DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First attempt in color grading

ed1nh0

Reactions
This is the first time I shooted in D-Log.
I didn't know what this and others modes looks like and what for. Still don't know. Just followed some tutorials and try make some footage.
It was shooted in 2.7k @ 30fps.
Cam in manual, settings were +1,-2,-2 and did not use ND filter.
I did use a LUT in post, downloaded for free.
Just want to practice some cinematic urban style.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I know my english sucks. Apologies.
Thanks for taking time for watching.

Looking at the footage it appears that your shadows have lost all their detail and the image seems to be too dark overall. My guess is that the LUT pushes the contrast and saturation way up, which causes the loss of detail. Similarly many of the highlights are blown out - you might want to look at getting an ND filter to preserve your highlights.

I find that most of the LUTs are too stylized and require a lot of tweaking. I am not sure what program you are using, but if you want to improve the color grade then invest some time to learn how to do it all manually. It really isn't too hard and there's a bunch of clips on Youtube that provide help. I use DaVinci Resolve which is powerful, and free.

Best of luck.

Reactions: ed1nh0
Looking at the footage it appears that your shadows have lost all their detail and the image seems to be too dark overall. My guess is that the LUT pushes the contrast and saturation way up, which causes the loss of detail. Similarly many of the highlights are blown out - you might want to look at getting an ND filter to preserve your highlights.

I find that most of the LUTs are too stylized and require a lot of tweaking. I am not sure what program you are using, but if you want to improve the color grade then invest some time to learn how to do it all manually. It really isn't too hard and there's a bunch of clips on Youtube that provide help. I use DaVinci Resolve which is powerful, and free.

Best of luck.
Thank you.
I'll try to do some tweaking but I really don't know how to start. I'll look for more tutorials.
I'm using Premiere Pro CC because Davinci Resolve don't run ok on my PC due to a weak graphic card.
Thanks again for your time and feedback!

[Edit]
I have a set of Taco-RC ND filter but did not use this time.

I'm starting to think that my monitor is miscalibrated. Now I'm looking to the dark areas and I don't like them.
Thank you guys for your feedback.

I'm starting to think that my monitor is miscalibrated. Now I'm looking to the dark areas and I don't like them.
Thank you guys for your feedback.
Since every monitor type can display colors differently, I like the Lumetri Color Scopes pane in Premiere Pro when I am editing color. This way you can see how each color will be represented compared to all the other colors - this removes the monitor from the equation. If you bring up the histogram, you can also see where your whites and blacks fall and if they need corrected. I'm still learning, but I was having the same issue with my shadows losing detail until I started to realize that your shadows and blacks work together the same way your highlights and whites work together.

All and all, the video looked great!

Reactions: ed1nh0
Since every monitor type can display colors differently, I like the Lumetri Color Scopes pane in Premiere Pro when I am editing color. This way you can see how each color will be represented compared to all the other colors - this removes the monitor from the equation. If you bring up the histogram, you can also see where your whites and blacks fall and if they need corrected. I'm still learning, but I was having the same issue with my shadows losing detail until I started to realize that your shadows and blacks work together the same way your highlights and whites work together.

All and all, the video looked great!
Thank you so much for the input.
I'll look for some tutorials to guide me to do that right.

This is the first time I shooted in D-Log.
I didn't know what this and others modes looks like and what for. Still don't know. Just followed some tutorials and try make some footage.
It was shooted in 2.7k @ 30fps.
Cam in manual, settings were +1,-2,-2 and did not use ND filter.
I did use a LUT in post, downloaded for free.
Just want to practice some cinematic urban style.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I know my english sucks. Apologies.
Thanks for taking time for watching.
Slightly off topic but it looks like your gimble may need calibration as it looks like it's slightly pinching up to the top left of the screen.

Also why does everyone have a white car? Haha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato