DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly with confidence

Akademik

Reactions
I am a new pilot. I saw a few videos and was very excited about piloting until I bought the Mavic Air. I've been up a few times to 200ft. which feels like im close to the moon. I am ready to explore a little but I can't get past the fear of using just the screen to pilot with. I don't know who can see this little craft past 900ft.. What did you do to get past your fear of crashing or losing it?

After i crashed a few Phantoms i got used to it . :)
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. I fly a Mavic Air and continue enjoy many flights. Fly close by within your line of sight and as your confidence builds increase your distance. You will find alot of support and good information on this forum. We look forward to seeing your part of the world.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum.
Now this is just me and my preferences but I am perfectly happy with flying 200-300 feet.
Anything more than that and objects on the ground, when shooting video at least, lose their perception and they get to be just dots.
Or at my age, blurry dots.

Like folks stated; practice makes perfect (or almost), but most of all confidence in the technology. I fly both a Mavic Air and a Mavic Pro Platinum. Some advice; even as you fly more and more, the tendency may be to 'cut corners' on pre-flight and other aspects of flying. Don't let that happen.

Also, do some research on 'finding my drone'. Practice this in a controlled environment and once you are comfortable that you can actually find a lost bird you will get even more confident.

Just practice and you will get over this hurdle; we all have been thru this.

Good luck!

Welcome. I flew rc gliders for years and bought a MM in dec. Still haven't got past using the screen only part much. I would suggest not to fly higher than what you're comfortable with (I know obvious statement) maybe setting your height and distance limit as a warning. Fly VLOS. Several suggestions I've tried to follow is flying lower, flying closer, not worrying about taking pictures, practicing flying figure 8'S moving both sticks in sync to bank like a rc airplane. Ok maybe not that one until later. To try relaxing and taking time to setup and pre fight. Flying until you're bored and moving it up a notch. Don't let the stability factor of the drone fool you, there are many ways to mess up. Also make sure you have a program for wind warnings such as UAV forecast, it will save your drone.
Have fun.
PS
I would not suggest exploring until much, much later (my opinion) What I've found is you must be very familiar with all the controls and features of the map and know where you are and where you're pointing before you depend on the screen.

Last edited:
I am a new pilot. I saw a few videos and was very excited about piloting until I bought the Mavic Air. I've been up a few times to 200ft. which feels like im close to the moon. I am ready to explore a little but I can't get past the fear of using just the screen to pilot with. I don't know who can see this little craft past 900ft.. What did you do to get past your fear of crashing or losing it?
Fear is good. Especially if it motivates you to use care and learn more.

And you should not fly with the screen at this point in your career. You should keep your drone in sight and watch the drone while you fly it.

The best idea try to find a wide open space and practice learning to control the drone. Notice that you’re turning radius is not what you might expect it to be.

Then Will come the most dangerous time when you get your first level of confidence which soon becomes overconfidence.

Stay away from trees Stay away from trees stay away from trees.

You should stay away from trees Powerlines and any other objects.

@Akademik to fly successfully and keep your drone in one piece,requires practice to master the controls and all people have differing levels of aptitude when they begin
the main thing is to learn at your own pace take your time to master the controls doing repetitive manoeuvres till you master the reaction you get from the input you make to the control sticks
over time you will get confident, and you will do things without having to think what the drones reaction will be
you can then think about pics and video ,dont forget there is a great deal of info on the app screen to guide you and inform you of what the drone is doing
learn how to interpret that info and understand how that info influences what you need to be doing at any point in your flight
once you have mastered all of this, thats when you really get to enjoy your drone ,and aside from the actual flying, learn about maintaining your drone, and looking after the batteries
good luck with your new hobby and stay safe

So I went out to the course for some practice and low and behold the dreaded red light warning. Something about the motor control check propellers. I'm thinking, see here we go I put the MAS stealth on there, set the proper gain based on the card and now I'm about to crash it. At least it's somewhere I am aware of and can walk to if it goes down. My question is why it the motor control a tip but the interference a warning? Shouldn't both be a "come home asap"?
Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 1.04.05 PM.png
PS. Farthest flight yer ! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Confidence comes with practice and trusting you Mavic Air will do what you tell it to (and won't do things you don't LOL)
Enjoy your new Mavic Air, Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998