NEIST POINT isle of Skye
That's my yacht in background
came ashore flew bird
took some pics hope you like
landed bird
lady comes up to me real close
I'm on my knees putting stuff in a bag
Why do feel the need to do that .. she points at the drone
anyhoo long conversation with her taking no other opinion than I'm a huligan and should be put to jail.

I asked her really nicely several times to go away and explained the thing was on the ground and we are leaving in our boat.

Still she rants on and on and sorry chaps I [Language removed by Admin] lose it.
Told her [Language removed by Admin] and put it on Facebook.
Lady is now going mental
my Mrs steps up and explains to said lady she needs to go immediately
Lady storms away to me lossing it telling her get of my island
We left and continued to enjoy sailing round this fab island
Hope you don't meet her.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I will you I suspect ?
It sounds like this contact could only have been handled firmly as reasonable replies were not working. The hard part is not making firmness sound like threats if it isn’t working either.

i am not sticking up for the lady in your story,but in that part of Scotland most of the land is owned by the people living there,it might have been to your advantage to seek permission from the land owner before you had flown,as if you were as you say flying and landing on her property then technically you were trespassing she has probably had a bad experience,with drones before and has that mindset about them if you had taken off from your boat and flown over her property at a reasonable height then she would not have had anything to moan about

Very nice shots. The contrasts in the environment are nice.

I guess the question I have is; is that island public property?

I got yelled at by a pastor once when I stepped off the Blue Ridge Parkway to take stills of a gorgeous stone church that is perched atop a mountain looking over a serene valley. It never crossed my mind that I was trespassing on private property. I had some nieve belief that churches were open and the land some sort of public space. I totally understood the pastor's point of view once I reflected on the situation. Ever since I am acutely aware of ownership issues when I am out with my camera and will be even more so with the drone.

If it was her property then maybe if she'd explained that it was "her" private property then she may have got a better response from the OP
Perhaps. I typically choose not to engage with folks if the conversation is heading south, but that is neither here nor there. I'm not here to judge the reactions, just to learn from the experience.

At the end of the day, the images are pretty stunning and compelling and the area looks breathtaking.

Reactions: Captain Lou
My ratio is about 1:10 . One person out of ten wants to create a confrontation and tell me what the laws are. Some want to get physical which is crazy ! I am flying a drone for god sakes.

When I see them stomping up towards me I keep my bird in the air and point the camera at them and myself. Never land. They can kick your drone - throw it in the ocean and a whole host of other not so nice things.

Plus it occupies a hand to pick it up and hold it when that hand may be needed to defend oneself.

After I do that I make sure my pepper spray canister is well within reach and allow them to see that I am adjusting it.

Then I continually state " I dont answer questions" Over and over again in a firm tone that does not cause me to raise my voice. I let them vent and if they direct a question or want response from me I state " I dont answer questions"

Then I just stare blankly at them. People by and large cannot handle an emotionless blank stare for long. Their intent is to drag you into thier world of hate and I prefer to stay in my own world of gleeful flying. Why dip into thier world even for a second?

My ratio is about 1:10 . One person out of ten wants to create a confrontation and tell me what the laws are. Some want to get physical which is crazy ! I am flying a drone for god sakes.

When I see them stomping up towards me I keep my bird in the air and point the camera at them and myself. Never land. They can kick your drone - throw it in the ocean and a whole host of other not so nice things.

Plus it occupies a hand to pick it up and hold it when that hand may be needed to defend oneself.

After I do that I make sure my pepper spray canister is well within reach and allow them to see that I am adjusting it.

Then I continually state " I dont answer questions" Over and over again in a firm tone that does not cause me to raise my voice. I let them vent and if they direct a question or want response from me I state " I dont answer questions"

Then I just stare blankly at them. People by and large cannot handle an emotionless blank stare for long. Their intent is to drag you into thier world of hate and I prefer to stay in my own world of gleeful flying. Why dip into thier world even for a second?
I'd say that's my ratio too

I'd say that's my ratio too

that ratio is unacceptable. if you were eating lunch on a bench in the city park and 1 out of 10 people came up to you and harassed you for eating a sandwich out in public, how would you feel?

that number is too high and if it's going to get higher, we're in trouble.

I do most of my flying in areas requiring LAANC authorization, or at least a 107 (prior to the new recreational rules; haven't really bothered to look at how that might have changed things as far as where they can fly but I understand the 5-mile rule may have gone away). On the rare occasions (maybe 2 or 3) that someone's come up to me where I could tell they weren't happy, I managed to mention having FAA approval to fly in the first sentence or two, as casually as possible. "What are you doing here?" "Oh, flying my drone. Want to come look at the screen? You know, lots of people do it illegally around here [note: this is true where I fly], but I always make sure to get clearance from the FAA, which only licensed drone operators can get." Every time, that has diffused the situation.

Reactions: Chip D and AMann
@MACK AIR i take back my comments i misread your post thought it was her land and you were trespassing sorry

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato