DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Crash! (OMG my precious mavic turn into mavic kamikaze into moving traffic)

Jeremy, you need to do a lot of manual reading my friend, and even then you need to then read lots of important parts again (and again) to enable the brain to soak it all up
It's impossible to read the Mavic instructions once or twice and remember all the important stuff.

Oh and do this to your gimbal clamp.

You won't ever forget it's on again :)

____________________________________________________________________________________
This is a great idea!
My sticker on the hood of my MP worked about twice and now the brain just fuzzes it out and I forget.

I'm definitely doing this ribbon thing. Blue not pink tho:cool:
View attachment 22504

upload_2017-9-30_22-31-23.png

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremynotlin
In reference to the gimbal clamp... I was thinking of painting mine red with Krylon plastic spray paint. Anyone tried this or think there would be an issue with doing so?

I think the problem with painting it is you usually don't turn the Mavic upside down in the usual course of preflight operations so you won't see it to be reminded.

The ribbon is a great idea because you can't miss it no matter what. I am going to give it a try because I tend to forget .....

Reactions: jeremynotlin
I had a first crash couple of weeks ago; hadn't flown in a long time like months and forgotten which stick controls elevation, forward... whatever.
Updated firmware, batteries all charged for tomorrow; but just felt like flying it at home in the kitchen.
Took off... pushed the wrong joystick... BAM... crashed into my Stickley chair (luckily that 1 has a cloth back) from about 2' height... it stopped.
Looked at it gingerly... checked the blades... seems ok.

LET'S TRY IT AGAIN!!!
BAMMMMMM, slam into the corner of the wall... hey it's just mudding... no problems...

ok... so I guess I should take it out to the yard even though it's cold...
Took off... hmmm... doesn't seem to hover in place... (I only move around at 5' now)
Managed to land.

Went back to the kitchen and did a detailed check... drats. 1 cracked propeller - replaced it from the pool of 4 spares.
Haven't flown it since... that will be tomorrow on an open field. HAHAHAHA.

btw on the Ops experience of the drone going towards oncoming traffic... sigh.

I had a first crash couple of weeks ago; hadn't flown in a long time like months and forgotten which stick controls elevation, forward... whatever.
Updated firmware, batteries all charged for tomorrow; but just felt like flying it at home in the kitchen.
Took off... pushed the wrong joystick... BAM... crashed into my Stickley chair (luckily that 1 has a cloth back) from about 2' height... it stopped.
Looked at it gingerly... checked the blades... seems ok.

LET'S TRY IT AGAIN!!!
BAMMMMMM, slam into the corner of the wall... hey it's just mudding... no problems...

ok... so I guess I should take it out to the yard even though it's cold...
Took off... hmmm... doesn't seem to hover in place... (I only move around at 5' now)
Managed to land.

Went back to the kitchen and did a detailed check... drats. 1 cracked propeller - replaced it from the pool of 4 spares.
Haven't flown it since... that will be tomorrow on an open field. HAHAHAHA.

btw on the Ops experience of the drone going towards oncoming traffic... sigh.

Spark flies pretty decently inside, but not so much the MP. The first time I tried, with the original stock FW, it had a major delay in the stick command and interpreting it, so it crashed. User error, FW, whatever the point is you should only fly inside if you are in a really, really, big room or atrium.

I remember flying my original P1 in the same room. For some reason, that seemed easier, but maybe because it was ATTI by default and we are so used to the MP controlling everything.

I wouldn't ever take off from a car, the mavic has too many sensors that metal can interfere with.
Wasn't thinking straight that's for sure...never again..I'll pawn it off next time when there is no flat surface around.

Reactions: JMF
I would like to take the time to point out all the things you did wrong to cause your crash, but I'm afraid I would break the Internet.
Break it down~
I'm so SO grateful to survived this crashed..it could of and would of be so much worst..no joke..but my precious Mavic only suffered from one minor scratch & get to share my Mavic horror story with all ya~

Jeremy, you need to do a lot of manual reading my friend, and even then you need to then read lots of important parts again (and again) to enable the brain to soak it all up
It's impossible to read the Mavic instructions once or twice and remember all the important stuff.

Oh and do this to your gimbal clamp.

5c0504ca14732b2f1770cf065305ff0a.jpg

You won't ever forget it's on again :)
looks Awesome~ I never finished a book in my life, words jump on me...haha

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Yes. The entire post is a what not to do scenario start to finish. Has to be a troll, right? (However, I'm sure the OP will probably try and convince us that he is indeed that foolish).
I love risky business, what can I say~ #true story

That makes a lot more sense that he’s just trolling. Lol
You are wrong.
I'm just glad I survived this! and hope no one will ever do what I did. and of course, I also enjoy all you guy's constructed and destructed criticism. keep them coming~

Accident waiting to happen...and so it did. I agree with previous comments.

1. Read the Mavic instruction manual, then read it again (and some)!
2. NEVER take off from an object with metal present in or very close to it...including cars, bridges, concrete with Rebar if known to be present. Take off from an open, grassy area free of any obstructions.
3. Try and stay clear of vehicles particularly moving vehicles that you could crash into and distract drivers that could lose control of said vehicle.
4. Not removing gimbal clamp prior to power up is just crazy and you were asking for mechanical failure now or at a future time. I have a piece of felt in the shape of a pointed flag to remind me to remove ALL clamps etc. prior to power up.
5. If prompted to update the firmware prior to flight and 'out in the field', forget that, it delays you. Update over wifi at your convenience. But then, I'm still using 600 and just enjoy flying with a stable firmware. Far too many updates with DJI hacking around with changes.

Fly safe.
Thank you, all point taken! Fly safe +1

Same here. I have already read the manual three times and each time I've picked up something new. There is so much to learn especially if you have never flown a drown or anything for that matter. I consider myself quite educated as a MSN, RN and this is a whole new adventure. Good luck!
some people read some people listen or watch and some people just do, whichever works best for is the way to go~ good luck you to as well

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13