DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly no longer supported on any iPad Minis!

I was thinking of purchasing the iPad mini 6 gen to use with my mavic 3 and mini 3 pro with the Mavic 3 RC N1 and DJI tablet mount. Am I right in thinking that I would need to get the cellular/GPS version otherwise the drones will loose GPS capability!? I thought these drones had GPS build in.

The Mini 4 was the current model for 4 years, longer than any other Apple mobile device. So long in fact that most pundits had been saying that the Mini line was discontinued. The A8 processor was the one found in the iPhone 6 and I don’t think many of us expect the Fly app to run on an iPhone 6 and being fair the year the Mini 4 was released the latest android offering was the Samsung Galaxy S6. Anyone here still flying on a Galaxy S6? Probably not I’d guess.

The Mini 4 while a good device in it’s day is a digital dinosaur. When I started flying commercially in 2017 there were already reports of it overheating when flying with GO4 and using a screen recorder at the same time so the writing was on the wall. I went with an iPad Gen 7 although it was a tad large for ease of use and when the Mini 5 arrived in 2019 I got that. For perspective it runs an A12 Bionic which you find in the iPhone XS and XR series and I’m pretty sure those devices are all still well up to the task. Last year I on sold the Mini 5 for a Mini 6 (A15 Bionic as in the iPhone 13 series) not for any other reason than I could claim it as a business expense and it looks good to the customer when you use the latest gear and of course a little future proofing is never a bad thing.

As far as Android vs Apple goes, I’m an an Android guy and have been since droid 2.1, I don’t like having anyone wall my garden but here’s the rub. Apple keep a far tighter fist around it’s app developers. Every app is tested across it’s line of devices and there is (more or less) only one unified operating system so if an app works on one device it works on them all. I know I’m playing a little loose with that statement but it’s generally how it works out. Apple makes sure it does.

Android is murkier on a few levels the first being that Android app developers are not anywhere near as closely audited before their apps make it to the PlayStore, more bugs make it through. The relationship between developers and Google is not the same as with Apple and the developers as evidenced by the fact that the PlayStore no longer carries the fly app due to a dispute.

Next issue is the fact that Android app developers work using a reference version of Android that virtually no manufacturer uses on the retail devices. Samsung, L.G. everyone even Google themselves just have to put their own skin on that reference Android to make their product stand out from the crowd and while it’s by no means a hard rule the small changes made can make the difference between how stably or well an app runs compared to on reference Android.

Then just to add another layer is the fact that Android harware manufacturers often vary the hardware specifications on their devices depending on where they are sold geographically and other factors so the exact same badged device for example may get an Exynos processor over a Snapdragon depending on where it was sold. The best example I remember was a particular year where there were 5 different hardware configurations of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A world wide and you guessed it, not all of them played nicely with the DJI app. You really need to be switched on to realise this, I have a bit of an advantage having qualified as a comms tech 40 years ago now.

So the upshot, once again slightly simplified but generally true is that there are but a handful of variations as far as hardware and operating system in the Apple ecosystem while there are dozens in the Android world.

So do the DJI apps work any better on Apple than Android? No, provided you get a fully compliant Android device. Companies like Tripltek do well because they generally stick to an older and much closer to reference version of Android and hardware that while still powerful enough for the job is generally a generation old and well understood.

I have the iPad Mini 6 as I said earlier, I also have a Tripltek. When I am flying for work I use the Tripltek. It’s brighter, fairly stable, robust on rough sites and simple. If I’m flying for fun however or doing artistic (well, as artistic as I get anyway) stuff for social media then usually I’m using the Mini 6 with a Hoodman.

Use what works for you but a little due diligence before buying is a must especially when choosing an Android device an honestly, regardless of who’s brand is on the outside a 7 years old design in a mobile device is like driving a 40 year old car. It’ll get you there if your requirements are modest but performance is going to be well lacking compared to this years model.

Regards
Ari

Is this a new development? I have used iPad Minis exclusively for the last few years with multiple DJI drones. I love the iPad Mini. It is the perfect size. It fit in my Mavic 2 Pro controller without an adapter and fits in my Air2s controller with a small adapter to extend the reach of the spring-loaded clamp. It has a really nice balance in the controller.

I originally bought the iPad Mini 4, which worked great until I got the DJI Mini 2, which uses the Fly app instead of the DJI Go 4 app. The Fly app is apparently more demanding on the mobile device, and I was getting a message occasionally that said something to the effect of, "Processor is fully loaded. Performance might... blah, blah." I was able to remedy this by shutting down all other apps and changing some settings in the iPad, but decided to upgrade to the iPad Mini 5 after reading that it worked much better.

The iPad Mini 5 worked fine, but I started to use it for editing photos and video, which worked great, but file transferring was not easy. Then the iPad Mini 6 came out with an even better processor and a USB C connection. Yay! Now I can use an external SSD or card reader to transfer photos and video. I also purchased an adapter that allows me to connect the iPad to an external monitor. When editing video with Lumafusion, I can have all the controls on the iPad and the video on the external monitor!

The Mini 4 was the current model for 4 years, longer than any other Apple mobile device. So long in fact that most pundits had been saying that the Mini line was discontinued. The A8 processor was the one found in the iPhone 6 and I don’t think many of us expect the Fly app to run on an iPhone 6 and being fair the year the Mini 4 was released the latest android offering was the Samsung Galaxy S6. Anyone here still flying on a Galaxy S6? Probably not I’d guess.

The Mini 4 while a good device in it’s day is a digital dinosaur. When I started flying commercially in 2017 there were already reports of it overheating when flying with GO4 and using a screen recorder at the same time so the writing was on the wall. I went with an iPad Gen 7 although it was a tad large for ease of use and when the Mini 5 arrived in 2019 I got that. For perspective it runs an A12 Bionic which you find in the iPhone XS and XR series and I’m pretty sure those devices are all still well up to the task. Last year I on sold the Mini 5 for a Mini 6 (A15 Bionic as in the iPhone 13 series) not for any other reason than I could claim it as a business expense and it looks good to the customer when you use the latest gear and of course a little future proofing is never a bad thing.

As far as Android vs Apple goes, I’m an an Android guy and have been since droid 2.1, I don’t like having anyone wall my garden but here’s the rub. Apple keep a far tighter fist around it’s app developers. Every app is tested across it’s line of devices and there is (more or less) only one unified operating system so if an app works on one device it works on them all. I know I’m playing a little loose with that statement but it’s generally how it works out. Apple makes sure it does.

Android is murkier on a few levels the first being that Android app developers are not anywhere near as closely audited before their apps make it to the PlayStore, more bugs make it through. The relationship between developers and Google is not the same as with Apple and the developers as evidenced by the fact that the PlayStore no longer carries the fly app due to a dispute.

Next issue is the fact that Android app developers work using a reference version of Android that virtually no manufacturer uses on the retail devices. Samsung, L.G. everyone even Google themselves just have to put their own skin on that reference Android to make their product stand out from the crowd and while it’s by no means a hard rule the small changes made can make the difference between how stably or well an app runs compared to on reference Android.

Then just to add another layer is the fact that Android harware manufacturers often vary the hardware specifications on their devices depending on where they are sold geographically and other factors so the exact same badged device for example may get an Exynos processor over a Snapdragon depending on where it was sold. The best example I remember was a particular year where there were 5 different hardware configurations of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A world wide and you guessed it, not all of them played nicely with the DJI app. You really need to be switched on to realise this, I have a bit of an advantage having qualified as a comms tech 40 years ago now.

So the upshot, once again slightly simplified but generally true is that there are but a handful of variations as far as hardware and operating system in the Apple ecosystem while there are dozens in the Android world.

So do the DJI apps work any better on Apple than Android? No, provided you get a fully compliant Android device. Companies like Tripltek do well because they generally stick to an older and much closer to reference version of Android and hardware that while still powerful enough for the job is generally a generation old and well understood.

I have the iPad Mini 6 as I said earlier, I also have a Tripltek. When I am flying for work I use the Tripltek. It’s brighter, fairly stable, robust on rough sites and simple. If I’m flying for fun however or doing artistic (well, as artistic as I get anyway) stuff for social media then usually I’m using the Mini 6 with a Hoodman.

Use what works for you but a little due diligence before buying is a must especially when choosing an Android device an honestly, regardless of who’s brand is on the outside a 7 years old design in a mobile device is like driving a 40 year old car. It’ll get you there if your requirements are modest but performance is going to be well lacking compared to this years model.

Regards
Ari
Ari, one huge update to the iPad Mini 6 is the USB C port! Between that and the A15 chip, I love it. It renders video faster than my Macbook Pro or my hopped up Dell.

Ari, one huge update to the iPad Mini 6 is the USB C port! Between that and the A15 chip, I love it. It renders video faster than my Macbook Pro or my hopped up Dell.
For sure! It’s so much easier only needing the one cable for both the Mini and the Tripltek as well.

When editing video with Lumafusion, I can have all the controls on the iPad and the video on the external monitor!
Lumafusion is awesome. I do my final video editing at home using Premier Pro but having Lumafusion means I can quickly knock something out when I’m out on the job site to leave with the customer in the interim. I can see many people being able to meet all their editing needs with it and you’re right in that the USB-C and A15 on the Mini 6 makes it a pretty quick workflow.

Lumafusion is awesome. I do my final video editing at home using Premier Pro but having Lumafusion means I can quickly knock something out when I’m out on the job site to leave with the customer in the interim. I can see many people being able to meet all their editing needs with it and you’re right in that the USB-C and A15 on the Mini 6 makes it a pretty quick workflow.
I just wish Lumafusion had speed ramping. You can build it manually, but it's a lot of moves. Maybe in a future version...!

So looks like iPad mini 6 is the way to go, until DJI make another alteration to the Fly app which will probably render that useless as they did the Mini 4!
More expense which is beyond my budget😩
Stick with the old XR iPhone.

I'm also an Ipad Mini 6 user, connected to the controller with Pgytech adapter...had to also purchase a longer cord than what's provided with Air 2S. In fact, I purchased the Mini 6 specifically to use with my drone and haven't had any problems. Understand the Ipad mini is cellular + wifi. I get numerous geo sat connections and have 5g speeds way the hell out here in the bean fields of rural Illinois...works flawlessly. Good luck.

Regards
Ari
Thanks Ari, great insight into the murky world of tablets.
What really doesn't help my general confusion in which way to go is DJI saying that OS15 and above is a no-no for the FLY app but loads of people on here and other forums saying that it works perfectly well.
If, and at the moment it is a big IF financially, I go the iPad mini 6 route I am very fearful that in a few months time DJI will make another change to the app and it, along with the Mini 3 and Mini 4 will become useless. I only want something to fly my Mini 2 with, nothing else.
Maybe invest in Litchi, or some other app, and get away from the Fly all together. I just feel safer with Fly as it comes from the same house as the drone.

When I first got my Mavic Air 2, I realized that I couldn't see the phone very well and could not use my Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet. So, I purchased a Mini 2 and had all sorts of issues related to the CPU ......
I sold the 2 and purchased a 4, it was better, but the dreaded overload CPU kept coming up,..... Sold that one also and purchased the Mini 5 .
I have been using it for a year with no issues and I update the IOS whenever there is one available, I'm sure I am on 15.5 (Just Checked).
Recently, after updating the firmware in the drone, if I get too close to something the Fly app starts repeating " Automatic Avoidance" and even when I back off it doesn't stop. Everything works OK but it is annoying, and the only solution is to land and restart the app and the drone. I haven't tried to just turn off the obstacle avoidance momentarily during the flight, or switch to sport mode to do the same.
I'm flying a job today if it occurs, I'll try the above.

When I first got my Mavic Air 2, I realized that I couldn't see the phone very well and could not use my Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet. So, I purchased a Mini 2 and had all sorts of issues related to the CPU ......
I sold the 2 and purchased a 4, it was better, but the dreaded overload CPU kept coming up,..... Sold that one also and purchased the Mini 5 .
I have been using it for a year with no issues and I update the IOS whenever there is one available, I'm sure I am on 15.5 (Just Checked).
Recently, after updating the firmware in the drone, if I get too close to something the Fly app starts repeating " Automatic Avoidance" and even when I back off it doesn't stop. Everything works OK but it is annoying, and the only solution is to land and restart the app and the drone. I haven't tried to just turn off the obstacle avoidance momentarily during the flight, or switch to sport mode to do the same.
I'm flying a job today if it occurs, I'll try the above.
Very interesting, thanks. Maybe the Mini 5 (a lot cheaper than the 6) will do just fine for my Mini 2 drone 😉

FYI I had a commercial job this morning and I flew for about an hour. I did notice changes when I opened my FLY app but I had no issues. At no time did I fly close enough to activate the avoidance sensors. Everything worked well. I am running 15.5 and thanks to this thread Im not upgrading any time soon.

Reactions: cheddar-man
I suspect the next model of drone won't have any phone or ipad compatibility. Just purchased the RC Controller for my Mavic 3 (the RC-N1 had function buttons missing) that came with the built in screen. But was using a Mini 5 on my m3 and a Mavic 2, and Mini 1..... I much prefer the larger screen size of my Mini 5, but it's obvious that DJI are moving to controllers with inbuilt screen.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_