DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming inside a Power Station

Jonnz

Reactions
Hi All Last year I had a job that involved shooting a hydro electric power station in New Zealand. I obviously got lots of Magnetic field warnings but the drone flew fine. Now I have been asked to shoot in the actual turbine hall of the power station. I understand that severe magnetic fields can disrupt the GPS cause crashes or flyaways etc. In my research I found drone companies that do inspections of power stations with drones so it must be possible. Is there anything you can do to to prevent an accident (apart from not fly!) (if I flew in ATTI mode would that solve it?) I fly a Mavic 2 Pro and use it as an extra tool with my other kit rather than being soley drone. Thanks for ant advice Cheers Jon The shot below was from the previous shoot.Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 5.54.13 PM.png
i All

I understand that severe magnetic fields can disrupt the GPS
Magnetic fields won't affect GPS but they will affect the compass.
It's unlikely that you would have GPS reception inside the turbine hall.

Reactions: DoomMeister
A lot of drones fly fine inside, without GPS signal as long as they are close enough to the floor for VPS to work. Fly higher and you will most likely be in ATTI mode, which, as there should be no wind to cause drift, should not be too problematic. You could always buy/borrow an older Phantom, so you can switch to ATTI tp practise - it's not hard.

Reactions: dozzn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman