DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Final Word On Range Extenders?

voip10

Reactions
I've been doing a bit of research (both here and elsewhere) for range extension options. I've been pretty dissatisfied on the range with this Mavic 2 Zoom that I bought second hand, and can't seem to get the drone anywhere near its maximum flight range as per DJI official data. Also important to add that I fly in mostly urban environments.

First flight on Dual Band I achieved 1333m (before black screen and return home).

Second flight on 5.8GHz I achieved 1718m (before black screen and return home).

Not sure if either were just flukes, but regardless this is nowhere near 11mi (tested on friends Mavic 2 Pro and it probably went about 700m before black screen and return home).

In my research I've come across three things:

First: The Alientech Duo II as per this post: Upgrade to the ALIENTECH DUO II: Leave Beginner Mode Behind.
This seems like a good option, and gets some good feedback, but is pretty expensive and I'd like to weigh some options before dropping on this.

Second: I've found is this thread: What is the BEST range extender right now for Mavic 2 Zoom?
This particular thread discusses three options as far as I can tell:

- Titan drones "command case"
- 4 Hawks "retrofit kit"
- Dual SunHans 5.8GHz signal booster with Raptor XR passive antenna system.

Quite a lot of information here that, as a novice, I'm trying to get straight.

This thread is also 4 years old, so I would guess there would be quite a few updates since then.
I would appreciate any clarity on that stuff if it's still relevant.

Third: I found these little things on Amazon that go for $12.00: Amazon.com

No idea what to think about these. If they gave you 10% more range for $12.00 I would guess that would be worth it for a lot of folks.

Conclusion:

I'd like a solid solution and don't mind spending a bit of money ($400 is probably the top of my range here, but open to anything if it's great). I would be happy if I could even get to 5 out of the 11 miles that DJI describes.

Any information is appreciated and welcomed, thanks.

Whatever you decide to get, don't buy from No Limit Dronez (NLD). I have recently open a thread on this forums to alert people not to make the same mistake, I'm now attempting to get my money back with PayPal as my items were never sent. I know several other people who are facing the same issue.

Being honest, I also know people who bought from them and received their items. But that was in the past. Looks like NLD decided to not give a s* about their customers lately.

Reactions: voip10
those little 12 dollar range extenders WORK!! Alientech is nice if you are going long distances all the time. BUT as said unless you have a waiver the 12 dollar ones are the best.

Reactions: voip10
I haven't flown my M2Z in a long time, but I have these and they do add to the distance.
Pleasantly surprised to hear this. User @Cafguy says the same! Was thinking about grabbing them for myself and a friend anyway.

Still would like to find something that doubles or triples the range though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista