DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware update procedure

winochef

Reactions
After watching the DJ a tutorial for updating the latest firmware update, I wanted to double check to make sure I understood it. If you hook your mobile device to your controller and the controller to your aircraft everything will be updated at one time correct? Or do you have to do each item individually?

You need to update the Mavic and remote controller separately.

Also, if new battery firmware is available, you'll need to insert each spare battery, power on your Mavic, and install the update from the DJI GO home screen. If an update is available, you'll see an "Inconsistent firmware found" message displayed there.

Reactions: frank19
I had the AC connected to the RC and the RC connected to the DJI GO4. During the update the AC started up several times. When restarting there was no “ inconsistent firmware “. But if I understand you correctly I need to Connect the remote controller to the DJI GO4 app and update then do the same thing with the aircraft. Is there a way to determine if each battery needs to be updated or is the best way to just insert all the batteries individually while connected to the DGI GO4 app?

I had the AC connected to the RC and the RC connected to the DJI GO4. During the update the AC started up several times. When restarting there was no “ inconsistent firmware “.
You'll see a prompt to update the firmware on the DJI GO home screen if the remote controller and/or battery needs to be updated. If you see no prompt, then you're likely running the current firmware.

You can confirm by checking the firmware versions in the "General Settings" --> "About" section of DJI GO. Compare those version against the versions listed in the Mavic release notes. The release notes can be downloaded from the Mavic Pro downloads page (or the Mavic Air downloads page).

Is there a way to determine if each battery needs to be updated or is the best way to just insert all the batteries individually while connected to the DGI GO4 app?
Assuming you're always running the same firmware on all of your batteries, you could just insert one of your spare batteries to see if an update prompt appears. If you see no prompt, then it would be safe to assume the other batteries are updated too.

Last edited:
I update by WiFi and it updates both . Just got a new one
the other day and was on 100 so updated and please correct
me if i’m mistaken but both were updated.
FBC9A06D-E889-4188-AD4A-07045A5535D7.png

I update by WiFi and it updates both . Just got a new one
the other day and was on 100 so updated and please correct
me if i’m mistaken but both were updated.
Yeah, the DJI GO app will try to install the aircraft and firmware updates right in a row for the Mavic Pro. If using the DJI Assistant 2 application, the updates must always be installed individually.

Reactions: dirkclod
That is what I thought. I used the app because DJ I tutorial made it sound like it would do ithe RC and AC simultaneously. I’m assuming if it did not update both you would get a warning of inconsistent firmware.

Thanks msinger that's the way I have did mine over the last year with wifi and had been successful as far as it saying complete and thought it had done both . Have never used the
assistant . Post # 2 had me confused . Thumbswayup

I’m assuming if it did not update both you would get a warning of inconsistent firmware.
Yep. You'll see a message on the home screen of DJI GO if either the remote controller or battery firmware does not match what's currently installed on the Mavic.

I only update the FW via WiFi, G04/Mini4/RC, MP, all devices at same time. I make sure batteries are all fully charged so update isn't interrupted by a low battery issue (happened to me once, the update stopped when the MP battery got below 50%, so had to change batteries in the MP and lucky the update continued were it left off from). I also, found that physically putting the RC/MP close to my router helps the process moving steadily, although slow at time, I keep checking to make sure that the loading percentage keeps on moving and I have never had an issue with the update first time around. Also, I noticed that while updating, it really hogs the router bandwidth and my other computers are very very slow accessing the internet, if they work at all, so I have been shutting my other devices down while updating the FW just so I don't glitch out the update.

I did all my last 3 updates using Assistant 2, with RC plugged to PC and AC connected to RC.
Each time, Assistant 2 did the update for both RC and AC (though not both at the same time).
I did not have to update RC and AC separately.

I only update the FW via WiFi, G04/Mini4/RC, MP, all devices at same time. I make sure batteries are all fully charged so update isn't interrupted by a low battery issue (happened to me once, the update stopped when the MP battery got below 50%, so had to change batteries in the MP and lucky the update continued were it left off from). I also, found that physically putting the RC/MP close to my router helps the process moving steadily, although slow at time, I keep checking to make sure that the loading percentage keeps on moving and I have never had an issue with the update first time around. Also, I noticed that while updating, it really hogs the router bandwidth and my other computers are very very slow accessing the internet, if they work at all, so I have been shutting my other devices down while updating the FW just so I don't glitch out the update.

I found locoman's post interesting. I tried 4 times to download using the Go 4 App, and it would hang up. DJI Support suggested just using the Assistant2 which I did and after uninstalling Assistant and downloading it again and re-installing it the download went without a hitch.

I would much prefer to use the Go4 App as the Contoller, Mavic and both pairs of Goggles should update simutaneously which is a lot easier than connecting each device up to Assistant individually. Next time I'll try Go4 App but close down any other devices and put the the Mavic, Controller and Goggles close to the router just in case there is interference causing the download failures.

Last night I update a new battery and also made me update to Fw .300

Don't be scared

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180215-202603.png
    Screenshot_20180215-202603.png
    542.5 KB · Views: 15
I have always used the app for updates. Never once ever had a problem.

I did all my last 3 updates using Assistant 2, with RC plugged to PC and AC connected to RC. Each time, Assistant 2 did the update for both RC and AC (though not both at the same time). I did not have to update RC and AC separately.

That is exactly what the tutorial says, provided the RC is connected to the PC by USB, and the MP is connected to the RC, also by USB.

I recently updated only the NFZ database -- not the FW -- and the DJI rep advised updating via the DJI GO 4 app on my iPad, as "the device needs to know where it is. Just be sure you have a strong WiFi signal before you begin."

"Does this mean that, if I travel to another country, I need to repeat the procedure there?"

"Probably, but you won't know for sure until you get thee and try it."

P.S. The download and update via WiFi took only a couple of minutes, not the "up to 15 minutes" that I was told to expect.

I am a bit in the wild when reading this thread. For all my updates I have used DJI Assistant 2.

What I have done is:
- Connect the RC to the computer with a usb cable.
- Connect the RC to MP in the normal way with the radio control link (no usb cable).

Then, when running the update, for all I can understand, both the RC and MP are updated. Also I have done a refresh with each battery to be sure.

What confuses me is reading that you must update MP and RC individually (post #7), and that you should connect MP to RC by usb cable (post #16).

I believe I am following what is said on page 61 in The Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0: Firmware Updates - Using DJI Assistant 2.

Is there anything I am getting wrong here?

Thanks,
Helge.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-19_17-58-58.png
    upload_2018-2-19_17-58-58.png
    4 KB · Views: 6
Have you ever tried to do the firmware update through the app. I find it very easy and you’re linking RC and the AC all in one shot. I have never had a problem doing it that way.

Reactions: winochef
Have you ever tried to do the firmware update through the app. I find it very easy and you’re linking RC and the AC all in one shot. I have never had a problem doing it that way.

That is the method that I use.

I am a bit in the wild when reading this thread. For all my updates I have used DJI Assistant 2.

What I have done is:
- Connect the RC to the computer with a usb cable.
- Connect the RC to MP in the normal way with the radio control link (no usb cable).

Then, when running the update, for all I can understand, both the RC and MP are updated. Also I have done a refresh with each battery to be sure.

What confuses me is reading that you must update MP and RC individually (post #7), and that you should connect MP to RC by usb cable (post #16).

I believe I am following what is said on page 61 in The Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0: Firmware Updates - Using DJI Assistant 2.

Is there anything I am getting wrong here?

Thanks,
Helge.

My guess is that the recommended procedure changes over time, i.e. as the app and fw are updated. In the video tutorial, while the voice is stating that the RC should be connected to the MP via USB if one wishes to update both at once with Assistant-2, no actual USB cable can be seen :oops:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt