DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Best Color?

Trask55

Reactions
I've had a Mavic 2 Pro for several months and am finally getting a chance to fly it now that the weather is a bit drier (live in the Pacific Northwest and it rains all the time). I was out in the coast range of Oregon flying in a clearcut and was having a hard time tracking my drone when there where fir trees behind it. Twice I completely lost track of it after quickly glancing at my controller screen and had to gain enough elevation so the sky and clouds would silhouette it again before proceeding with the flight.

I see there are skins/decals available in any color imaginable. Does anybody have any color suggestions that would make the drone easier to track? Would prefer a color that isn't neon or fluorescent. I will be flying mostly in western Oregon and we have lots of Douglas Fir trees so dark green will be the predominate background color to contend with.

I've had a Mavic 2 Pro for several months and am finally getting a chance to fly it now that the weather is a bit drier (live in the Pacific Northwest and it rains all the time). I was out in the coast range of Oregon flying in a clearcut and was having a hard time tracking my drone when there where fir trees behind it. Twice I completely lost track of it after quickly glancing at my controller screen and had to gain enough elevation so the sky and clouds would silhouette it again before proceeding with the flight.

I see there are skins/decals available in any color imaginable. Does anybody have any color suggestions that would make the drone easier to track? Would prefer a color that isn't neon or fluorescent. I will be flying mostly in western Oregon and we have lots of Douglas Fir trees so dark green will be the predominate background color to contend with.
If you skin it just use the contrasting color you like best. If you really want to see it add strobes. I recommend Firehouse ARC2s or ARC XLs.

if you are flying against dark backgrounds, i would say orange or yellow will offer the best contrast,they come in shiny or matt finishes i have orange on my MPP and yellow on my MM,also some nav lights to help with orientation are a good idea as well

Reactions: Rockycat

They make rain suit for the mavic the dealer is on here just hit the search bar top right I'm sure u could find him

With the M2, you can program the landing light to turn on/off/auto with one of the back aux buttons. This helps if the drone is at a higher elevation than you. Also think about contrasting colors with maybe an area of white reflective tape to contrast with the trees. Don't overdo it, as the light color won't show up as well against the sky.

Flying full size aircraft, higher power zenon or LED strobes work well as light levels diminish, not so well in full sunlit conditions Wig-wag landing lights and strobes do seem to cut down on bird strikes though, so I use them full time. Flying gliders, in close proximity to other gliders on ridge or in thermals, strobes are of little to no value in collision avoidance and most don't have them installed. The light colored gliders show up well against dark backgrounds, of course, and poorly against the sky, being notoriously difficult to spot at closure speeds of a couple hundred MPH. No experience with strobes on my drone, but reviews seem good.

Reactions: Rockycat
Tough one, as your drone is often high, where a dark colour contrasts well with a clear or light cloud sky.
A dark stormy sky would not be as good with say black, but then you'd not likely be flying then anyway :)
Black too would be hot under the sun, you only have to wear black shorts in the car with the sun on them to feel how much this adds to temps.

Conversely, the forest green would like a light colour, so it's really a tough choice.

Maybe a bright red would stand out on both to a decent amount ?

I agree, add the FHT ARCII strobes or other such, the new ARC XL with the 1000 lumens (edited, not 100 typo !) and the 90db alarm for lost drones would be really good too.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of examples. even in daylight you can see the lights on the ground. The strobes are ARC XLs Videos will improve in a couple of hours per YouTube methodology.

I like your videos. The strobes seem to be the best locator I have seen.

Reactions: Thomas B
Fire House ARC2's work for me. Don't get them wet, had bad experience they got wet. Did not fly home fast enough in the rain. And, one is not working anymore. Anyway, that's what I think happened.

Reactions: Bob L
I am thinking of getting some Arc II strobes. I find them rather expensive, so it there any advantage to getting 2 of them and putting them on the same side as shown in Thoms B's 1st video. Would just one of these not offer the same visibility in daylight? Also, if using 2 of these, would it make more sense to put one in the front and one in the back, or does 2 on one side make it easier to see during the day?

Also, it looks like Thomas B has them on the front legs (had to tell in the video). Do they cause any problems with light leakage on the camera?

Finally, I think that the use of velco to hold them may make them more prone to breakage if you take them on / off to fold the legs. Are the 3D printed mounts that Aerial-Pixel offers (adding more cost) worth it?

Any comments from Thomas B or others would be most welcome. Want to pull the trigger, but I back off every time I see how much it is going to cost. So far, I do not fly at night, or even at dusk.

Fire House ARC2's work for me. Don't get them wet, had bad experience they got wet. Did not fly home fast enough in the rain. And, one is not working anymore. Anyway, that's what I think happened.
Yes in the PNW you do run into the occasional rain ;-)
How did you mount yours?
If you think it might get wet, you might want to consider packing a ziplock bag with rice in it. It' works well for drying out electronics.

I am thinking of getting some Arc II strobes. I find them rather expensive, so it there any advantage to getting 2 of them and putting them on the same side as shown in Thoms B's 1st video. Would just one of these not offer the same visibility in daylight? Also, if using 2 of these, would it make more sense to put one in the front and one in the back, or does 2 on one side make it easier to see during the day?

Also, it looks like Thomas B has them on the front legs (had to tell in the video). Do they cause any problems with light leakage on the camera?

Finally, I think that the use of velco to hold them may make them more prone to breakage if you take them on / off to fold the legs. Are the 3D printed mounts that Aerial-Pixel offers (adding more cost) worth it?

Any comments from Thomas B or others would be most welcome. Want to pull the trigger, but I back off every time I see how much it is going to cost. So far, I do not fly at night, or even at dusk.
I have never had an issue other than dense fog with the ARC XLs or the ARC 2s bleeding light into my view or imaging , even in night shooting. There is no light leakage..... personally never use Velcro.
With both my XLs, and before with my ARC2s, I have a white on each rear arm and also a red and a green on the front arms... one on each side in aircraft fashion. Total of 4 on the M2P. I arranged them as I did so that I can tell the drone orientation at a distance by VLOS.

I love the mounts I have for both types from @Aerial-Pixel . They are easy on and off in maybe 20 seconds, have never come, and don’t scratch or stress the arms or landing gear. You can have fronts on LG or arms.

I have tested the XLs, which come with certification by an independent tester that they are visible to 3.5 miles, and found it true in low light situations...the distance does decrease with angle viewing of the drone... see the info attached at the bottom.

Here’s a low light video from a recent trip to Sedona... no light problems.

Here’s the testing info which comes in the ARC XL package:
4F8C76B9-ACAF-4BB4-98D9-D7E728AB890C.jpeg
821CE646-BD4E-403F-B15D-641BCBA87EB6.jpeg

I am just a satisfied user and not affiliated with Firehouse or Aerial-Pixel

So you be the judge for your planned uses.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972