DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Crash! (OMG my precious mavic turn into mavic kamikaze into moving traffic)

I've taken off from the bed of my truck at the beach before. I have a thick plastic bedliner. I've never had any problems doing this. But I don't do it very often either. And of course when I calibrate before my flight I always go away from my truck.

Accident waiting to happen...and so it did. I agree with previous comments.

1. Read the Mavic instruction manual, then read it again (and some)!
2. NEVER take off from an object with metal present in or very close to it...including cars, bridges, concrete with Rebar if known to be present. Take off from an open, grassy area free of any obstructions.
3. Try and stay clear of vehicles particularly moving vehicles that you could crash into and distract drivers that could lose control of said vehicle.
4. Not removing gimbal clamp prior to power up is just crazy and you were asking for mechanical failure now or at a future time. I have a piece of felt in the shape of a pointed flag to remind me to remove ALL clamps etc. prior to power up.
5. If prompted to update the firmware prior to flight and 'out in the field', forget that, it delays you. Update over wifi at your convenience. But then, I'm still using 600 and just enjoy flying with a stable firmware. Far too many updates with DJI hacking around with changes.

Fly safe.

Reactions: jeremynotlin
Jeremy, you need to do a lot of manual reading my friend, and even then you need to then read lots of important parts again (and again) to enable the brain to soak it all up
It's impossible to read the Mavic instructions once or twice and remember all the important stuff.

Oh and do this to your gimbal clamp.

5c0504ca14732b2f1770cf065305ff0a.jpg

You won't ever forget it's on again :)
Won't the ribbon get sucked into the props?

:)

If this is true don’t feel sorry for him. He got what he deserved, except being in jail and getting slapped with a hefty fine and civil liability.

Could not agree more. Most of us have made some kind of error as we learned to fly the Mavic. My issue with this guy is he made way too many and all at the same time. On the hood of car; near a highway; traffic near by; in a lot of trees; probably on government property. It is also one of the many examples that gives our hobby a bad name AND creates more places for the huge signs to be posted "NO Drone Flying". That is might cost him a few hundred dollars is unfortunate. He should be made an example.

Reactions: Mat999
So, havent recieved my mavic yet...whsts the deal with metal? Yes I'm educated about metal and compasses. messes the up badly. however it doesn't mess with gps or it logging a location. I've been flying a racing drone for years without compasses. If you don't use RTH or some other special flight mode seems like it shouldnt need one.
With RTH "seems like" it would fly from point A to B. It wouldn't matter which way it was facing. For all it cares you could fly home sideways or backwards and still land at spot B facing the wrong direction. I get it that some modes like heading hold "my old quad" obviously needs a compass for.

... in the same week some idiot in NY flew their drone into an army Blackhawk security copter...

1.I have landed on my car Roof ,plenty of times..Of course due to unwanted Dog attention. Lol.
2. I'm zipping up saying anything negative , it's all rather obvious.

Somewhere
... in the same week some idiot in NY flew their drone into an army Blackhawk security copter...

Somewhere in NY a Blackhawk
Helicopter was flying below 500 ft in a residential area and received damage from a hobby drone.
So much wrong going on .
I'm worried about the quality of the equipment our military personnel are using were a hobby drone can damage this expensive war machine while on a low altitude mission

it doesn't it doesn't seem like the Drone pilot was doing anything wrong if that you was flying under the recreational provision. Of course you can hear Blackhawk coming from a long ways away so perhaps you should have flown lower but I don't know if you heard it or not.

Hard to believe. But, if it's true, sounds like something the US Attorney might prosecute as felony reckless endangerment. Where did this happen again?
baaaaaa hahahahahahahahahaha... The US attorney would laugh you off the phone. In fact, they would think it was a prank. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

If this is true don’t feel sorry for him. He got what he deserved, except being in jail and getting slapped with a hefty fine and civil liability.
You guys are way off. There is no way in **** would get charged. No way! Was this an illustration of a complete lack of understanding of how what can cause magnetic interference.. YEP! Criminal... LOL! Civil liability!!! LOL... Good grief people.

Reactions: jeremynotlin
Tried to land into the back of my pickup, didn't go well. The ensuing battle of the Mavic yawing hard left then right was not fun. I got it high enough to just clip the side of the tuck and flip out onto the ground. Have never tried it again.

Reactions: m0j0
In reference to the gimbal clamp... I was thinking of painting mine red with Krylon plastic spray paint. Anyone tried this or think there would be an issue with doing so?

You guys are way off. There is no way in **** would get charged. ..

Did you read part where he said he heard car approaching so he took off hurriedly in national park and drone flew straight at windshield of approaching car? Sounds like friend got chuckle seeing the horrified look on drivers face who probably thought she was going to die.

...if my Mavic was a boy it is now a MEN without a doubt.

Please do share your constructive and rude comment at will

Almost smashing through windshield of oncoming car makes Mavic a man. I don't get it. Some of these comments have been harsh. But, were they not requested?

Woah, this thread is still alive with people thinking the OP either needs help or was even being truthful in the first place?

I thought it was too crazy to be true until OP expressed irritation at being treated harshly on only his second post. If it's made up, why would someone care?

Maybe it happened because you were flying in a national park.... just saying.

Jeremy, you need to do a lot of manual reading my friend, and even then you need to then read lots of important parts again (and again) to enable the brain to soak it all up
It's impossible to read the Mavic instructions once or twice and remember all the important stuff.

Oh and do this to your gimbal clamp.

5c0504ca14732b2f1770cf065305ff0a.jpg

You won't ever forget it's on again :)
Great idea, just like on the Big Boys. See from every disaster comes a lesson for some other guy. As soon as I hit post going to look for a nice piece of red cloth. LOL thanks. BTW flying drones in National Parks is not allowed.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Somewhere

Somewhere in NY a Blackhawk
Helicopter was flying below 500 ft in a residential area and received damage from a hobby drone.
So much wrong going on .
I'm worried about the quality of the equipment our military personnel are using were a hobby drone can damage this expensive war machine while on a low altitude mission
The report stated the Blackhawk was at 500 AGL which is 100 feet above where the UAV should be. And military aircraft are built stronger than civilian aircraft. This incident did not disable the Blackhawk, the UAV it flew into the Blackhawk and busted apart. There was slight non-disabling damage to the fuselage and two dents on the rotor that had to be replaced, part of rhe drone was found in the cowling of rhe Blackhawk. After landing, it was grounded until a safety inspection could be performed. Whether a hobbiest or 107, the UAV had no business being at that height, and it could have been much worse. Not positive, but there may have been a TFR that day because the UN meeting. If so the UAV should not have been in the air at any height.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamplighter55
Mavic on car hood or roof = compass issues! Also don't strap a cellphone to it either!
Compass is only for heading. After you take off that's the end of the metal influence.

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13