DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

exif data from the jpg pictures taken by a mini

Ronny St.

Reactions
Maybe a stupid question, but does someone knows if the coordinates and the height are saved on the jpg file? It could reside in the exif-data, but since I could not find them, they might be hidden of just not recorded.
Movies made with the MM have the data as subtitle, so there is it stored and that is why I wonder if that goes also for the pictures.

No stupid questions, just stupid answers... ;) What kind of viewer are you using? Mavic series should by default save GPS data in original Jpg EXIF files.

No stupid questions, just stupid answers... ;) What kind of viewer are you using? Mavic series should by default save GPS data in original Jpg EXIF files.
:)
I am using the built-in viewer from Windows10. It gives focal length, aperture, shuttertime,...and lots more but not coordinates. I will probably have to look for a better EXIF file reader.

Yeah, it should work... You can try any of free Exif readers available... I would like to know if it works or not.

Edit: Could be you need FW update also... Please, let us know.

Last edited:
Think I found a practical one: Irfanview portable so that you do not have to install some extra software on your computer. Drag&drop and after loading a picture, just press 'E' and it gives all the exif data.
It revealed something odd: I used it on a picture I had taken from a height of 100m as given by the Flyapp, but the exif says it was 76.88 m. Strange and quite a big difference. I will make one of these days some more pictures with the MM and note the height Flyapp gives me to compare it with the height stored in the exif.

I use XNview, and that shows coordinates and height in the exif properties. The height is likely the barometric pressure from the drone's barometer(ie altimeter) converted in to meters above sea level, without any calibration to account for atmospheric pressure variations. It bears some resemblance to height, but it doesn't agree with either the height above takeoff point nor height above sea level.

I use XNview, and that shows coordinates and height in the exif properties. The height is likely the barometric pressure from the drone's barometer(ie altimeter) converted in to meters above sea level, without any calibration to account for atmospheric pressure variations. It bears some resemblance to height, but it doesn't agree with either the height above takeoff point nor height above sea level.
So what is the purpose than? One thinks to be at e.g. 50 meters but there is a huge tolerance on that number. And the most strange thing is that in restricted zones it will set your alititude limit to a false height...?!

GPS height is rarely an exact science - it is much more precise with lat/long. I recall a very lengthy discussion in the Mavic 2 forums about the height values reported in logs as well as other places.

I have used Irfanview for years as my photo viewer. Unfortunately, win10 on my desktop does not want to keep it set as my default. every few days I have to reset - pain in the rear.

Remains the question what the most exact value is, the one on the app or the one in the exif with the gps coordinates, of which I now wonder were the height value comes from to be included in the exif. I really would like to know more about it this matter.

Ditto what ff22 says about reported heights, my classic is being stood under the drone at the sea shore and the GPS thinking the drone was below sea level, significantly so if I remember correctly

The location coordinates are in the EXIF data in the fields GPS Latitude and GPS Longitude, and again in GPS Position. As with previous models, the altitude is listed in three fields:

Absolute Altitude : +2175.35
Relative Altitude : +0.00
GPS Altitude : 2175.3 m Above Sea Level

In many earlier models these data were incorrectly named and confusing; Relative Altitude was height above the takeoff point derived principally from the barometer assuming a standard atmosphere, while both Absolute Altitude and GPS Altitude were altitude MSL based on the barometric pressure, again assuming a standard atmosphere. GPS altitude data, despite the name GPS Altitude, was not used or listed. The Mavic 2 firmware was changed, in response to numerous complaints about things like negative altitudes when flying near sea level, to put the actual GPS altitude MSL in the GPS Altitude field. They also put it in the Absolute Altitude field, presumably because it is generally much more accurate than the barometric altitude, but that was still somewhat confusing.

That issue, and the Mavic 2 fix was discussed in the following threads:

Now the bad news - it appears that the Mini has the old EXIF definitions, i.e. both Absolute Altitude and GPS Altitude are barometric MSL. That's clear from looking at a couple of EXIF datasets, firstly where the photo was taken without a GNSS lock and secondly where there was a GNSS lock but noting that the GPS Altitude field doesn't correspond with the actual recorded GPS alitude:

No GNSS lock at 2260 m MSL:

GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level​
Absolute Altitude : +2173.80​
Relative Altitude : +0.00​
GPS Altitude : 2173.7 m Above Sea Level​

GNSS lock at 2260 m MSL:

GPS Altitude Ref : Above Sea Level​
Absolute Altitude : +2175.35​
Relative Altitude : +0.00​
GPS Altitude : 2175.3 m Above Sea Level​

Note that the altitudes listed are wrong, but correct relative to a the current atmospheric pressure in a standard atmosphere, in this case 87 meters (285 ft) low.

As a result the absolute and GPS altitude fields are basically useless - if you want anything approaching useable numbers you will have to extract GPS altitude from the flight DAT file.

Reactions: Bernard
Ditto what ff22 says about reported heights, my classic is being stood under the drone at the sea shore and the GPS thinking the drone was below sea level, significantly so if I remember correctly

That was barometric altitude in the misnamed GPS Altitude field, not GPS altitude.

GPS height is rarely an exact science - it is much more precise with lat/long. I recall a very lengthy discussion in the Mavic 2 forums about the height values reported in logs as well as other places.

I have used Irfanview for years as my photo viewer. Unfortunately, win10 on my desktop does not want to keep it set as my default. every few days I have to reset - pain in the rear.

GPS altitude error is typically around twice the lateral error, and so far better than the barometric pressure altitude, which assumes a standard atmosphere and varies wildly with the weather. It's not uncommon for it to be hundreds of feet off.

Reactions: scro
@ff22 I'm not convinced its GPS altitude that gets logged. Photos I've taken inside with no GPS have a valid altitude stamp in the Exif, but have a string of zeroes for the coordinates. I expect it's taken from the altimeter, like the fly app altitude. The difference is the app uses relative pressure difference and the exif records absolute. Relative pressure difference gives a fairly accurate height relative to takeoff point.

When theres a high pressure weather system over you you'll have overly low altitude figures in the exif data, and when theres a low pressure you'll get overly high altitudes. I've had an altitude of approx 476m on the exif for a photo that was taken about 50m up from a beach, one a slightly stormy day Atmospheric pressure fluctuations would easily cause an offset of this much if using pressure to determine altitude (typically 1.18mbar for 10m change in altitude and atmospheric pressure can vary by tens of mbar)

Not really a useful figure. GPS altitude, with its known lack of accuracy would be better.

@ff22 I'm not convinced its GPS altitude that gets logged. Photos I've taken inside with no GPS have a valid altitude stamp in the Exif, but have a string of zeroes for the coordinates. I expect it's taken from the altimeter, like the fly app altitude. The difference is the app uses relative pressure difference and the exif records absolute. Relative pressure difference gives a fairly accurate height relative to takeoff point.

When theres a high pressure weather system over you you'll have overly low altitude figures in the exif data, and when theres a low pressure you'll get overly high altitudes. I've had an altitude of approx 476m on the exif for a photo that was taken about 50m up from a beach, one a slightly stormy day Atmospheric pressure fluctuations would easily cause an offset of this much if using pressure to determine altitude (typically 1.18mbar for 10m change in altitude and atmospheric pressure can vary by tens of mbar)

Not really a useful figure. GPS altitude, with its known lack of accuracy would be better.

That's almost correct, except that the EXIF data include relative and absolute. See post #13 above for the complete explanation.

Reactions: scro
@sar104 my exif viewer doesn't show a relative altitude field for photos taken with the MM so wasn't aware it recorded that. I presume the relative altitude datafield corresponds with the live altitude readout in the app then?

@sar104 my exif viewer doesn't show a relative altitude field for photos taken with the MM so wasn't aware it recorded that. I presume the relative altitude datafield corresponds with the live altitude readout in the app then?

That's correct - it is the same as OSD.height from the txt logs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcremona