DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I was just in Best Buy. Of course I walked through the drone aisle, and was shocked to still see a GoPro Karma sitting there, all by itself and looking very lonely. What a great design, great options including removable gimbal, and included gyro stabilized grip. Made me really sad that they had to stop making them, those 2 concepts are still more state of the art than the Mavics stock gimbal.

DJI has the Osmo, and can examine all the Karmas they want to borrow (steal) their removable design technology. They missed the mark with the Mavic this time around.

If I can ever get Best Buy to sell me the GoPro advertising display from the store, Im gonna buy it and show it to my grandkids some day and tell them, "young'uns, this was the first foldable 4k drone. No it's not made by DJI, it was a company named GoPro."

I’m hearing there is an Osmo coming by the end of the year that you use the camera from the mavic 2 on. But my source is Not an insider by any means. Just a guy that sells these and is likely making it all up.

But I do wish it was true.

It looks like the cameras really can be swapped by anyone:

Anyone did the swap yet with good results? I know a few that have bought both aircraft and did it. They are reporting some issues, however after refreshing FW, they officially are working. Non have reported back on any other issues so far.:) It looks like plug and play to me so far.:D

Last edited:
Concerning DIY gimbal swap and DJI Refresh, from the DJI web site care refresh FAQ:
4、If my Mavic 2’s gimbal has been replaced, can I still use DJI Care Refresh?
Yes. The new service under DJI Care Refresh allows the customer to replace the Mavic 2’s gimbal. One DJI Care Refresh service covers two replacement units per year, providing you with more flexibility.
The service covers the aircraft, gimbal, battery, and propellers. However, your service will not be restricted by your aircraft’s gimbal number. After replacing a Mavic 2 gimbal in a DJI designated repair center*, the system will automatically update your replaced product’s serial number.
*This includes the DJI Repair Center, officially recommended service centers, and authorized service centers.

So if you replace your gimbal with the same type you need to update Refresh with the new gimbal SN.

5、Can I exchange my Mavic 2 Pro gimbal for a Mavic 2 Zoom gimbal under DJI Care Refresh?
No. DJI Care Refresh does not cover exchanging your gimbal for another model’s gimbal. However, you may apply for this particular service separately. DJI Care Refresh will only replace the same gimbal that came with your corresponding edition. For example, if you send in a Mavic 2 Pro, we will replace it with a Mavic 2 Pro gimbal only.

So if you change gimbal to a different type and want it covered by Refresh there is a separate service for that. I don't know what the charges or restrictions are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Form follows function and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Karma was and still is beautiful and has features still not found in any if its competitors.

Early iterations of the Spark shared a key feature of the Karma :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak