DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Crash! (OMG my precious mavic turn into mavic kamikaze into moving traffic)

2. NEVER take off from an object with metal present in or very close to it...including cars, bridges, concrete with Rebar if known to be present. Take off from an open, grassy area free of any obstructions.
Well, I learned something from this thread. I guess I've been lucky to always be taking off from ground for the most part. I heard the warning about flying near metal objects (but I have flown near some without issue), but never knew you can't take off from a car hood! That was, honestly, in my list of take-off options if nothing else suitable was around.

Good thread. Sorry about the scare to the OP.

Reactions: jeremynotlin
Launching from a site where it's possible that ferrous metal is close is not a good idea. But, it's not always a problem. You can determine if it's going to be a problem by checking before launch to see if the red triangle heading indicator is consistent with the actual orientation of the AC.
triangle.jpg
This check is the single most effective method to prevent launch time fly aways. The red triangle heading indicator reflects what the AC thinks is Yaw. If it's incorrect then erratic flight, possibly a fly away, is almost guaranteed.

Hand launching is a good way to be clear of any geomagnetic distortion; just be sure to check the triangle heading indicator

1. someone in the car with me really irritates me I was soaked in his negative energy lol

2.Thus I pull over on the side of the road in the national park forest, very little to no car, 2-way traffic. (I need to set something FREE at this point, what better than my precious Mavic)

THIS is where you went wrong. You should have "set free" the someone in the car who was grinding your gears, not the innocent Mavic.

I have never been successful at launching the Mavic from ANY part of the car, not just the hood. The roof and trunk will give just as many compass errors as the hood. Only solid ground launches for my Mavic.

The steps towards my first crash. horrible 23 of my piloting experience.

1. someone in the car with me really irritates me I was soaked in his negative energy lol

2.Thus I pull over on the side of the road in the national park forest, very little to no car, 2-way traffic. (I need to set something FREE at this point, what better than my precious Mavic)

3.becuase of the rough terrain, for the first time I figure to use my car hood as the lift-off platform

4.I quickly assemble the Mavic on my car's hood; took of the main protected cover....but for the first time ever I forgot to remove the piece that is securing the gimble in place..you know that piece right.

5.I fire up the RC I can hear a car engine closing in about 20 seconds away. I lift-off Mavic from my car hood..it hover up 1/2 meter and immediately starts to fast bearing to the right clearly not where I want it to be, at this point the Mavic has gone kamikaze, I tried to fight it the RC, it's a tough battle, as the MAD MAVIC wanting to head up into the deep forest, I wanting it to come back towards me and land. 18 seconds into the battle, suddenly it shifts its trajectory towards the oncoming traffic.. at 45 degrees angle closing in on windshield level ..miss the car by 1.25 second to impact...it survived the forest slam and a smashing into a moving car windshield..by some miner scratched

Please do share your constructive and rude comment at will

ps. the person I'm with saw the whole thing, later told me that oncoming car driver had her mouth open...omg

Hard to believe. But, if it's true, sounds like something the US Attorney might prosecute as felony reckless endangerment. Where did this happen again?

Reactions: danman999
I'm Not going to pile on...That being said
Stress........... Stress is the Number one Killer of men.!
Please take care.
I've lost two Brothers to stress in the last Year
.......C

I think we have a drama queen in the house. Defo +1 on the trade in the drone for a kite idea though. I hear flying them near power lines in the rain is decent fun Thumbswayup

Reactions: m0j0
Yes Girly, but at least he wont be crying like a girl when he leaves it on again! HaHa! I'm going to get me one because every time I turn mine on I hit myself in the head and it's starting to hurt!
You got me convinced, I’m gonna get one too

You got me convinced, I’m gonna get one too
I just bought one of those lens hoods that have an integrated gimbal clamp. Works just as good, it's cheap, and you never have to worry about forgetting the plastic piece.

That OEM gimbal clamp is a pain in the butt. Easy to forget. Easy to lose. Fragile. What a poorly thought out solution all together. I really think it was only designed for original factory shipment and then they realized that it's best to leave it on for any transport. Hopefully the ship the Platinums out with a better designed clamp.

Reactions: Anders009
As a beginner this is is another useful tip for me picked up from the forum just by reading the problems, sorry about your mishap jeremy.

Same here. I have already read the manual three times and each time I've picked up something new. There is so much to learn especially if you have never flown a drown or anything for that matter. I consider myself quite educated as a MSN, RN and this is a whole new adventure. Good luck!

As a beginner this is is another useful tip for me picked up from the forum just by reading the problems, sorry about your mishap jeremy.
If this is true don’t feel sorry for him. He got what he deserved, except being in jail and getting slapped with a hefty fine and civil liability.

Reactions: audioguy
I just bought one of those lens hoods that have an integrated gimbal clamp. Works just as good, it's cheap, and you never have to worry about forgetting the plastic piece.

That OEM gimbal clamp is a pain in the butt. Easy to forget. Easy to lose. Fragile. What a poorly thought out solution all together. I really think it was only designed for original factory shipment and then they realized that it's best to leave it on for any transport. Hopefully the ship the Platinums out with a better designed clamp.
Thanks for the info, just ordered this one :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071...ds=Philonext+Transparent+Gimbal+HD+Lens+Cover

I once started from a parking lot and my Mavic did REALLY weird. Almost out of control. Was able to land without damage but with a huge heartbeat.
Then I found out that under my start place was a steel pipe. Totally ruined my sensors. I started 5 meters further... stable as a pool table.
Never start from a (metal) car

Last edited:
I once started from a parking lot and my Mavic did REALLY weird. Almost our of control. Was able to land without damage but with a huge heartbeat.
Then I found out that under mu start place was a steel pipe. Totally ruined my sensors. I started 5 meters further... stable as a pool table.
Never start from a (metal) car

I have only placed my MP or Spark on the roof of the car as a "holding" spot and each time it was an accident.

The Go app freaks with a major read bar that the compass has issues.. so if you took off at that point you are looking for problems, do not know what you are doing, or just do not care.

I always restarted after - just to be safe. But, even if this person is trolling, I do think it can help others learn from possible mistakes. The sad fact is, a lot of people do not read the manual and just jump into flying the MP.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav