DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone fell out of the sky.

Flying Av8tor

Reactions
Hi, I was flying my Mavic 2 pro which to date has had five flights, in a wide open field. I flew the drone today
first flight successful, The issue came with the second flight when I took the drone up to 300 feet, left it hovering
battery was fully charged and my phone which is connected to the DJI go app was 65% charged. with out any warning the drone
just fell out of the sky nothing I could do about it. The drone has a broken boom and wont turn on. Luckily I have the warranty so will
be replaced. But interested to know why it fell out of the sky like that. The drone was bought new and so were the batteries.

What boblui said. Download the files and you’ll get an educated answer to what exactly happened. Anything else will just be a guess.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
There is certainly a reason; they don't just 'fall from the sky'. It will be interesting to see the analysis of the data.

with help from one of my friends though the app it has not recorded information from any of the five flights. Data
says no flights recorded, I have gone though the settings on the same account with no information to show. Drone landed with battery firmly attached.

Last edited:
That's a scary experience.

Starnge there are no logs

Go to a website airdata.com and follow instructions on their free account and see if you can retrieve anything that way

I had exactly the same thing happen to me yesterday afternoon. i was hovering at about 16meters or 50ft and the drone just dropped to the ground. The props didn't seem to be spinning when it hit the ground.

link to my thread

I am thankful that the drone is under warranty and will be replaced, but strange there is no data. It was a scary experience because my drone is for work purposes and I don't need that crashing down on someone's car ect. Like you skycap same issues, and it wasn't because of the CSC.

Would have been good to learn why that happened.

Two of my three Mavic 2 Pro batteries are starting To swell on the bottom. Not super noticeable unless you are looking for it. But they wobble when set on the table. I noticed with those two they don’t snap into the housing all they securely. Really afraid they will simply pop out and the bird will come crashing down with no power. My prediction is that as the Mavic 2 Pros continue to age we are going to see more and more falling out of the sky...

Z

Two of my three Mavic 2 Pro batteries are starting To swell on the bottom. Not super noticeable unless you are looking for it. But they wobble when set on the table. I noticed with those two they don’t snap into the housing all they securely. Really afraid they will simply pop out and the bird will come crashing down with no power. My prediction is that as the Mavic 2 Pros continue to age we are going to see more and more falling out of the sky...

Z

Time to replace those sir. They will by testimony posted here many times, cause that very same issue you mention. Just this month my 2017 Mavic Pro has 2 of 3 original lipos swell. They had to go....I replaced them both and still could use 2 more...

Reactions: Zandian
Time to replace those sir. They will by testimony posted here many times, cause that very same issue you mention. Just this month my 2017 Mavic Pro has 2 of 3 original lipos swell. They had to go....I replaced them both and still could use 2 more...

Oh yeah, for sure. Stopped using them as soon as I noticed how easily they popped out. Batteries are expensive though. Think I’ll wait for the M3 instead. Unless it isn’t coming for awhile, then maybe.

Z

Reactions: Robert Droner
I have recently experienced my Mavic 2 Zoom drop out of the sky. The battery ejected in mid-flight. If you have no data from your phone to do a proper analysis, then you cannot rule out the possibility that the battery disconnected in flight.
Go to the GENERAL MAVIC 2 DISCUSSION FORUM for more info and photos of this developing issue.

Reactions: Jerdog
I also wrote about this issue in the MAVIC 2 PRO forum and provided photos of the different designs of the batteries in the Mavic Pro series vs the Mavic 2 Pro series.
In my opinion the Mavic 2 Pro series has a design flaw as it relates to batteries and more Mavic 2 drones will continue to fall out of the sky unless you secure the battery in its compartment with a safety strap.

Reactions: Zandian
Whenever you set a battery make sure it clicks firmly in place. Then pull on it to make sure it is locked. I do this every time. Once in awhile the battery will pull loose, so I do it again. Scary but maybe it's the issue some are having with the drone falling from the sky. Just guessing.

I was watching a video a friend sent me from the Droning on Youtuber about caring for your batteries. The one thing for me is this drone since day one has not given me any flight data with the app. Its had four successful flights and the battery has hardly been used. I don't know if the battery are prone to just falling out. But I can assure there was no puffing and locked into place. I can't tell either if there was a issue with the battery because it was working when it crashed no longer works. As you all know these batteries are not the cheapest things and I have been doing my pre flights to make sure all is working and secure before flight.

I have had a issue now with two Dji drones one with a Spark, maybe I should have bought the Autel Evo drone instead.

I was watching a video a friend sent me from the Droning on Youtuber about caring for your batteries. The one thing for me is this drone since day one has not given me any flight data with the app. Its had four successful flights and the battery has hardly been used. I don't know if the battery are prone to just falling out. But I can assure there was no puffing and locked into place. I can't tell either if there was a issue with the battery because it was working when it crashed no longer works. As you all know these batteries are not the cheapest things and I have been doing my pre flights to make sure all is working and secure before flight.

I have had a issue now with two Dji drones one with a Spark, maybe I should have bought the Autel Evo drone instead.
I am thankful that the drone is under warranty and will be replaced, but strange there is no data. It was a scary experience because my drone is for work purposes and I don't need that crashing down on someone's car ect. Like you skycap same issues, and it wasn't because of the CSC.

You must have the latest dji drone made especially for the US market. They come with no ability to record data so they can’t be accused of spying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78