DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight went well but Have a Couple Questions...

Dariof

Reactions
Today’s first flight went well. I flew on nothing but manual mode, did some figure 8’s, circles around me, high-speed passes and took a few pics. I used RTH to see how it works but cancelled in enroute home and kept flying. I even put it in sports mode for a little while and enjoyed flying the machine.

Questions:

1. The map on the iPad 4 located in the lower right hand corner the the DJI app does NOT have any map info. I realize I do not have wifi out on the flying field. Is there any way to populate this map with data?

2. The lower left hand corner of the DJI app has a round circle with “N” noted on the circle, a dot and the red drone symbol in the middle. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to interpret that data in entirety. I know “N” is North, but I don’t understand how that information is used to fly the drone back to me when it’s so far out and the orientation is hard to see. Is there some sort of tutorial or explanation?

Thanks again for all the help.

Today’s first flight went well. I flew on nothing but manual mode, did some figure 8’s, circles around me, high-speed passes and took a few pics. I used RTH to see how it works but cancelled in enroute home and kept flying. I even put it in sports mode for a little while and enjoyed flying the machine.

Questions:

1. The map on the iPad 4 located in the lower right hand corner the the DJI app does NOT have any map info. I realize I do not have wifi out on the flying field. Is there any way to populate this map with data?

2. The lower left hand corner of the DJI app has a round circle with “N” noted on the circle, a dot and the red drone symbol in the middle. I can’t for the life of me figure out how to interpret that data in entirety. I know “N” is North, but I don’t understand how that information is used to fly the drone back to me when it’s so far out and the orientation is hard to see. Is there some sort of tutorial or explanation?

you populate the map while your home and on wifi,just make sure to populate the area your flying in.

Using Go 4 you can download the offline map for your area; at least you can for Android. Once in Go 4 the map is available without a need for further WiFi/internet connection.

1. Use "Offline maps" with Google Maps. That's what I do, There is zero cell/wifi where I fly.
2. That tells you the orientation of the AC in relation to you with the little arrow pointy thingy.....
Hover the AC and rotate your controller/device Rotate yourself 90 degrees) and watch the little read arrow, then yaw the AC,
And you will see the relationship....

Questions:

If you tap on the map, in the lower right corner, it will open to full screen, in that display, check the "layer" selected on the top right of the display, pick Hybrid or satellite to get more details.

Using Go 4 you can download the offline map for your area; at least you can for Android. Once in Go 4 the map is available without a need for further WiFi/internet connection.
Let me clarify: In Google Maps, I select the offline map download option for an area of interest. Once I download it and then travel to that area, the map on my Go 4 app will be reflecting the map I downloaded automatically? Thanks

Here is correct Answer.
When you are at home and have your tablet connected to wifi, start Go4 app. When it opens, click on the three bars top right. Now on page that opens scroll down menu and select "ofline maps"
In the the next oage scroll your country then state/location and download the maps.
Once done you will have the maps when out flying even without Internet connection.

The bottom left circle is relatively to your location and Mavic.
On devices that have built in compasses the N will point to North. On any other device it will be at top. The Mavic is realivtive to your controller and the way you face. You do not need to worry about the N.
All you need to be concerned about is when you are at a distance you are the center of the circle and the red arrow is the Mavic and the direction it faces. When you rotate the Mavic and the red arrow points to the center of the circle the Mavic is flying directly at you.
So if you are 500 meters out, rotate Mavic till that arrow points to center if circle (which is you) and push forward on stick and Mavick will come to you.

Here is correct Answer.
When you are at home and have your tablet connected to wifi, start Go4 app. When it opens, click on the three bars top right. Now on page that opens scroll down menu and select "ofline maps"...
And if “offline maps” isn’t there?”

Attachments

• DC040387-59FA-4BCF-A3EA-E50BE652C43B.png
    DC040387-59FA-4BCF-A3EA-E50BE652C43B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 53
Here is correct Answer.
When you are at home and have your tablet connected to wifi, start Go4 app. When it opens, click on the three bars top right. Now on page that opens scroll down menu and select "ofline maps"
In the the next oage scroll your country then state/location and download the maps.
Once done you will have the maps when out flying even without Internet connection.

The bottom left circle is relatively to your location and Mavic.
On devices that have built in compasses the N will point to North. On any other device it will be at top. The Mavic is realivtive to your controller and the way you face. You do not need to worry about the N.
All you need to be concerned about is when you are at a distance you are the center of the circle and the red arrow is the Mavic and the direction it faces. When you rotate the Mavic and the red arrow points to the center of the circle the Mavic is flying directly at you.
So if you are 500 meters out, rotate Mavic till that arrow points to center if circle (which is you) and push forward on stick and Mavick will come to you.

Thank you. Now that I get it, I want to go and fly again.

You Android guys obviously didn't read the initial post. Dariof is using an iPad mini 4 iOS. Google Maps is not an option for him.

Open GO4 where on a WiFi connection, the map of the area you want to fly in will load. Leave the app open, go fly, it will be there when you reactive the GO4 app.

The lower left image is like a radar screen. Shows direction it is pointing and level of "wings" distance out for home point, etc.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Android: That means that you are on v4.18, DJI removed them, supposedly temporarily. Sideload 4.15 and you'll be fine.
The OP is using an iPad. Downloading Offline maps is not an option.

To the OP, you should be able to cache them, though, while connected to WiFi, scroll the maps to the area where you will be flying.

And if “offline maps” isn’t there?”

Then get Wunderphone with Go 4.1.15 and it will be there. :D

It's simple:

Apple - no offline maps, you can try to cache maps by previewing the map while on data connection, zooming in/out and praying that the cache won't expire when you need it or your desired zoom level was actually cached.

Android - yes offline maps (road only, though), but they temporary removed this item from menu in .18 due to some problems with HERE maps.

I was able to cache maps with my Mini 4 by scrolling through them while in the DJI app when on wifi. When I turned wifi off and shut down /restarted the Mini 4 and app, the cached maps were still there.

Another way, which I will also use, is use the wifi on my phone when out flying and create a hot spot.

Apple device always cache maps for any area you browse, you don’t need to specify it as do Android guys

Well, implementing "offline" maps by having the user mindlessly drag map around, zoom in and out, drag again, zoom in/out different area, rinse, repeat, without any feedback what actually has been cached and for how long is a terrible UX experience. Proper implementation, like on Go 4 on Android, and like many many map apps - HERE, MAPS.ME, Gaia GPS, just to name those I regularly use - is to let you select states/countries you want (or a rectangle) and just download them; they show the download progress, and they are available always, and you can even check for updates for them. But then again, I've never accused apple of having common sense or caring about users. :D

Well, implementing "offline" maps by having the user mindlessly drag map around, zoom in and out, drag again, zoom in/out different area, rinse, repeat, without any feedback what actually has been cached and for how long is a terrible UX experience. Proper implementation, like on Go 4 on Android, and like many many map apps - HERE, MAPS.ME, Gaia GPS, just to name those I regularly use - is to let you select states/countries you want (or a rectangle) and just download them; they show the download progress, and they are available always, and you can even check for updates for them. But then again, I've never accused apple of having common sense or caring about users. :D
isn there a way to d/l the whole state,i watched a vid of it.......somewhere

It's simple:

Apple - no offline maps, you can try to cache maps by previewing the map while on data connection, zooming in/out and praying that the cache won't expire when you need it or your desired zoom level was actually cached.

Android - yes offline maps (road only, though), but they temporary removed this item from menu in .18 due to some problems with HERE maps.

For Android, Open Go 4 (4.1.15), hit the 3 bars in upper right corner, select offline maps, select the map you need and download it.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ifish4bass