DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.04.0400? Issues?

How has your experience been with the latest version of firmware 1.04.0400?

• I have updated and had no problems with the install or operation afterwards.

Votes: 74 67.3%
  • I have updated and had some problems with the install but got it working afterwards.

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • I have attempted the update, and it wont complete the install but my Mavic still works.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I have attempted the update, and it wont complete the install and my Mavic doesnt work now..

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
How has your experience been with the new firmware update 01.04.0400 released July 4, 2018? Is anyone currently having problems, or had problems with it? This firmware will not allow you to roll back to a previous version once you attempt and/or complete the update.

Please feel free to share your update experience.
Hi Thunderdrones, I did the update but today was the first day I actually got to go out and fly, before this firmware update it flew perfectly,
now id get out about 200 yrds and it kept disconnecting, and the latency was terrible. I fly with my apple iPad mini 3 and before like I said flawless,
I'm going to update my iPad then the Go4 app and the Litchi app and try it again, if this is still screwed up I'm going to roll back the firmware and check it. I wish for just once DJI would actually try these updates before they throw them out there for us.... I'll get back if any of my attempts actually work.
Thanks, SteveP55

Reactions: Former Member
Hi Thunderdrones,
Ok I updated my iPad mini 3 ios and then too my Mavic Pro Plat out for a short flight, flew perfectly, so then I sent it on a short Litchi way point mission to see if it completes the mission correctly, I am happy to report it few the mission like a champ! So I guess I seem to be back in good order again.
Thanks for the update on the firmware check,
Take Care
SteveP55

Hi Thunderdrones,
Ok I updated my iPad mini 3 ios and then too my Mavic Pro Plat out for a short flight, flew perfectly, so then I sent it on a short Litchi way point mission to see if it completes the mission correctly, I am happy to report it few the mission like a champ! So I guess I seem to be back in good order again.
Thanks for the update on the firmware check,
Take Care
SteveP55

Thats always a good feeling!

My experience has been positive so far. I haven't seen the gimbal issues that a few people mentioned earlier today.
How has your experience been with the new firmware update 01.04.0400 released July 4, 2018? Is anyone currently having problems, or had problems with it? This firmware will not allow you to roll back to a previous version once you attempt and/or complete the update.

As a real green newbie I upgraded out of the box as it asked......everything beautiful in Beginner mode! 3/4 days after Iwent out with it and it came up again to upgrade firmware.....I thought it was not possible to fly without doing it so I upgraded using my phone. It took about 30 mins....slow connection. When everything was good, still in Beginner mode, the Mavic lifted off the ground 2 feet and shot off spinning into the vineyards and crashed. Didn’t see any damage so tried again........same spectacular spinning and very fast then it crashed. All this is in the field and softish landing so again I did not see any damage. Brought it home and went through everything. Did an IMU Calibration, GPS etc. Checked the logs and it was showing compass error, obstacles, excessive speed....I am in Beginner mode and ready to fly!

Anyway, took it out the next day and it was worse! It raised up, turned round and shot off into the field crashing down. 3 times I tried and the logs still showed up compass errors, obstacles and excess speed.

Today I rolled it back to factory settings and calibrated it in DJI Assistant, I made sure the RC is talking to the MP, Checked the firmware on both were the same. I haven’ rolled back the firmware to .03, that I will do tomorrow if it is possible and then I will try once more to see if it will fly. If it doesn’t I will take it back to where I bought it less than 2 weeks ago! I should have kept it in the box lol.

When everything was good, still in Beginner mode, the Mavic lifted off the ground 2 feet and shot off spinning into the vineyards and crashed. Didn’t see any damage so tried again........same spectacular spinning and very fast then it crashed.
That sounds like the result of the compass being negatively affected by magnetic interference (not the work of a firmware upgrade).

Reactions: goixiz
Just another information point. I bought a new drone. As soon as I started it, an upgrade to 0400 was done. The drone had gimball issues where it twitched like crazy and had to be constantly calibrated. It became unstable in the air twice while flying where gimball would not sit still. (One time I was in atti mode, the second was gps). I down graded to previous version and have had no issues w flying since the downgrade.

It is possible that it was user error and the downgrade and subsequent refresh of settings is what fixed the problem, but I am afraid of upgrading to 0400.

Reactions: Grapecrusher
Here's my half useful data points: I hadn't done any updates since March but decided to try the new software just to see what happens: DJI Assistant 2 (Mac) from 1.2.0 to 1.2.4. Updated plane and RC firmware from 1.04.03 to 1.04.04 (plane update was slow, probably 30 minutes plus but it updated with one try). Updated DJI GO4 on my Huawei Ascend XT2 phone from 4.2.4 to 4.2.21..

Played with 2 battery flights at home and another 3 at the park. No problems except on the 2nd park run where I lost the video feed twice. The first one was close and I recovered the app. The second was about 300m out and I just flew back with the RC (this particular flight did not record in the GO4 app flight log, either) Both of my video losses were while in Quickshot mode but not when I was taking pictures.

No unusual plane stability issues. It shakes around a little, this on a pretty windy day (10 knots or so). Tentatively I'm OK and overall the Ascend XT2 has been pretty robust with the GO4 updates. (didn't try 4.2.20 !!!) My Insignia tablet has pretty much crapped out with GO4 revision 4.1.15 which has lots of video lag, pixilation and eventually total app disconnect when the tab starts to get hot.

