DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in the rain

Jack43

Reactions
Hi all,
recently I was a little bit bored. I had a crazy idea...I always have crazy ideas when I´m bored :cool: I wantet to get my mini "rainproof" I used adhesive tape and some transparent film. I cut out four tiny discs and mounted them underneath the propellers to protect the motors. I did a short test flight - there was just dizzle and the mini flew perfectly Thumbswayup As long as the rain falls vertically even the camera lens is protected!:)
Sorry if my english is not perfect,:rolleyes: I´m a Swissman living in Germany!

cheers Paul

Last edited:
Reactions: scro
Now to see if it can survive in heavy rain, and windier conditions. :)

Was this any inspiration? Home

Reactions: dawgpilot
hi scro,
well I think it can survive even in heavy rain when the is no win and the rain falls vertically!
The inspiration? well just for fun ;)
Thanks for the interesting Link!
cheers Paul

That might help with the "uncommanded descent" issue too. Looks like a winner to me!?

Reactions: Mikey's
To the OP, it would perhaps be interesting to check the temperature of the motors after, if possible, identical flights with and without their 'rain coats'.
My concern is that rain coats may block prop wash etc. ventilation flowing through the motor cores. I do not know if the motors are designed with such a flow in mind.

Reactions: Blakey01
Hi all,
recently I was a little bit bored. I had a crazy idea...I always have crazy ideas when I´m bored :cool: I wantet to get my mini "rainproof" I used adhesive tape and some transparent film. I cut out four tiny discs and mounted them underneath the propellers to protect the motors. I did a short test flight - there was just dizzle and the mini flew perfectly Thumbswayup As long as the rain falls vertically even the camera lens is protected!:)
Sorry if my english is not perfect,:rolleyes: I´m a Swissman living in Germany!

cheers Paul

I can probably run outside with my laptop real quick for a minute in a drizzle, and it may be ok. Too many times and you find trouble.

that vertical rain has me puzzled. Have you ever hovered over tall grass? Vortexes...

To the OP, it would perhaps be interesting to check the temperature of the motors after, if possible, identical flights with and without their 'rain coats'.
My concern is that rain coats may block prop wash etc. ventilation flowing through the motor cores. I do not know if the motors are designed with such a flow in mind.
good idea, I will do it next!

Living in the Pacific N.W., we get quite a lot of rain. To save my toys, I have been using a product from MG Chemicals called 419D Acrylic Conformal Coating. You brush it all over your electronics that will be getting soaked. They also have it in a spray can now but I have always used the brush on with excellent results (no shorts). Been using the stuff for 6 or 7 years on RC Cars, trucks, buggys, boats, planes, trains, wings, helicopters, tricopters, quadcopters, radio tx's, fpv goggles, and camera's. Whheew, that was a mouthful. At first I used vaseline and it worked but was messy and it came off eventually. There are some videos on YouTube on the Conformal Coating and the guy, I think it was old Peter Spirol, submerges the quadcopter in a fish tank and runs it with no smoke. Check that stuff out. Here's the link to buy on Amazon:
MG Chemicals 419D Premium Acrylic Conformal Coating, 55 mL Bottle, IPC 830, UL 94V-0 (File # E203094) MG Chemicals 419D Premium Acrylic Conformal Coating, 55 mL Bottle, IPC 830, UL 94V-0 (File # E203094): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Good luck and fun flying!

Reactions: lowellton
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78