DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying for fun under 107

Ace79

Reactions
I am sure this has been asked 100 times so I apologize for it, but I could not find the exact answer I was looking for. I hold my 107 certification, but like anyone here I like to fly for fun as well.

I know I am still allowed to fly for fun, but am I allowed to use my 107 perks to fly for fun? I am not sure if these two situations are not allowed to overlap. For example, I want to fly for fun but I am a mile outside an airport, could I still use LAANC to fly here?

Thanks in advance.

I am sure this has been asked 100 times so I apologize for it, but I could not find the exact answer I was looking for. I hold my 107 certification, but like anyone here I like to fly for fun as well.

I know I am still allowed to fly for fun, but am I allowed to use my 107 perks to fly for fun? I am not sure if these two situations are not allowed to overlap. For example, I want to fly for fun but I am a mile outside an airport, could I still use LAANC to fly here?

Thanks in advance.

Part 101 is an exemption from Part 107, which is the default law on sUAS operations. You are entitled to fly under Part 107 any time you choose to. You don't even have to claim not to be having any fun while doing it.

Reactions: rfc and Ace79
In addition to what @sar104 stated:

You can NOT combine/mix 101/107 rules & regulations. If you initiate flight under one set of rules the entire flight must be completed following those regs.

For instance you couldn't get around the "Airspace Authorization" by taking off within 5 miles of an airport with a simple "ATC notification" and then fly the flight for Part 107 operations.

Reactions: Ace79 and sar104
In addition to what @sar104 stated:

You can NOT combine/mix 101/107 rules & regulations. If you initiate flight under one set of rules the entire flight must be completed following those regs.

For instance you couldn't get around the "Airspace Authorization" by taking off within 5 miles of an airport with a simple "ATC notification" and then fly the flight for Part 107 operations.

Agreed - I should have added that you cannot change status mid-flight.

Reactions: BigAl07
Part 101 is an exemption from Part 107, which is the default law on sUAS operations. You are entitled to fly under Part 107 any time you choose to. You don't even have to claim not to be having any fun while doing it.

Haha well thank you. I always have fun flying it no matter the reason!

The reason I asked this specific question is because I am going to North Carolina for a little trip in two weeks. I want to bring my drone, but did a bit of research and see that in North Carolina you need to pass a state UAS test to fly commercially. So basically I want to be able to fly for fun while using some of the perks of my 107, but cannot take a NC state administered UAS test.

The reason I asked this specific question is because I am going to North Carolina for a little trip in two weeks. I want to bring my drone, but did a bit of research and see that in North Carolina you need to pass a state UAS test to fly commercially. So basically I want to be able to fly for fun while using some of the perks of my 107, but cannot take a NC state administered UAS test.

That test is ridiculously easy to take and pass but you can't mix & match the regs regardless of what state you're flying in.

That's an interesting complication, and I don't know the answer in NC (but I'll bet that @BigAl07 does). Flying under Part 107 is not, necessarily, commercial, but whether NC recognizes that subtlety is a different matter.

That test is ridiculously easy to take and pass but you can't mix & match the regs regardless of what state you're flying in.
I am sure I could pass the NC test, seeing as I passed the general 107 test. But I imagine I would have to schedule this and take it at an authorized testing location?

That's an interesting complication, and I don't know the answer in NC (but I'll bet that @BigAl07 does). Flying under Part 107 is not, necessarily, commercial, but whether NC recognizes that subtlety is a different matter.

They duplicate FAA regulations and interpretations exactly. We aren't called "First in Flight" for nothing LOL. If it's not hobby or Public Use it's Part 107 all day every day.

Reactions: sar104

But it is an interesting question. You can fly Part 107 without it being a commercial operation. How does NC law deal with that? Or does the law specify that a test is required for all non-hobby UAV flight?

EDIT: already answered - non-hobby flights require the test.

I am sure I could pass the NC test, seeing as I passed the general 107 test. But I imagine I would have to schedule this and take it at an authorized testing location?
Negative. It's an online test and it's FREE. This link
>>>> HERE <<<<< will get you going in the right direction.

Reactions: sar104
Oh that's awesome! That solves everything for me!

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it!

Keep in mind we have a LOT of NPS land in NC and you don't want to be caught (at the time or later on video) flying your sUAS from NPS land. It's just not worth it IMHO.

Reactions: Ace79
Yeah I am going to the Outer Banks which is almost entirely NPS which is unfortunate, however I looked at the maps and found a couple of sweet spots that are out of NPS control. I won't fly in NPS because I don't want to get in trouble and I genuinely care about the drone community and being responsible is the only way they don't clamp down on us any harder.

Yeah I am going to the Outer Banks which is almost entirely NPS which is unfortunate, however I looked at the maps and found a couple of sweet spots that are out of NPS control. I won't fly in NPS because I don't want to get in trouble and I genuinely care about the drone community and being responsible is the only way they don't clamp down on us any harder.

I want to personally THANK YOU for being a responsible and ethical sUAS Operator. You ROCK!

I found nc regulations to be so onerous that I chose to not bring my mavic for the week i was there.

My state of Michigan is the exact opposite as you can fly pretty much anywhere the faa allows.

I found nc regulations to be so onerous that I chose to not bring my mavic for the week i was there.

My state of Michigan is the exact opposite as you can fly pretty much anywhere the faa allows.

Yeah NC seems like they really buckle down on drones. Luckily Ohio isn't too bad either, pretty much just need to follow FAA guidelines.

I'm not sure what "onerous" regulations you're speaking of in NC. They simply mimic the FAA's regulations and what many other states do. Maybe I've missed something?

Reactions: beachcombing
I'm not sure what "onerous" regulations you're speaking of in NC. They simply mimic the FAA's regulations and what many other states do. Maybe I've missed something?
Yep. After reading this thread yesterday, I went to the NCDOT site, downloaded the "study guide", created an account, took and passed the test, and obtained a permit in less than an hour. All free. Fairly simple and straightforward. Not at all "onerous", although the whole thing seems unncessary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7