DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Deploy Results

Reactions
I am not being paid by Drone Deploy, but attached to this thread are the results of the mapping from the pathos I took. Although the processing to some time, the results are pretty cool.

This is a 33 acre section of undeveloped property in my neighborhood. My MA took over 280 photos, on one battery. I also conducted a flight over the property to give you all a better idea of how large this is. I think Drone Deploy uses your flights to help update the national mapping database

I didn't buy the app, I am on a trial basis.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 83
Hi there!
I too am interested in some mapping software (I am currently fiddling around with MapsMadeEasy)... can I ask you a few questions (and if anyone has any suggestions to a newbie in this area, I would just love to hear them!)?

I too, have a Mavic Air, and tried a test recently, on a 37 acre site, which almost resulted in disaster.... the MA went into battery fail-safe Landing mode and I almost lost it (had it landed, it would have been gone, because of where it was)
Bottom line is that the battery depleted very quickly. Granted, there was a very strong wind during the flight... maybe 40 klms/hr (24.8mph) with gusts to 60 (37.2 mph), so I shouldn't really have been flying it (I had to take the chance though, because of circumstances).
The actual flight distance was quite small,at 2.3 klms, but there were about 180 photos taken, so that's 180 JPGs PLUS the 180 DNG files.

Anyhow... my REAL question is:....... does using 'DNG plus JPG' image capture, kill the battery, and if so, how dramatic is this.... is it a significant blow to the battery life?
My little test run indicates to me that the MA isn't the tool for the job when it comes to mapping..... no wiggle room in the small test I did, so anything bigger would kill it!

And Drone Deploy..... I realize you are just trialing it, but have you any thoughts you could share?
I haven't registered for the DD trial as yet, because I want to get a little experience in using Litchi waypoints, getting the overlay right etc before I go with the trial.... I don't want to waste any of the trial period in learning the process.
thanks,
Mike

does using 'DNG plus JPG' image capture, kill the battery, and if so, how dramatic is this.... is it a significant blow to the battery life?
No, it won't affect battery life. But the question is: do you need both DNG and JPG? Most mapping providers accept JPG's only due to storage reasons and image barrel distortion depending on the camera.

My little test run indicates to me that the MA isn't the tool for the job when it comes to mapping.....
If you are only doing this for fun and self education, go with the AIR. Otherwise you are right. If you are doing this for money, get you a P4 RTK or one of the Matrice series.

there was a very strong wind during the flight...
Do not fly a mapping mission at strong winds. One point you experienced yourself, Battery depletion.
Another point is the more the aircraft tries to hold posion in strong wind, the images become not so sharp as you would like. If addition, if you are flying above trees, the tree tops are moving with the wind back and forth, making the stiching process hard to complete and/or you will have blank spots in your finally rendered image. (or the render process will fail)

I hope this helps
//K

I use a Mavic pro to do the photography running Drone Harmony. Upload to Precision Mapper to produce the orthomosaic. I then import into MapWindows5 to mamipulate the map

No, it won't affect battery life. But the question is: do you need both DNG and JPG? Most mapping providers accept JPG's only due to storage reasons and image barrel distortion depending on the camera.

If you are only doing this for fun and self education, go with the AIR. Otherwise you are right. If you are doing this for money, get you a P4 RTK or one of the Matrice series.

Do not fly a mapping mission at strong winds. One point you experienced yourself, Battery depletion.
Another point is the more the aircraft tries to hold posion in strong wind, the images become not so sharp as you would like. If addition, if you are flying above trees, the tree tops are moving with the wind back and forth, making the stiching process hard to complete and/or you will have blank spots in your finally rendered image. (or the render process will fail)

I hope this helps
//K

Thanks a million Keule.....
your information was very helpful. I was thinking that with the Gigabits of DNG data going to the card, it would have affected battery life, but it must just have been the wind.
At the moment, I am just getting to know the mapping thing (I have zero experience at this stage), but in the future, I hope to provide this as a service to some folk who have already asked for it.... so that explains the learning stage, and the search for appropriate software (probably Drone Deploy)

I am using the MA now, simply because it is there....... were I to do this professionally, I would be using either a Mavic 2, P4 or Matrice as you suggested, if for no other reason, to get double the flight time.

thanks again mate...
Mike

I use a Mavic pro to do the photography running Drone Harmony. Upload to Precision Mapper to produce the orthomosaic. I then import into MapWindows5 to mamipulate the map

Thanks Bushie (I'm on the Qld Sunny Coast myself).. I will look into all of your suggestions...... so much to learn here....

thanks again....
Mike

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato