DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA uses phrase "civil sunrise and civil sunset" on Part 107 Authorization, but no such thing exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug86

Reactions
Search the FAA for normal hours of operation under Part 107, you can find this: "You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) "

I applied for and have received approval via Airspace Authorization permit to fly up to 100' AGL in class C airspace for one day (thank you FAA!). The second page includes the Special Provisions of the permit, and in part says
a. This Certificate of Waiver or Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time. [ underlines added by me. ]

Of course, if you search anywhere within the FAA, (or anywhere for that matter) you will not find any definitions for civil sunrise or civil sunset , but only references to official sunrise or sunset. There are many places that refer to civil twilight, as previously defined above. I believe that the folks who created the Certificate probably meant to say civil twilight, not civil sunset/sunrise.

If you're confused already, here is what the National Weather Service has to say about things:

Civil Twilight:
  • Begins in the morning, or ends in the evening, when the geometric center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. Therefore morning civil twilight begins when the geometric center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon, and ends at sunrise. Evening civil twilight begins at sunset, and ends when the geometric center of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon. Under these conditions absent fog or other restrictions, the brightest stars and planets can be seen, the horizon and terrestrial objects can be discerned, and in many cases, artificial lighting is not needed.
Nautical Twilight:
  • Begins in the morning, or ends in the evening, when the geometric center of the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon. In general, the term nautical twilight refers to sailors being able to take reliable readings via well known stars because the horizon is still visible, even under moonless conditions. Absent fog or other restrictions, outlines of terrestrial objects may still be discernible, but detailed outdoor activities are likely curtailed without artificial illumination.
Astronomical Twilight:
  • Begins in the morning, or ends in the evening, when the geometric center of the sun is 18 degrees below the horizon. In astronomical twilight, sky illumination is so faint that most casual observers would regard the sky as fully dark, especially under urban or suburban light pollution. Under astronomical twilight, the horizon is not discernible and moderately faint stars or planets can be observed with the naked eye under a non light polluted sky. But to test the limits of naked eye observations, the sun needs to be more than 18 degrees below the horizon. Point light sources such as stars and planets can be readily studied by astronomers under astronomical twilight. But diffuse light sources such as galaxies, nebula, and globular clusters need to be observed under a totally dark sky, again when the sun is more than 18 degrees below the horizon.
Shall I see if I can get the FAA to correct the phraseology in the Certificates in the future?

Reactions: Thmoore
I wouldn't assume the FAA meant civil twilight. It would be safer to assume they mean local sunset / sunrise less you bust the operating restrictions of your certificate. Of course, if you are intend to fly around that time, it might be better for you to seek clarification.

yup, that is why I've already send an enquiry about it asking for clarification. It is the use of the term 'civil' that creates the confusion, as there is no such thing as a civil sunrise. Never assume.

I'd call it trying to "Simply" Civil Twilight to make it more understandable (which I don't agree with )

I wouldn't get all twisted up on their words... you know exactly what they mean. Unless your bored and you want to piss the FAA off and get yourself put on the radar.
BINGO!!

The more work you cause now the less they are going to be willing to be "easy" on you in the future.

I wouldn't get all twisted up on their words... you know exactly what they mean. Unless your bored and you want to piss the FAA off and get yourself put on the radar.
If I knew exactly what they meant, I wouldn't have made this post. Why don't you tell me what they meant?

Reactions: Beet
I don’t worry about it anymore....but before I used the Old Farmer’s Almanac and the 30 minute rule, so I’d know exactly, on that day, what time sunset/sunrise was.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The 30 minutes before and after is used in manned aircraft regulations.

The FAR/AIM handbook is the pilots "bible" on everything flying including where to find the info on civil twilight for your location and date.
Copied from the AIM:

1. Astronomical data for the determination of Moon rise and set and Moon phase may be obtained from the United States Naval Observatory using an interactive query available at: 2. Click on “Data Services,” and then on “Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day.”
3. You can obtain the times of sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, transits of the Sun and Moon, and the beginning and end of civil twilight, along with information on the Moon’s phase by specifying the date and location in one of the two forms on this web page and clicking on the “Get data” button at the end of the form. Form “A” is used for cities or towns in the U.S. or its territories. Form “B” for all other locations.

or here:

Last edited:
Photopills is a tremendous tool for light planning in your images. Know just when to be there for the perfect angles.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I use this app FREE from the Play Store.

It has all of the different times for any date along with a moon / sun track with a shadow to plan a shot in the future.

If I knew exactly what they meant, I wouldn't have made this post. Why don't you tell me what they meant?
It means between sunrise and sunset not 30 minutes before sunrise or 30 minutes after. Did you get that part? Your COA is stricter than what the normal provisions of part 107 are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002