I need help, first itime flyin since the upgrade, , actually did a small flight the other night for a few minutes. But htis time the Mavic pro did not respond to RTH. And I lost it in the creek..I had compass error then it was on it sown, no controls worked, no return home and I did my check perfectly before taking off.. This really sucks...DJI what do i Do and I ‘ve had my Pro for over 2 years and good flyer and always fly in this area...this was firmware issue for sure....

Not really any significant problems .... flew 5-6 times since then just had an imu calibration notice after the update but that must have been irrelevant

I updated the firmware. Since then the remote controller losses contact with my Magic after a couple of seconds. It is impossible to flight it. Support wrote I have to send it for inspection probably repair. It is very annoying. Before update I did not have problem. Do have someone the same horrible experience?

I haven't been flying that much since the new firmware - dealing with...eh kidney stones - sorry, maybe TMI..this is total first for me
- OR the weather has been absolutely lousy. I tried to fly yesterday on my day off and suddenly these pop up torrential rain/storms came in out of nowhere.

Flight wise it's generally fine, no signal loss, no errors. The camera exposure seems to be jacked up, overexposed. Rebooting the app seems to fix that. I did have an issue with the RC, the (again) expose dial control simply not working. That was a first. Also had a SLIGHT drift to the left, I noticed this Thurs. night. I did an IMU and RC recalibration, I'll test it out today. Physically I finally feel a little better..but I'm not out of the woods yet. I just better take advantage of somewhat nice days and days when I feel ok.

I havent updated the DJI app yet. From what I see, I guess this is safe to load up, I haven't seen any issues affecting the MP.

So far, with 68 pilots reporting,

62% said they had no problems with the install, and the app has been working fine.
19% had problems with the installation, but finally got it working
10% tried it but it didnt work and went back to using previous versions
9% tried it and it bricked their poor Mavic

That says that 81% who tried it got it to work, despite some having setbacks in the process
19% of people who tried it, didnt get it to work
9% wish they hadnt tried it

I updated the firmware. Since then the remote controller losses contact with my Magic after a couple of seconds. It is impossible to flight it. Support wrote I have to send it for inspection probably repair. It is very annoying. Before update I did not have problem. Do have someone the same horrible experience?
I updaed with the new firmware and had a flyaway andn lost my Mavic in the ocean. I was flying just 500 feet away and controller lost connection completely and wouldn’t connect again..tried everythng as I see my Mavic fly fly fly away and because my warranty expired a few weeks ago...DJI wouldnt give me the time of day even though its their fault with a defective firmware update....I’ve never had this happen to me ever after 4 DJI products...Never again..

Had some very odd problems with my Mavic Air this evening. I was out in a fairly rural location and turned everything on, no issues, took off and flew out over the river around 90metres from where I was standing and got Signal Lost. I could see the drone right in front of me. I waited thinking the signal would recover but it didn't.
I tried ascending as I still appeared to have some control and it went up and just hovered, until it eventually seemed to respond to RTH and flew back overhead. I cancelled RTH- took it out again and immediately lost signal again. The Firmware update notice then appeared on screen- it had not previous to taking off.
I checked antennas were all fully connected and handset- all good, so RTH and landed manually. Checked the aerials were both extended on drone- I was sure they were but you never know.All good- took off again and flew 120 degrees from the previous course. Lost signal again at about 60metres. Returned. Checked wifi, almost no signals in the area and no interference reported.
Couldn't figure out issue but had lots of battery life so wondered if maybe app had updated and was now incompatible in some way with aircraft f/w. Risky I know but opted to do the f/w update there and then. Only seemed to take 5 mins tops. Reset everything, now reporting all up to date again, took off and more Signal Loss.
Not sure whats going on. Going to take the drone up the field in the morning here where I know I get no issues usually and see if it still has a problem or if its something localised to where I was flying. I also saw a video tonight on You Tube saying the correct app version is 4.2.22 but mines is 4.2.20 and I see no updates in the Google Play store and the app says up to date. First serious app/control issues I have had since I got the drone.
Hi,
I had the same problem. After FW Update the controller losses contact with my mavic air. I can not fly it anymore. Support said I have to send it to revision or repair. Big problem for me, because it was purchased in Germany and I live in Colombia. To send the mavic and controller to Germany cost over 250 US dollars. I do not understand and it is hard to accept this solution. Some recommedations for me?
Many thanks in advance.

Hi,
I had the same problem. After FW Update the controller losses contact with my mavic air. I can not fly it anymore. Support said I have to send it to revision or repair. Big problem for me, because it was purchased in Germany and I live in Colombia. To send the mavic and controller to Germany cost over 250 US dollars. I do not understand and it is hard to accept this solution. Some recommedations for me?
Many thanks in advance.

Ask them if they can give you a link to a FW that will allow you to reinstall FW that work prior to the latest. I've seen them done this before for several users that has the same issue.
Worth a try.

Really upsets me, DJI takes no responsibility for bad firmware , I wonder how many have lost their Mavics like me because of it...I wouldn’t fly with the new firmware until they fix the issue or as someone suggested, roll back if you can ...I’m mad as you know what ...DJI is no longer my favourite RC company....Maybe I’ll try the EVO...or get out of the industry completely since the governements want to take back their airspace...everyday it’s becoming almost impossible to fly anywhere legally..

Ask them if they can give you a link to a FW that will allow you to reinstall FW that work prior to the latest. I've seen them done this before for several users that has the same issue.
Worth a try.
Thank! I have already asked for a prior FW. Just wait what they answer to me.
Best regards