GREAT for your small drones,...right?"

Funny....

DJI is definitely taking a page out of Apple's playbook with their naming convention and how they incorporate features. Air is the smaller, lighter, "slightly" less capable version optimized for portability. Pro is the workhorse. Air will sell better because it is aimed at the average consumer where the Pro model is aimed at the pros.

Mark it down, the Mavic Pro 2 "will" have a 1" sensor, even better flight time, same obstacle avoidance as Air - possibly side sensors, and may feature a redesigned chassis.

With that, I expect the Phantom 5 to have an improved camera that is most likely interchangeable (360 option?).

Inspire is the high-end pro model, 2 operators, very high-end cameras.

If you are right and they DO (somehow) put that 1inch-type large, metal camera on a future Mavic Pro-II, that would really be a key indicator of how they feel about the large Phantom form factor moving forward. That 1inch-type sensor means everything to that Phantom platform. If DJI takes that advantage away, there will really be no need for that entire line anymore.

The Phantom 4 Pro really doesn't have anywhere to move "up". The only thing they could do is upgrade the current Sony "R" chip and buy the very latest "RS" 1inch-type sensor. But this sensor's only real improvement would be high frame rate like 120, 240 and 480 frames a second. (1080 cached recording) They "might" be able to squeeze 120p 4k out of it but I doubt it. This "RS" also has less rolling shutter.

The "RS" sensor doesn't have any real dynamic range improvements over the current "R" chip. (but it's slightly cleaner) So really, the Phantom 5 is up against a camera technology "brick wall". I hear they are doing removable lens mount and have 4 lenses to offer for it. (rumors and a secret photos)

So yeah,..it's a tough call. Push the Mavic Pro-II WAY up the "value ladder" and end up cutting the legs off the Phantom 5? Maybe?...but that will tell us they are almost finished with the Phantom form factor for good.

If they do 1inch-type on the Mavic Pro-II, that will mean that it will become the new "prosumer" flagship DJI drone....and what price point will DJI set for this aircraft? $1300 - $1500?

CT

I think a Phantom 5 with interchangeable lenses and possibly the ability to replace it with a 360 cam is a big step forward and appeals to a variety of professionals who are still limited by a Mavic with a 1 inch sensor.

All I know is the DJI future is bright and we have a very nice diversity of drones to pick from.

Save your money. I think you will be tempted by either the new Pro 2 or P5.

I think a Phantom 5 with interchangeable lenses and possibly the ability to replace it with a 360 cam is a big step forward and appeals to a variety of professionals who are still limited by a Mavic with a 1 inch sensor.

All I know is the DJI future is bright and we have a very nice diversity of drones to pick from.

Save your money. I think you will be tempted by either the new Pro 2 or P5.

Mind reader! I also want to point out that the Phantom series of drones, because of their larger size, can be faster, more stable in high winds, have longer flight times and do more. I'd like to see an interchangeable camera, like Autel promised but didn't deliver, with 360, flir, etc options. Some people are even claiming retractable landing gear and a 360° rotating camera like the Typhoon H.

I expect that the Mavic Pro II should have way more than it has now and way more than the Mavic Air. Hopefully even more than the Phantom 4 Pro has to offer!!!!

Does anyone else intuitively feel the next version of the MP, the so-called "Mavic Pro 2" will be underwhelming?

Based on my impression of how the Spark went (I expected better, a 4k cam to start, and 3-axis to start, and a controller that had at least some data display capabilities etc) and how little of a marginal improvement the Platinium version of the Mavic Pro really was (other than a prop+motor redesign which was responsible for the less noise, the increased flight time, and for the smoother flight) not that stellar, now coupled with what I think is a very not-so-impressive Air (when factoring in the cost/price issue in terms of prop value, and other things like lack of any display on the controller, and the fact that most people expected the Spark to have been foldable out the gate, and then Air only has 30fps at 4k, making it really nmore of a Spark platiniumn rather than a new category of its own, imo) I can't help but feel the best days of innovation are over and that whatever Mavic Pro 2 ends up being, it will likely greatly underwhelm in terms of costs, specs or probably both.

I don't know how I feel but what I know is that no matter what DJI does with the Mavic 2, there will be clowns on here that will somehow make it a negative, complain that it should have been more and regardless of cost, it should have been less.

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e