DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Rescue by a Pro

Just out of curiosity, how much did it cost you?
100 bucks.

I had hoped for around 50 bucks, but when I saw the professionalism and equipment and skill being employed, I knew it would be 100.

Which I happily paid!

TCS

You should send this video to DJI to use as a commercial
Probably a good plan.

I'm going to splice together the video from the flight before the crash, the actual crash, the rescue, and the return to flight, and then edit it down to a reasonable length.

If DJI wants a testimonial to the hardiness of the Mini-2, I would happily provide it!

:)

TCS

Actually, it was 95 ft tall. I had guessed 80 ft, but when I asked John, he said "right about 100 ft".

Once Defiant was back in the air a little later, I went to the top to go see...and sure enough, 95 ft on the display.

I say "fell through 75 ft" because the fall started at the top, and ended about 20 ft above the ground.

There's a 120 footer off my back deck, which will be in a future flight plan!

TCS
My RTH is 138ft try that !

My RTH is 138ft try that !
It's off of my back deck, and looking at it now, I think it's closer to 140 feet. The base is about 15 feet below the deck. I live on a pretty steep slope.

Measurement task! From a respectful distance from the tree, I'll drop the drone down to the base, check the altitude, and then go up to the top and check it again.

I usually set my RTH at 200 ft. But the vast majority of the time when I've used it, I've been well above that.

Thx,

TCS

Here's my guy. Boston area. Paid $150. Well worth it.

Been flying for 10 years, 1,000's of flights. First time ever into a tree. I was doing a mapping mission and flying a grid. Set altitude to 150' but I failed to look around the rear of the property which had a 30-40' slope and some really tall trees. On last pass of the grid, I clipped the top of the tallest tree.

I was 99% which tree it was in even though I could not see it through the thick canopy.

This guy spent about 30 minutes getting to it.

Phantom 4 PV2. Had to sit out the night in the rain too. Unbelievably he found the battery that had ejected on impact on another branch going up to find the drone.

Even more unbelievably....absolutely nothing was wrong after the impact and the night in the rain. I didn't even have to calibrate the gimbal.

I was spending the money so I had something to send back to DJI for repair or Care Refresh. Didn't know I would have my drone working 100%....pleasantly surprised.

IMG_20190815_162143.jpeg

Reactions: BethanyFerrell
Here's my guy. Boston area. Paid $150. Well worth it.

Been flying for 10 years, 1,000's of flights. First time ever into a tree. I was doing a mapping mission and flying a grid. Set altitude to 150' but I failed to look around the rear of the property which had a 30-40' slope and some really tall trees. On last pass of the grid, I clipped the top of the tallest tree.

I was 99% which tree it was in even though I could not see it through the thick canopy.

This guy spent about 30 minutes getting to it.

Phantom 4 PV2. Had to sit out the night in the rain too. Unbelievably he found the battery that had ejected on impact on another branch going up to find the drone.

Even more unbelievably....absolutely nothing was wrong after the impact and the night in the rain. I didn't even have to calibrate the gimbal.

I was spending the money so I had something to send back to DJI for repair or Care Refresh. Didn't know I would have my drone working 100%....pleasantly surprised.

View attachment 139758
Now THAT'S a cool picture!

I was shocked to discover that my Mini-2 had no damage either, after the adventure. I just popped in a fresh battery, and it was up, up and away!

TCS

Here's the video of my Tree Pro rescuing my drone Defiant yesterday. Look at how precise he is in his movements. He did no damage to the drone at all.

And for context, this drone fell through 75 ft of pine tree, froze overnight in 23º F weather, was rescued as shown here, and then flew later that day with no repair work of any kind.

If it hadn't happened, I'd say it was impossible.

Amazing!

TCS
I am unable to do that!

It's incredible the skills this guy has. My respects.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu