DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA withdraws DJI Mavic Pro Platinum RID compliance

What a pain in the backside. I’ve got my 107 but fly almost exclusively recreationally. But in the off chance I use a bird for commercial purposes, I’d have to de-register and re-register, incurring the $5 fee I’m sure.
You are not cancelling its registration in the FAADroneZone Database, you are merely changing it status from Active to "Other", granted it may say canceled, it is really In-Active, You then make the other Drone Active.

This way, only one drone at a time is Actively using your one RID Device…

You can be reactivated the first Drone at any time, it just takes a few minutes, but if you want to remain legal, you have got to do it…

But don't forget to Change the other Drone back to Other/In-Active/Cancelled/Whatever…

status.jpg

You are not cancelling its registration in the FAADroneZone Database, you are merely changing it status from Active to "Other", granted it may say canceled, it is really In-Active, You then make the other Drone Active.

You can be reactivated the first Drone at any time, it just takes a few minutes, but if you want to remain legal, you have got to do it…

But don't forget to Change the other Drone back to Other/In-Active/Cancelled/Whatever…

Reactions: LoudThunder
Thanks for that LT, I had no idea. No $5 fee but still sounds like a pain in the keister. I blithely thought I could just swap one rid module around at will, depending on what I felt like flying that day. Is that requirement 107 only or does it apply to rec also... please excuse my ignorance. I only fly rec... thx

Mini 2 and Spark won’t need one if I’m not flying under 107, so it’s just the P3A and P4P.

The Spark weighs 300 grams.

It will need an RID module if flying recreational or Part 107.

Hmm, that makes sense, I guess. In early April my MPP was leaving messages in the flight logs that the RID functionality was working properly. During a flight on April 2nd the RID seemed to work upon takeoff, but after that no more reference to RID at all. Seemed to have been working before that, but all subsequent flights have no RID references, as well. I was hoping that it was indeed compliant? Seems like it was working - then was shut off (by DJI)?

Thanks for the reminder - forgot it was over the 249g limit. Has been a long time since it's been out.

It's my son's -- I'll see what he wants to do with it. We can get a RID module for it, but given that he also has the Mini 2 at his disposal, not sure it'll see any action anymore. Really no advantage over the Mini 2.

Reactions: MA2 317

View attachment 166118

Thank you - really, really interesting that editing the record and adding the RID module S/N would remove the aircraft S/N on the Part 107 dashboard. As if the aircraft SN doesn't matter anymore...?

Can't imagine they wouldn't want both.

This whole process seems pretty poorly though out IMO. That's why I'm hoping there's a reprieve when we approach September until lower-cost RID modules come on the market....

Again it's not the end of the world either way for me -- I do have the Mavic 3 Pro & Avata with builtin RID, but I hate to strand the older birds over bureaucracy... because that's exactly what'll happen if this process is a bear.

Again it's not the end of the world either way for me
Almost anytime I want to fly, even for fun (Recreationally…) I have to call some ATC: Langley AFB, the International Airport, the Fort Eustis' Army Airfield, or Oceana Naval Air Station, because so many places are inside a Zero Altitude Quadrant (ZAQ) and that's the real reason I acquired my Part 107. A Rec Flyer cannot get an authorization to fly in a ZAQ. In fact, my home is in a ZAQ and I could not get an authorization to fly in my yard even to an altitude less than 25' (roof is 30' and the trees grow to over 100').

Here I am.png

I wrote and even phoned the FAA UAS Support Center -- [email protected] -- 844-359-6982
And asked them about this, we finally settled on the fact that I live in a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Now that I am Part 107 Licensed, I request an authorization to perform various Roof/Gutter Inspections and Real Estate Videos over a period of time to allow for "weather and owner participations" and I have always gotten 3-month authorizations.

And on a side note, I get to fly in my yard… (I've done a lot of inspecting of my roof and gutters… L 🤣 L…)

When an authorization is about a month out from expiring, I get a reminder from the FAADroneZone and I resubmit and reference the previously approved authorization and I've never had one disapproved…

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but after 30-years in the Air Force and having to do a lot of things just because… this is not too bad…

Fly Safe and Stay Legal…

Reactions: dmurphynj
Almost anytime I want to fly, even for fun (Recreationally…) I have to call some ATC: Langley AFB, the International Airport, the Fort Eustis' Army Airfield, or Oceana Naval Air Station, because so many places are inside a Zero Altitude Quadrant (ZAQ) and that's the real reason I acquired my Part 107. A Rec Flyer cannot get an authorization to fly in a ZAQ. In fact, my home is in a ZAQ and I could not get an authorization to fly in my yard even to an altitude less than 25' (roof is 30' and the trees grow to over 100').

I wrote and even phoned the FAA UAS Support Center -- [email protected] -- 844-359-6982
And asked them about this, we finally settled on the fact that I live in a "Drone Taxi Zone…"

Now that I am Part 107 Licensed, I request an authorization to perform various Roof/Gutter Inspections and Real Estate Videos over a period of time to allow for "weather and owner participations" and I have always gotten 3-month authorizations.

And on a side note, I get to fly in my yard… (I've done a lot of inspecting of my roof and gutters… L 🤣 L…)

When an authorization is about a month out from expiring, I get a reminder from the FAADroneZone and I resubmit and reference the previously approved authorization and I've never had one disapproved…

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but after 30-years in the Air Force and having to do a lot of things just because… this is not too bad…

Fly Safe and Stay Legal…

I feel your pain and understand exactly what you mean ... my home is less than 2.5 miles from the runway at Morristown airport (MMU). So my home teeters between a 200' and a ZAQ. Before my 107 I could only authorize the 200' quadrant which meant I could take off and head north but not south or southeast without tripping over it -- quite dangerous situation if you lose any situational awareness.

Without getting political, the real challenge with MMU was that this is where Air Force One would be stationed while a certain former President would have his golfing weekends in Bedminster. Immediate 30-mile NFZ almost perfectly centered on my home. What a hop in the butt! But kinda cool to watch AF1 take off over my house on Sundays ...

Even leaving my immediate perimeter, NJ is not an easy state to fly in. Lots of airports, the world's busiest ATC sector and so much more going on ... (check out the Hudson River Exclusion SFRA for example ...) Finding the holes in it all is as much a challenge as the flight itself.

So yeah, I need to start doing what you did and get a blanket authorization for roof inspections at my house. Would make things a lot easier - not sure why I never thought about a long-duration auth...? Still have to work my way through DJI's silliness but that's at least workable.

Thank you for your service -- I've never served in the military but work in the telecom industry ... who can produce paperwork to make the GSA blush. ;-)

do we need to get the RID modules or not? Im hoping not. If so, is there a low profile, lightweight one

As mentioned by others, yes a RID module is needed, to fly legally at least.

From a SparkPilots forum discussion I noticed the other day . . . one pilot had a couple of module specs and compared to a Flytron strobe (very small lightweight strobe light) . . .

"CubePilot's product measures 25mm (0.098") x 13.75mm (0.54") x 3.5mm (0.14") at 10gr (0.35oz)

Dronetag BS measures 17mm (0.66") x 14mm (0.55") x 5mm (0.19") at 3gr (0.35oz)

For comparison, my Flytron strobe is 20mm (0.79" x 16mm (0.63") x 8mm (0.31") at 4.5gr (0.16oz) and attaches to the RH aft prop guard with 3m Dual Lock velcro, so unless the module has specific placement requirements, I'd expect it could be attached similarly."

Hope that helps, the Spark is a very small craft to get anything extra on, but with those size above it should be easy on the other larger aircraft others might have.

Thank you - really, really interesting that editing the record and adding the RID module S/N would remove the aircraft S/N on the Part 107 dashboard. As if the aircraft SN doesn't matter anymore...?

Can't imagine they wouldn't want both.

This whole process seems pretty poorly though out IMO. That's why I'm hoping there's a reprieve when we approach September until lower-cost RID modules come on the market....

Again it's not the end of the world either way for me -- I do have the Mavic 3 Pro & Avata with builtin RID, but I hate to strand the older birds over bureaucracy... because that's exactly what'll happen if this process is a bear.
Even for drones with built-in RID (otherwise known as standard RID), all affected pilots will eventually need to go into their profile and add their RID details one-time and it's free. One day, the FAA will be able to publish numbers showing the number of registered drones with and without RID.

As mentioned by others, yes a RID module is needed, to fly legally at least.

From a SparkPilots forum discussion I noticed the other day . . . one pilot had a couple of module specs and compared to a Flytron strobe (very small lightweight strobe light) . . .

"CubePilot's product measures 25mm (0.098") x 13.75mm (0.54") x 3.5mm (0.14") at 10gr (0.35oz)

Dronetag BS measures 17mm (0.66") x 14mm (0.55") x 5mm (0.19") at 3gr (0.35oz)

For comparison, my Flytron strobe is 20mm (0.79" x 16mm (0.63") x 8mm (0.31") at 4.5gr (0.16oz) and attaches to the RH aft prop guard with 3m Dual Lock velcro, so unless the module has specific placement requirements, I'd expect it could be attached similarly."

Hope that helps, the Spark is a very small craft to get anything extra on, but with those size above it should be easy on the other larger aircraft others might have.
I believe Dronetag BS will need a power source (such as a battery) which adds to those numbers.

I feel your pain and understand exactly what you mean ... my home is less than 2.5 miles from the runway at Morristown airport (MMU). So my home teeters between a 200' and a ZAQ.
That Air Force One issue hits home here too. Due to the Airport's proximity to Langley (LFI) and Washington DC, we often see AF1 doing touch 'n goes and we have restrictions, but no NFZ for the touch 'n goes…

I've included a copy of the map that I submitted with my request for authorization. I've sanitized to maintain some measure of privacy…

I also edited it to show you my predicament… I've notated my home is in the ZAQ, and as you can see, across the street, it goes to 400'…

I've also included two Arc's, the Yellow Arc is the perimeter of the Class D Airspace for the Airport (PHF), and the Black Arc is the perimeter of the Class D airspace for Langley (LFI). As you can see they overlap. That was also visible in the map I included in the earlier posting… When I take off from my driveway, I get the warning that I am in Langley's controlled airspace on my controller and if I fly across the street, I get the warning on my controller that I am in the airport's airspace…

Atoka Turn -- Zoomed In View.jpg

I've been assigned to Langley 3-different times over my career and I usually call them (the ATC) when I'm going to fly. But they know me, the "old Chief," and sometimes we gab on the phone and they told me that I am about the only one who bothers to call. They do get calls but nowhere as many as they should… And they did share this with me, they do know when I flying even when I do not call, this is what they said, "We've got your number…" So I guess they are reading my drone telemetry and when I do not call, they know I am just "putzing" around the house…

They were taken back a bit when I said I was not Putzing and I emailed them this photo…

Believe it or not.png

It took them a while to figure I photo shopped it… L 🤣 L…

But back on point…

This is my justification for the authorization's longer window to have an active authorization.…

"I am requesting a 90-day window to perform these inspections to allow for the home-owners to be present and to account for the weather."

BTW, that map is a screen grab from my tablet running the DroneUp App

Good Luck…

Reactions: GregE
FAA withdraws DJI Mavic Pro Platinum RID compliance

This notice rescinds a declaration of compliance (DOC) for the DJI Mavic Pro Platinum unmanned aircraft with the assigned tracking number RID000000111 that the FAA-accepted on January 19, 2023, effective immediately.

Basis for Rescission​

In accordance with § 89.540(a)(1)(i), the Administrator may rescind a DOC under the circumstance that a standard remote identification unmanned aircraft or remote identification broadcast module listed under an FAA-accepted DOC does not meet the minimum performance requirements of §§ 89.310 or 89.320. In accordance with § 89.540(a)(1)(ii), the Administrator may also rescind acceptance of a DOC when a previously FAA-accepted DOC does not meet a requirement of this subpart.

The basis for rescission of the DOC with tracking number RID000000111 is as follows:

(1) DJI statement to the FAA that the group of products listed on DOC tracking number RID000000111 is not compliant with part 89 RID performance requirements.

(2) Statement from the DJI employee, whose name was listed as point of contact on the DOC submission, stating he had not made the DOC submission.

(3) DJI’s request for rescission of the DOC with tracking number RID000000111.
What are the consequences of flying with no RID after the date? who will be enforcing it?

I am an engineer and not a lawyer. bottom line for those of us flying old birds (M1P), do we need to get the RID modules or not? Im hoping not. If so, is there a low profile, lightweight one
Dronetsg beacon meets your requirements.

That Air Force One issue hits home here too. Due to the Airport's proximity to Langley (LFI) and Washington DC, we often see AF1 doing touch 'n goes and we have restrictions, but no NFZ for the touch 'n goes…

I've included a copy of the map that I submitted with my request for authorization. I've sanitized to maintain some measure of privacy…

I also edited it to show you my predicament… I've notated my home is in the ZAQ, and as you can see, across the street, it goes to 400'…

I've also included two Arc's, the Yellow Arc is the perimeter of the Class D Airspace for the Airport (PHF), and the Black Arc is the perimeter of the Class D airspace for Langley (LFI). As you can see they overlap. That was also visible in the map I included in the earlier posting… When I take off from my driveway, I get the warning that I am in Langley's controlled airspace on my controller and if I fly across the street, I get the warning on my controller that I am in the airport's airspace…

View attachment 166123

I've been assigned to Langley 3-different times over my career and I usually call them (the ATC) when I'm going to fly. But they know me, the "old Chief," and sometimes we gab on the phone and they told me that I am about the only one who bothers to call. They do get calls but nowhere as many as they should… And they did share this with me, they do know when I flying even when I do not call, this is what they said, "We've got your number…" So I guess they are reading my drone telemetry and when I do not call, they know I am just "putzing" around the house…

They were taken back a bit when I said I was not Putzing and I emailed them this photo…

View attachment 166124

It took them a while to figure I photo shopped it… L 🤣 L…

But back on point…

This is my justification for the authorization's longer window to have an active authorization.…

"I am requesting a 90-day window to perform these inspections to allow for the home-owners to be present and to account for the weather."

BTW, that map is a screen grab from my tablet running the DroneUp App

Good Luck…
Umm...look at this quick...I think my drone is being intercepted. What do you think?

What are the consequences of flying with no RID after the date? who will be enforcing it?
Primarily the FAA will be enforcing it along with their law enforcement officers and pretty much all other federal law enforcement officers from any agency in the federal government. There is also a support role played by state and local law enforcement including state police, troopers, deputies, and police officers. In the police state of America in 2023, this means potentially close to a million sworn officers. The consequences range from administrative corrective actions to civil penalties including heavy fines to time in federal prison (depending on the extent of your "crimes.")

If we can confirm that m1p or mpp had bluetooth along with wifi, the m1p and/or mpp being compliant is not so far fetched.

But without a firmware upgrade, as it sat, it was a no go.

• Wow
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne