DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone feel the Mavic Pro 2 will be underwhelming?

I don't know how I feel but what I know is that no matter what DJI does with the Mavic 2, there will be clowns on here that will somehow make it a negative, complain that it should have been more and regardless of cost, it should have been less.

That is the REAL deal there Lon, but then complainers aren't usually very good pilots so we need them become better at flying than they are at complaining I suppose!!!

Last edited:
"Do you feel that this imaginary, non-released, non-verified item is underwhelming?"

No, I do not feel that it's anything, because it's a figment of people's imagination until it is actually announced. I don't care how many speculated tweets there are on it, including the very proof of how nonsensical these tweets are: they made a mistake on the rear sensors rumor. In fact, until I see it released, I can just pretend it doesn't exist.

The Mavic Pro-II will have just about everything that the P4P has today but with the additional Mavic Air flight modes. I believe it is literally intended to literally kill the P4P and take exactly 100% of it's current market....and price point. So, the Mavic Pro-II will be the actual "upgrade" for P4P owners today. The Phantom 5 will create a brand "new" $2,500 class drone that will sit much closer in pro performance to the Inspire-II. The Phantom 5 will be a "baby Inspire-II" so to speak.

Bottom line is that both drones move "UP" one class into new higher prices.

The Phantom 5 with 10bit color and a 150Mpb/s 4:2:2 CODEC and removable lenses would be powerful and would easily justify is cost over the Mavic Pro-II. It could even have 120, 240 and 480 fps modes with help from Sony.

That is the REAL deal there Lon, but then complainers aren't usually very good pilots so we need to them become better at flying than they are at complaining I suppose!!!

I know, right? There's a guy, a decent person I'm sure, that was complaining that he can't get his Mavic to fly high enough to do tower inspections in the mountains which has cost him some paying gigs... I'm like, when did DJI market the Mavic for tower inspections? They do sell the Matrice for that kind of work. I mean, I'm mad that my Mavic won't see through walls or clean my apt but I'll work it out with a few angry posts on here and a nasty call or two to customer support.

Reactions: CanyonRunVideos
I've said this before, the Mavic series denotes that it's a folding drone. Occusync is on several DJI drone models, it's not exclusive to the Mavic. This is speculation but I believe all folding drones from DJI will carry some form of the Mavic name. Like with some automakers where the 3 series is a compact hatchback, the 4 series is a 4 door compact, the 5 series is a coupe and the 6 series is a sedan with a secondary signifier the denotes the performance level. Like in the Phantom series where you have the standard, advanced, pro and pro+.

I thought tat the Mavic was the ONLY Drone with Occusync ??
Don't the Phantoms I inspire series use Lightbridge ?

I know, right? There's a guy, a decent person I'm sure, that was complaining that he can't get his Mavic to fly high enough to do tower inspections in the mountains which has cost him some paying gigs... I'm like, when did DJI market the Mavic for tower inspections? They do sell the Matrice for that kind of work. I mean, I'm mad that my Mavic won't see through walls or clean my apt but I'll work it out with a few angry posts on here and a nasty call or two to customer support.

All that guy had to do is to turn OFF the DJI Geofencing program and adjust the max altitude as high as 400ft above the power tower. Pretty easy if he would read the Mavic Pro Owner’s Manual.....

Reactions: Gray_seagull
I think it will be a good upgrade unless there's an entirely new drone on the burners, and they put all the new technology into it.

I thought tat the Mavic was the ONLY Drone with Occusync ??
Don't the Phantoms I inspire series use Lightbridge ?

Geez, you're right I believe. DJI sells Occusync modules but I believe you are right. I mixed light bridge and occusync, my fault.

I believe that the rumors about the specs of the MP2 are very close to realitt. For these thinking that is too much and not realistic: do you remember phantom 3P, phantom 4 and finally mavic pro? All these drones were a huge upgrade comparing to precvious models and Mavic setup new class of PowerShot portable drones. Now as flying has been vastly improved (in terms of safety, range and intelligent modes) users are expecting better image quality and I think that DJI market will try to catchup with the quality of the digital cameras so 1" for flagship mavic does not seem to be huge extravagance. Let's hope we will get what we want!

Does anyone else intuitively feel the next version of the MP, the so-called "Mavic Pro 2" will be underwhelming?

My guess is that it will be a smaller version of the Phantom 4 Pro.

Based on my impression of how the Spark went (I expected better, a 4k cam to start, and 3-axis to start, and a controller that had at least some data display capabilities etc) and how little of a marginal improvement the Platinium version of the Mavic Pro really was (other than a prop+motor redesign which was responsible for the less noise, the increased flight time, and for the smoother flight) not that stellar, now coupled with what I think is a very not-so-impressive Air (when factoring in the cost/price issue in terms of prop value, and other things like lack of any display on the controller, and the fact that most people expected the Spark to have been foldable out the gate, and then Air only has 30fps at 4k, making it really nmore of a Spark platiniumn rather than a new category of its own, imo) I can't help but feel the best days of innovation are over and that whatever Mavic Pro 2 ends up being, it will likely greatly underwhelm in terms of costs, specs or probably both.

Mavic Pro’s weakness is the camera image quality and fragile gimbal. I do like Mavic Air’s ability to navigate around obstacles. More flight time would be a bonus. Maybe props that are protected from getting snagged when folded. A dedicated screen in the remote so we won’t have to rely on external devices for functionality. DJI may have some competition from Autel on features. I’m sure their design aesthetics will impress though.

My guess.....

Mavic Pro II....

Body - Same exact body style and design as the Air but 30% larger. This Air design is spectacular and it would make sense to clone it, and make it larger for the purpose of holding a larger Pro II battery. Maybe 6000ma/h?? (35 minute flight time?)

Camera - Im betting on the same 1/2.3 sensor but TWO if them like cell phones. One wide (24mm) and the other longer (50mm) in 35mm equivelent terms. I seriously doubt they will allow the Sony 1inch-type chip on this Pro-II. Sony charges a much higher price for that sensor and would raise the Pro-II price higher. It also eats a bit more more power than a tiny 1/2.3 inch. They will reserve the 1inch-type for the Phantom 5 and Inspire 2.

Electronics - same motherboard as in the Air. Im guessing both new Mavics were designed TOGETHER at the same time. Im thinking they shared the exact same R&D labor. All of the programming and chip/circuit design from the Air will be easily ported over to the Pro-II.

CODEC - H.264 100mbp/s, no doubt. Maybe they will throw the Pro-II a bone and give it H.265, HEVC like the P4P has.

There is too much noise reduction processing being applied to these Mavics. I wish they would back off on it and let "some" grain back in and allow some more detail to back into the images.

I dunno...just my guesses.

Maybe you may want to try shooting RAW + JPG on the camera setting. RAW images show about 85% more information than *.jpg file from the Mavic Pro.

The first photo attached was shot in D-Log RAW .*dng file 17.5MG

Attachments

• 2A0B7FB4-06A5-4AAA-A352-2349C8698381.jpeg
    2A0B7FB4-06A5-4AAA-A352-2349C8698381.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 111
Reactions: Gray_seagull
There's a guy, a decent person I'm sure, that was complaining that he can't get his Mavic to fly high enough to do tower inspections in the mountains which has cost him some paying gigs... I'm like, when did DJI market the Mavic for tower inspections? They do sell the Matrice for that kind of work.

A qoute from last year....but I have a question about it (i'm not familiar with doing inspections): what difference does the matrice have over mavic in this situation, longer flight time and longer range? If you're somewhat near the tower, the mavic should be able to get hi-res images/video of a very tall (1000ft+) tower, correct?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS