DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly no longer supported on any iPad Minis!

I have DJI Mini 2 and Air 2S...my iPad Mini 5 still works great on both of them. But I will take this as a sign NOT to update the firmware on either one from now on or the controllers. There haven't been any good new features for us to use in a while anyway. Just more DJI protection.

I bought a Mini 4 a month ago just to fly my Mini 2 but kept getting this error message and sometimes it just quit so it's gone back to the seller.
It is this that made me contact DJI in the first place as this iPad was on their approved list until recently!

View attachment 153390
I used to get that warning all the time with my iPad Mini 4 on my Air 2S and sometimes on Mini 2 also. Since I got the iPad Mini 5th generation, never again.

Having tried several iPad Minis and talking to DJI Support because of their failures, they have finally come back and said that they do not support any of the iPad Minis, only those in the list below copied from their email!
Very annoying as I find the full sized iPads far too big, make the controller very top heavy!
I do not want to go over to Android.

View attachment 153389
WOW ... that's a giant bummer. I have been flying with my iPad Mini 6 gen for about a year now. It was better than my phone as it didn't dim as fast.

I guess I need to find a new tablet or maybe just buy the RC Pro.

I replaced my Mini 5 with a Mini 6, when the Fly app exceeded the capabilities of the Mini 5 processor. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the Mini 6 barely breaks a sweat. The form factor and the low weight are positive attributes as well.
I fly with the Mini 6 and so far have not had a problem. I am hoping it stays this way as I am not at all looking forward to finding a new tablet to fly with.

Maybe one has to look at an alternative App to fly with, that DJI support (problem) and that isn't so hungry?
There's no need for that.
A tablet will either work or not and your Mini 6 will work just fine.
Whether DJI has it on a list or not is irrelevant.
Stop worrying about it.

I fly a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro with an iPad Mini Gen 6 and have never had a problem. It is my favorite tablet so far having used a larger iPad Air Gen 3 and the unfortunate investment in a Tripltek 7.

I fly a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 Pro with an iPad Mini Gen 6 and have never had a problem. It is my favorite tablet so far having used a larger iPad Air Gen 3 and the unfortunate investment in a Tripltek 7.
I am also using a iPad Mini 6 and have had zero issues, other that the tablet overheating in the sun during the brutal summer that we have had in Dallas this year. I am curious about your Tripltek 7 comments as I have thought about going to a TRIPLTEK 8 because of it's 1200 nit display.

I am also using a iPad Mini 6 and have had zero issues, other that the tablet overheating in the sun during the brutal summer that we have had in Dallas this year. I am curious about your Tripltek 7 comments as I have thought about going to a TRIPLTEK 8 because of it's 1200 nit display.
I too have a Mini 6 which I cannot fault. I also have a Tripltek Pro 7”. The first one had a fault on arrival but the replacement however has been without technical issues and is satisfactory. I do not have any problem that the first Tripltek arrived with an issue, it happens with any item from time to time. I am however deeply disappointed with the company’s support division’s response and ongoing (lack of) support for the model. I would expand however the last time I did my comments were deleted and the thread was closed so I will refrain.

I use both devices extensively in commercial operations. Ergonomically I have a slight bias towards the iPad mini and where possible I use it with a Hoodman but there are situations such as at sea where it is simpler to use the Tripltek without the extra weight of the hood. I will continue to use the Tripltek as long as it is relevant but doubt I would upgrade it to a newer model.

Regards
Ari

More often than not there will be other not-tested, not-supported options that will work perfectly fine.
I am one of those flyers with an untested and non-supported devices. I use a 2017 Galaxy S2 Tablet (8" screen, 3 GB Ram, 32 GB Storage, Android 7.0) and it works perfectly but I expect that to change anytime the Fly App is updated in the future soon. Last year, Norton 360 Anti-Virus, stopped supporting any device running less than Android 8.0…

I also have a Galaxy A8 (10" Screen, 4 BG Ram, 64 GB Storage, Android 11.0) and it works great, but and that's a BIG BUT, it's heavy, about a 1.3 pounds and although I like the larger image, I do not like the extra weight, since the tablet is mounted above the controller, it has a tendency to "roll over"… I've tried a neck strap but flying does not feel right… When I flew fixed wing RC aircraft, it was fine as I was always looking at the acft, and knew by feel where all the controls were, not so with the drone, camera settings, gimbal angles, etc…

Rumour has it im getting an iPad mini 6 for my 84th😎😎😎
If that doesn't work I'll sell the Mini 2 and get something that uses a different control app, so there!
Works fine for me.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I also have a Galaxy A8 (10" Screen, 4 BG Ram, 64 GB Storage, Android 11.0) and it works great, but and that's a BIG BUT, it's heavy, about a 1.3 pounds and although I like the larger image, I do not like the extra weight, since the tablet is mounted above the controller, it has a tendency to "roll over"… I've tried a neck strap but flying does not feel right… When I flew fixed wing RC aircraft, it was fine as I was always looking at the acft, and knew by feel where all the controls were, not so with the drone, camera settings, gimbal angles, etc…
Is this the tablet mount you are using? Quite like the idea of the screen right there............

Got this one free from DJI over the issue of my problems with the iPad mini 4.

IMG_0334.jpegIMG_0337.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this the tablet mount you are using? Quite like the idea of the screen right there
No, it is not the Bracket I am using…

Don't laugh, if you do, I'll know, your Avatar Photo's face will blush and I'll know, and if my Little Mini 2 thinks you are laughing at her; well, let's just say, nobody laughed at Clint's mule for long…

Ok, after reviewing the photos of your tablet holder and mount, I think we have a disconnect… If we both were building rockets to fly to the Moon, I think yours would be very similar to NASA's Artemis Rocket; while mine would be more like Wile E Coyote's Acme Rocket…

rocket.png

Now, remember, don't laugh! But first, you need to know some background. I grew up in Upstate New York State, in the Adirondack Mountains, on the Schroon River, in a log cabin, and I was 7-years old before we got electricity and even older before we got indoor plumbing… I grew up with the adage, "Make due, or do without…" So, rather than do without, I often, "Make Do…"

After reading many different reviews on various tablet mounts and seeing complaints that the mounts themselves were heavy, they were cumbersome, they did not hold the tablet securely, or they covered up the controls so much you were playing "blind-man's bluff" trying to find the function button, the RTH button, etc... And then there is the shape, size, and weight that made a one-handed hold difficult when you tried changing the settings in the App on the screen.

So, it is with Humble Humility, I present, the "LoudThunder Holder"…

It is made from 1/4" thick Plexiglas. I cut a piece 1/2" by 10" long and I sanded the side down (on a belt sander) so one end is just narrow enough to slide in between the Antenna Arms of the Controller.

The shape, like a funky "S" is made to make the most contact on the Black Bracket on the Antenna and the other end is about 5/8" diameter (used a wooden dowel) so that it would loop over the A8 with the book case still attached.

I've photographed the bracket on 1/4" graph paper with a 6" ruler next to it in case someone whats to make one for themselves. No Royalty Necessary… just pay it forward…

Wrapping the USB-C wire as such has not cause any noticeable signal loss. And as for my Galaxy S2 with the 8" screen, it's bracket is just a shorter version… And to answer the weight issue, the large bracket for the A8 weighs 5-grams and if I were to attach it to my Mini 2, she would still weigh less than 250 grams…

1.png2.png3.png4.png5.png6.png

And as they say, "That's all folks..."

No, it is not the Bracket I am using…

Don't laugh, if you do, I'll know, your Avatar Photo's face will blush and I'll know, and if my Little Mini 2 thinks you are laughing at her; well, let's just say, nobody laughed at Clint's mule for long…

Ok, after reviewing the photos of your tablet holder and mount, I think we have a disconnect… If we both were building rockets to fly to the Moon, I think yours would be very similar to NASA's Artemis Rocket; while mine would be more like Wile E Coyote's Acme Rocket…

View attachment 154214

Now, remember, don't laugh! But first, you need to know some background. I grew up in Upstate New York State, in the Adirondack Mountains, on the Schroon River, in a log cabin, and I was 7-years old before we got electricity and even older before we got indoor plumbing… I grew up with the adage, "Make due, or do without…" So, rather than do without, I often, "Make Do…"

After reading many different reviews on various tablet mounts and seeing complaints that the mounts themselves were heavy, they were cumbersome, they did not hold the tablet securely, or they covered up the controls so much you were playing "blind-man's bluff" trying to find the function button, the RTH button, etc... And then there is the shape, size, and weight that made a one-handed hold difficult when you tried changing the settings in the App on the screen.

So, it is with Humble Humility, I present, the "LoudThunder Holder"…

It is made from 1/4" thick Plexiglas. I cut a piece 1/2" by 10" long and I sanded the side down (on a belt sander) so one end is just narrow enough to slide in between the Antenna Arms of the Controller.

The shape, like a funky "S" is made to make the most contact on the Black Bracket on the Antenna and the other end is about 5/8" diameter (used a wooden dowel) so that it would loop over the A8 with the book case still attached.

I've photographed the bracket on 1/4" graph paper with a 6" ruler next to it in case someone whats to make one for themselves. No Royalty Necessary… just pay it forward…

Wrapping the USB-C wire as such has not cause any noticeable signal loss. And as for my Galaxy S2 with the 8" screen, it's bracket is just a shorter version… And to answer the weight issue, the large bracket for the A8 weighs 5-grams and if I were to attach it to my Mini 2, she would still weigh less than 250 grams…

View attachment 154215View attachment 154216View attachment 154217View attachment 154218View attachment 154219View attachment 154220

And as they say, "That's all folks..."
Looks great

Reactions: LoudThunder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest