DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does this drone seem too good to be true?

Desert Skies

Reactions
I really hope this is in the right section but I came across a sjrc s20w GPS drone with a moveable 1080p camera at the bottom. I saw a video for it and at 116$ dollars this almost seems too good to be true. The controller looks great and it holds your phone so you can get a first person view while panning the camera around. It is really nice that the camera doesn't need AA batteries. The drone is uses brush motors but I am not sure if that is a huge problem or not; I just need to look for signs for a worn out motor. It has really good range, a return to home button along with a low battery indicator.

This does really seem too good to be true. Everything about it seems near perfect so I wanted your guys opinions about it.

This does really seem too good to be true. Everything about it seems near perfect so I wanted your guys opinions about it.
Reading the specs, it's just a cheap toy with very low performance/features.
Some "highlights"
can fly up to about 8 minutes​
720P / 1080P camera. The resolution of 1280 x 720P​
Long image transmission distance. 100 - 150m​
Hmm ... I think I'll pass

If you're wanting a cheap toy to play with, fine. Remember you get what you pay for.

GOOD FOR LEARNING HOW TO FLY. AND, TO SEE IF YOU ENJOY FLYING.
THATS ABOUT ALL ITS GOOD FOR. YOU HAVE TO COMPARE APPLES WITH APPLES.

If you're wanting a cheap toy to play with, fine. Remember you get what you pay for.

I realize this but literally anything in that prince range is going to be a huge upgrade over my current 30$ drone. I am considering getting a parrot bebop instead. I've heard pretty much anything under 250$ is toy grade territory.

Reactions: Dronage
I realize this but literally anything in that prince range is going to be a huge upgrade over my current 30$ drone. I am considering getting a parrot bebop instead. I've heard pretty much anything under 250$ is toy grade territory.

There are several versions of the Parrot Bebop. Which one do you have your eye on? As far as your original statement and drone selection, If you're a hobbyist and just looking for something to learn how to fly, then yes. But the images are not going to be high quality. If you're wanting serious photography and video, I recommend the DJI Mavic Pro. The price is higher than the one you're looking at and higher than the Parrot Bebop, but as I said, you get what you pay for. Even if you must hold off and save up in order to purchase the Mavic 2 Pro, it will be worth the wait and the money.

With that said, it comes down to:
1. What you really want to do
2. What you really want out of the drone you purchase
3. Your budget.

Good luck to you :)

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
There are several versions of the Parrot Bebop. Which one do you have your eye on?

1. What you really want to do
2. What you really want out of the drone you purchase
3. Your budget.

Good luck to you :)

The one I am looking at is about 160$ and I believe is just called the Parrot Bebop 1. I am just really looking for a drone to take video/pictures of roofs. So all my drone has to do is be able to take video and be able to fly around taking photos of a roof. That is my goal for the time being and my budget is really low like 90-140$ not pushing much beyond that. My hope is that jobs from these roof inspections will allow me to get better drones in the future.

The one I am looking at is about 160$ and I believe is just called the Parrot Bebop 1. I am just really looking for a drone to take video/pictures of roofs. So all my drone has to do is be able to take video and be able to fly around taking photos of a roof. That is my goal for the time being and my budget is really low like 90-140$ not pushing much beyond that. My hope is that jobs from these roof inspections will allow me to get better drones in the future.

Most companies require drones equal to Phantom 4. Since it is hard to find a Phantom 4 I suggest the Mavic 2. You may find someone that would hire you but very doubtful. I do roof inspections all the time using a Phantom 4 Pro.

Most companies require drones equal to Phantom 4. Since it is hard to find a Phantom 4 I suggest the Mavic 2. You may find someone that would hire you but very doubtful. I do roof inspections all the time using a Phantom 4 Pro.

That is quiet problematic since at the moment I only have access to these bottom of the barrel drones. I am actually not sure what to do. There is no way I can get even a Mavic Air any time soon. I have to explore my options now.

That is quiet problematic since at the moment I only have access to these bottom of the barrel drones. I am actually not sure what to do. There is no way I can get even a Mavic Air any time soon. I have to explore my options now.
You wouldn't be able to use that toy drone for roof inspections.
It would not be reliable enough to fly precisely, at the range you'd need, for as long as you'd need and couldn't produce acceptable results.

On the bright side, there's no need to waste money on a learner drone.
Proper DJI drones are easier to fly than toy drones.

Reactions: WillB and GFields

I strongly suggest waiting / saving until you can purchase at the Mavic 2 Pro. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else. That is if you want to do professional work. I assume you have passed the FAA Part 107 exam and have your license to fly commercially.

I strongly suggest waiting / saving until you can purchase at the Mavic 2 Pro. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else. That is if you want to do professional work. I assume you have passed the FAA Part 107 exam and have your license to fly commercially.

Roger that and of course I would have my 107 license there is no problem there.

Oh wow, Something i can contribute to this topic. I actually do have the Drone. To Be honest as the Others members mentioned, You that U get what U pay for and this will Be the Case for this toygrade Drone. You do get some flying minutes Out of it, but the Quality is nowhere near good enough for roof inspections, at least as far as i can Tell. If You have any other question regarding this Drone, i can try to answer to best my knowledge.

Even while you have that $30 drone, you can still practice keeping the aircraft within line of sight and coordinating the joysticks for various movements. If you can do it on that drone, you WILL be able to do it on a DJI.

Saving up for something is the hardest part for me too, but do not cheap out -- you are already 10% of the way there! The quality of the images you get out of your drone will spread. You will have to decide on what kind of words you want to spread about your work.

Good luck!

I’ve paid serious money for some drones and have been hugely disappointed while only paying a fraction for others only for them to be “bullet proof”. There are some smaller companies putting out some pretty good drones. DJI has some issues for as expensive as their drones can be. Parrot is crushing it w solid drones.

Maybe things changed with Parrot from one year ago. I had my finger on the trigger to buy one...until I did a thorough search of reviews and owners reported HORRIBLE after-sale experiences that included lack of response, long, long delays because parts were UNAVAILABLE, and terrible customer service and follow-through. That's when I decided to spend a bit more money and go with the Mavic Pro.

Since then, I have seen and heard very much the same reports concerning DJI (with the exception of parts availability). All that to say, one, doesn't seem like DJI has anything over Parrot as it relates to warranty, service, and support, and two, unless something has changed, Parrot and DJI are "equals". Both sell a darn good product, but, according to hearsay, both have a history of treating their customers pretty poorly.

BTW, LOVE my Mavic Pro- just passed my one-year MP-owner anniversary last month...and am pleased that I've not had an occasion to require DJI service. And agree with the consensus that "you get what you pay for".

Reactions: DRONEKING1971
Go to your local retailer and use layaway. Bestbuy has a layaway, I think. Your local drone seller may as well. If you have any credit. Affirm finances drones. I am not 100% but sure DJI website has Affirm on it, or had. Even a Mavic 2 can be a hard sell as a "professional" drone. My older Inspire 1's get more credibility as pro drones. If you want work appearances matter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31