DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones on planes

JohnChap

Reactions
I recently noticed this message at an Emirates counter (not the check-in counter but the pre-boarding one). I asked the person what the issue is with drones. The reply was that the drones have (prop) blades and so are a security issue. Needless to say I didn't own up that I have a drone nor would I ever if they plan to take the props away. Are there other airlines with a similar restriction or is it just Emirates.

Attachments

• IMG_6486.JPG
    IMG_6486.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
The "blade" explanation would be only valid for carry on luggage, nobody cares if you have blades down in the hold.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I can't see that it is valid even for carry on luggage. I could only cut butter with my blades (Mavic pro). The blades on the knives they serve for eating are potential far more dangerous.

They are probably worried about aftermarket blades (carbon fiber, possible metal), not the plastic ones your drone comes with. If you're at all worried just toss the pops in your checked bag and it's a complete non-issue. Or perhaps more likely, they need to make sure the batteries are under 100Wh and the person you talked to wasn't well informed. Also they like to swab and/or individually scan drones due to their size and potential for misuse. I've traveled internationally with my drone dozens of times and had zero problems.

Whatever you do, don't try to hide anything from them - that is when you actually run into problems. Honesty and full transparency is often appreciated and if anything they will go easier on you. It's not like they aren't going to see your drone when your bag goes through the X-ray - might as well avoid that secondary search.

But they don't see the drone when it goes through x-ray, well if they do they have never commented. I have flown many times with it. I take your point though, that it might be good precaution to put the props in main luggage as undoubtedly one day there will be some bozo who doesn't distinguish between a plastic and after-market prop and throws them in the bin!

I've never had issues traveling with my drones or props. That's an airline specific policy. As someone else said, just place the props in your checked luggage.

Having said that, you'd be amazed what a Marine can do with plasticware and a magazine. Or that blanket they pass out and a soda can.

But they don't see the drone when it goes through x-ray, well if they do they have never commented. I have flown many times with it. I take your point though, that it might be good precaution to put the props in main luggage as undoubtedly one day there will be some bozo who doesn't distinguish between a plastic and after-market prop and throws them in the bin!

They definitely do see it, whether or not they care is another matter. I am not sure if you've ever peeked at their screens or been in an airport where they don't even try to hide it, but they can see everything clear as day when your carry-on bag goes through security. If it's a drone, laptop, tablet, camera, etc. it is extremely obvious even to the untrained eye, and I am sure they are trained to notice far more detail (the software highlights certain things for them as well). I usually travel with about $10K of camera gear in addition to my drone and I'm always curious to see it go though the x-ray - there is no mistaking what it is. Even if they didn't know what a drone was, they would see a large battery and large electronic device and make a judgement call based on that.

At least props are cheap, but I've never personally had an issue. I can't imagine them confiscating plastic props but I could be wrong.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I recently noticed this message at an Emirates counter (not the check-in counter but the pre-boarding one). I asked the person what the issue is with drones. The reply was that the drones have (prop) blades and so are a security issue. Needless to say I didn't own up that I have a drone nor would I ever if they plan to take the props away. Are there other airlines with a similar restriction or is it just Emirates.
Emirates is well known for being different from other airlines when it comes to drones.
They have their own ideas.
And from what you say it seems their concern is about the carbon fibre props that some other brands use (but the cabin staff probably don't differentiate between drones and props).

Reactions: tleedom
Several years ago I traveled thru the Dubai, Bahrain and Qatar part of the world (self deleted irrelevant entry) and once outbound I had a retractable tape measure taken from my carry on during a pre-boarding check because it could be used as a cutting instrument. I would understand the restriction on props.

Last edited:
The reason Emirates ban drones in the cabin is because some **** tried to fly one in a cabin while in flight on an Emirates aircraft.

I can't see that it is valid even for carry on luggage. I could only cut butter with my blades (Mavic pro). The blades on the knives they serve for eating are potential far more dangerous.

True, but the blades on the knives they serve can't butter four pieces of bread at once.

Reactions: raymo
I just got back from a 2 legged trip with Emirates, got my Air in the cabin luggage and didn't get any comments.
Must say I haven't seen this poster as well, but the fact that I arrived at the airport at 20:00 for my flight of 20:35 might have had something to do with that :rolleyes:

I do watch his videos because they are entertaining and have noticed a drop in aerial footage in his videos. I think the other issue is I dont think he has a 107 certification but he was still using his aerial footage on his youtube channel which I believe is monetized.

Several years ago I traveled thru the Dubai, Bahrain and Qatar part of the world (self deleted irrelevant entry) and once outbound I had a retractable tape measure taken from my carry on during a pre-boarding check because it could be used as a cutting instrument. I would understand the restriction on props.

I must admit it makes me wonder what some of these security people at airports etc. are on about. In the case of this bloke losing his tape, I would be more inclined to think the bloke that confiscated it has lost his and required another one for a potential building job.

I must admit it makes me wonder what some of these security people at airports etc. are on about. In the case of this bloke losing his tape, I would be more inclined to think the bloke that confiscated it has lost his and required another one for a potential building job.

Actually it was a she and through some broken English and Farsi she showed me with my tape measure that extending it 6 or 8 inches and locking it the tape was like a knife blade (yes you could have seriously cut someone open with it). To be honest I had never even considered it until it was demonstrated. They were very polite when I asked why I couldn't carry it on board.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent