DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone feel the Mavic Pro 2 will be underwhelming?

The problem with these sites is they’re nothing more than wish lists. They just think of everything they can and throw it into their equation.

“We’ll fill you in with the latest speculation”

“We expect DJI to make the drones more robust”

“We”? Who is this “We”. It’d be useful to know. But I expect it to be an individual with more optimism than knowledge

From reading it, you’d think the person writing it had some insider knowledge, and has then gone on to indulge in some sagacious beard-stroking before imparting his hard-earned wisdom upon us all.

He tells us DJI will increase battery life. Who would have guessed that? He also regales us with rumours of increasing the current 7km range. Why? Who needs more range?

It’s a load of nonsense. A chancer on a click-bait site. DJI will improve the Mavic, and some of those improvements might be on his list. But he knows nothing.

My guess.....

Mavic Pro II....

Body - Same exact body style and design as the Air but 30% larger. This Air design is spectacular and it would make sense to clone it, and make it larger for the purpose of holding a larger Pro II battery. Maybe 6000ma/h?? (35 minute flight time?)

Camera - Im betting on the same 1/2.3 sensor but TWO if them like cell phones. One wide (24mm) and the other longer (50mm) in 35mm equivelent terms. I seriously doubt they will allow the Sony 1inch-type chip on this Pro-II. Sony charges a much higher price for that sensor and would raise the Pro-II price higher. It also eats a bit more more power than a tiny 1/2.3 inch. They will reserve the 1inch-type for the Phantom 5 and Inspire 2.

Electronics - same motherboard as in the Air. Im guessing both new Mavics were designed TOGETHER at the same time. Im thinking they shared the exact same R&D labor. All of the programming and chip/circuit design from the Air will be easily ported over to the Pro-II.

CODEC - H.264 100mbp/s, no doubt. Maybe they will throw the Pro-II a bone and give it H.265, HEVC like the P4P has.

There is too much noise reduction processing being applied to these Mavics. I wish they would back off on it and let "some" grain back in and allow some more detail to back into the images.

I dunno...just my guesses.

Here's something...

fcbcacc1a1aef53aa180214386665a78.jpg

I would think DJI would include rear obstacle avoidance on Mavic 2. I can’t see them cutting corners. Autel Evo will have it.

My guess.....

Mavic Pro II....

Body - Same exact body style and design as the Air but 30% larger. This Air design is spectacular and it would make sense to clone it, and make it larger for the purpose of holding a larger Pro II battery. Maybe 6000ma/h?? (35 minute flight time?)

Camera - Im betting on the same 1/2.3 sensor but TWO if them like cell phones. One wide (24mm) and the other longer (50mm) in 35mm equivelent terms. I seriously doubt they will allow the Sony 1inch-type chip on this Pro-II. Sony charges a much higher price for that sensor and would raise the Pro-II price higher. It also eats a bit more more power than a tiny 1/2.3 inch. They will reserve the 1inch-type for the Phantom 5 and Inspire 2.

Electronics - same motherboard as in the Air. Im guessing both new Mavics were designed TOGETHER at the same time. Im thinking they shared the exact same R&D labor. All of the programming and chip/circuit design from the Air will be easily ported over to the Pro-II.

CODEC - H.264 100mbp/s, no doubt. Maybe they will throw the Pro-II a bone and give it H.265, HEVC like the P4P has.

There is too much noise reduction processing being applied to these Mavics. I wish they would back off on it and let "some" grain back in and allow some more detail to back into the images.

I dunno...just my guesses.

I like it but I still think we'll get the 1" sensor and a price increase. The P4P goes for $1500 and the Air is $800 so.... $1100-1200 feels about right to me. Although, DJI could produce the exact same drone as the Air, slightly larger with occusync plus an upgraded remote and it would sell like hotcakes.

They need a 360 gimble without 6g for the Inspire 2 package. Not going to drop a near 1g for a Mavic again just a little smaller.

1 inch-type sensor on Mavic Pro-II? Nah...I would bet my entire life savings that they wont do it. Look at the Phantom 4 Pro gimbal and the size if that camera. It's a heavy metal-body brick. I think that entire camera body is literally a heat sync to keep the sensor cool. It uses more power than 1/2.3 and gets hotter too. So heat and cooling are a big concern as well as power consumption.

I think the Sony STARVIS IMX266 1/1.7 sensor would be a great choice. It potentially has 1.5x larger photosites than the current 1/2.3 and will beat this sensor in every category. Plus, it's still small enough to life inside a small Mavic Pro-II gimbal.

And I'm sure it wont drive the Mavic Pro-II production cost up like the Sony 1 inch-type RS chip would.

I like it but I still think we'll get the 1" sensor and a price increase. The P4P goes for $1500 and the Air is $800 so.... $1100-1200 feels about right to me. Although, DJI could produce the exact same drone as the Air, slightly larger with occusync plus an upgraded remote and it would sell like hotcakes.

I suspect part of DJI's motive is to saturate most levels of the market to drive out competition. They're getting closer to having something for everyone with the Air and Tello . . .

They need a 360 gimble without 6g for the Inspire 2 package. Not going to drop a near 1g for a Mavic again just a little smaller.

I honestly think that DJI has always underestimated how willing we are to throw money at them. I said the same thing about the Crystalsky. I don't think DJI expected guys that spent $1000 on a drone would spend another $1000+ on a display...guess again. We are spenders and have been programmed by the cell phone industry to upgrade every year for the most part. Most of us have had our Mavics for less than a year but we are CHOMPING at the bit to replace it! C H O M P I N G!!!!!

I don't think that the Air is aimed at current Mavic owners. I think they're primarily after old Phantom users, other company's customers (GoPro, 3DR, Autel, etc) and new consumers. A lot of people have complained that it looks like a "toy". I will say that it looks less aggressive and intimidating. More inviting, user friendly and forgiving. The kind of drone a parent wouldn't worry about purchasing their spoiled western brat of a child. I'm with Drone Valley on this one, the more drones we get into the hands of average citizens the better.

Does anyone else intuitively feel the next version of the MP, the so-called "Mavic Pro 2" will be underwhelming?

Based on my impression of how the Spark went (I expected better, a 4k cam to start, and 3-axis to start, and a controller that had at least some data display capabilities etc) and how little of a marginal improvement the Platinium version of the Mavic Pro really was (other than a prop+motor redesign which was responsible for the less noise, the increased flight time, and for the smoother flight) not that stellar, now coupled with what I think is a very not-so-impressive Air (when factoring in the cost/price issue in terms of prop value, and other things like lack of any display on the controller, and the fact that most people expected the Spark to have been foldable out the gate, and then Air only has 30fps at 4k, making it really nmore of a Spark platiniumn rather than a new category of its own, imo) I can't help but feel the best days of innovation are over and that whatever Mavic Pro 2 ends up being, it will likely greatly underwhelm in terms of costs, specs or probably both.
I’m thinking if it has gimbal seizures like the mavic pro does then it will be underwhelming

The problem with these sites is they’re nothing more than wish lists. They just think of everything they can and throw it into their equation.

“We’ll fill you in with the latest speculation”

“We expect DJI to make the drones more robust”

“We”? Who is this “We”. It’d be useful to know. But I expect it to be an individual with more optimism than knowledge

From reading it, you’d think the person writing it had some insider knowledge, and has then gone on to indulge in some sagacious beard-stroking before imparting his hard-earned wisdom upon us all.

He tells us DJI will increase battery life. Who would have guessed that? He also regales us with rumours of increasing the current 7km range. Why? Who needs more range?

It’s a load of nonsense. A chancer on a click-bait site. DJI will improve the Mavic, and some of those improvements might be on his list. But he knows nothing.

Woah, slow down cowboy. Nothing in that article is saying he knows what DJI will do...It’s his expectation on what they should do, and what is “fairly possible”. They also go on to list what would make a Mavic 2 even better than the “should” list. I’m not sure what you are so fired up about.

Reactions: floyd
Woah, slow down cowboy. Nothing in that article is saying he knows what DJI will do...It’s his expectation on what they should do, and what is “fairly possible”. They also go on to list what would make a Mavic 2 even better than the “should” list. I’m not sure what you are so fired up about.

I’m not ‘fired up’. I’m not sure how you drew that from my post. I also don’t feel the need to ‘slow down’. That so-called article has no more value or gravity than the posts on this forum. It’s a guy who just creates an unrealistic wish list, with no thought as to whether the features he lists are practical on this size drone at this price point. He tries to give his observations gravitas by referring to ‘we’, as though this ‘information’ comes from some kind of drone think-tank. I’ve seen more realistic writing from forum members on this thread.

I’m not ‘fired up’. I’m not sure how you drew that from my post. I also don’t feel the need to ‘slow down’. That so-called article has no more value or gravity than the posts on this forum. It’s a guy who just creates an unrealistic wish list, with no thought as to whether the features he lists are practical on this size drone at this price point. He tries to give his observations gravitas by referring to ‘we’, as though this ‘information’ comes from some kind of drone think-tank. I’ve seen more realistic writing from forum members on this thread.

What did you see on the list that was unrealistic? The “shoulds” in my opinion are most certainly realistic, and would be my expectations in a Mavic 2. The “what would make it even better” part doesn’t list anything unrealistic either. “Practical at this price point”? We don’t know for sure if there is going to be a Mavic 2 let alone what it’s price point would be. Finally, the “we” you are so concerned about are the 4 guys who run Half Chrome Drones, so yes it is very much a “we”.

I can understand not agreeing with an article, but to say it’s click bait, unpractical and essentially useless just isn’t fair.

It’s click bait because I was getting numerous pop-ups as I was trying to read it. But the fact remains it’s a wish list that contains little in the way of realistic analysis. Whereas, I have seen posts on here with an analytical approach to what will replace the current Mavic. I’d rather read those posts than struggle with this click bait masquerading as informed and considered information.

The Mavic series is stuck in a 1/2.3 sensor rutt. As long as DJI keeps holding on to this tiny sensor, it will never truely break away to the "next level" of detail, dynamic range and signal to noise ratio.

Adding 100mbp/s to the Air and the future Pro-II is a welcome improvement but it wont give the Pro-II ANY image quality advantage over the Air. ( or any other action camera or 1/2.3 drone)

What NEEDS to happen for the Pro-II is to move up one size and install a Sony 1/1.7 EXMOR BSI sensor. At the same sensor resolution (12mp) it will give the camera considerable pixel (photosite) size increase. Images will have more dynamic range and higher signal to noise ratio....meaning LESS noise reduction required.

This sensor will be more expensive but will seperate the Mavic Pro-II from the Air in a good way. It will raise the production cost and raise the retail price,...but Iis worth it to Mavic buyers!

OsitaLV (@OsitaLV) | Twitter

that tweeter has an excellent track record, and he had announced MAVIC AIR 10 days before official release...

end of march is the date of announcement of MAVIC 2 according to him...

@floyd beta testing is when some very small amount of users (here i guess DJI employees and engineers) test a product before deciding if it's ready or not ;)

Not familiar with DJI's release practices, do they commonly release stuff this close to each other?

Well I guess it depends on what you think is necessary to impress you. If you look at the Air verses any other drone in that size or price range what beats it? *Crickets*

As far as the MP2 goes, if they can manage a 1" 4k 60fps camera sensor with all of the features of the Air plus side sensing like the Phantom, I will be impressed!

The problem here is DJI has spoiled all of you! You all ask so much, want to give so little and then still drag DJI's name through the mud every chance you get. They already have inarguably the best drones on the market in every category. Name the drone that is better than the Inspire 2 in that category, the Phantom 4 Pro, the Mavic Pro, even the Spark? Who makes a drone for $800 that beats the Mavic Air in size, specs, features, etc?

For me, what highlights the fact that DJI makes the best drones on the market is how much some of you HATE them but still buy their products!!! Hahaha!

I just bought a Mavic Pro at Costco for $799 I think that beats a Mavic Air.

I just bought a Mavic Pro at Costco for $799 I think that beats a Mavic Air.

And you'd get no argument from me.

There's no way the Mavic Pro II will be disappointing because it will absolutely be going for the Mavic Pro market. Notice how you can easily buy a Mavic Air right now? No issues, right? Remember the Mavic Pro preordering situation, with people waiting months?

Right.

I suspect sales of the Mavic Air will determine Mavic Pro II features/price - at least to some degree. DJI will want to see mega sales/upgrades when the Pro II comes out.

Basically, - don't worry. I fully suspect the Mavic Pro II to be the flagship Mavic.

Not familiar with DJI's release practices, do they commonly release stuff this close to each other?

Well I think so..don't they announce minimum 2 drone/upgrade every year ?

Spark is 6 months old...And Mavic pro platinum not too old neither

I like the current Mavic Pro. What I would want out of the version 2.0 would essentially be a better camera. More battery life would be good too. But a much better camera would interest me. If the 2.0 version used the same batteries and controller, and there was a package that just sold the drone without stuff I didn't need more of, for a reasonable price, that would be a winner in my mind.

The chances of this happening are very remote.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv