DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV glasses - any suggestions?

These need and HDMI o/p. u have to have a tablet that has one or u go for a complex miracast donggle set up.
Yes, the cheap as chips (£80) Bush 7" tablet has HDMI out, proved working with my Headplay goggles (see first post above) .. :)

Reactions: Mr Spock
I remember when I was working with some industrial VR equipment about ten years ago, Epson came out with a nice prosumer-level headset at that time as well. We played with the demo units and were impressed for the price point they were targeting. But then the product disappeared. At that time, there was no consumer demand for VR, even though a few industrial players (movies, manufacturing or military) were getting involved pretty heavily, so Epson bowed out. Hopefully this time they will stick with it.

As for what I see in the moverio demo video above, I am not impressed with the styling or the vertical light blocking. I hope the clarity and brightness make up for that.

It's their third model in the series so it seems to show their continued interest - but now if only they'd actually listen to what the users need, and create content/apps to push the platform... I have a friend who works in VR and 360, and says it's always been a joke to deal with them in addition to their gear being a bit behind technically.
They're a good hardware manufacturer, but don't realize it will never take off without content... and they seem interested neither by creating it themselves, nor by supporting those who would do. They won't sell a thing that does none of the cool things it could becasue there's no software.

They're a good hardware manufacturer, but don't realize it will never take off without content... and they seem interested neither by creating it themselves, nor by supporting those who would do. They won't sell a thing that does none of the cool things it could becasue there's no software.

You would not believe just how true that is for most of the Japan hardware market. Ricoh, Brother, Sony, Epson, Nintendo... they all think if you build amazing hardware, everyone will overlook the software. They will tout the abilities of the hardware that even the internal software won't activate/enable.

Oh I do. Well Nintendo is kind of an exception, there software is 100% of it and they've always been able to have suitable games to market their consoles, but... yeah Epson is probably the worst ever. I've had one of their printers (bought only one year ago) and the completely broken and borderline unusable software really seemed like it came straight out of the 90s.

I can't understand how these people think. They'll make the Moverio (I have a set of BT200 BTW) which while looking meh, having outdated processing hardware etc is probably the best quality commercially available see-through display, but you wonder why they made it. The obvious use for such a thing is augmented reality, but that requires precise tracking... that they absolutely didn't think of. There's an IMU, but that usually needs to be complemented by vision to get to sufficient performance levels, but... the camera they've put in them is an awful 0.3MP sensor that's completely useless, AND it doesn't even look straight.
So they do 90% of the difficult job and do it well, but not the 10% that are required to make it evolve from a head-mounted transparent phone that nobody has any use for into the next big thing. And they absolutely don't listen to people and developers like my friend who have tried for years to make them understand...

Yes, the cheap as chips (£80) Bush 7" tablet has HDMI out, proved working with my Headplay goggles (see first post above) .. :)
I had similar one's worked fine with my P3A. Yes a tablet with an HDMI o/p sounds like a good investment. I am thinking about it too now with the Mavic i got.

So these have arrived and they actually feel really good quality, the displays are bright enough for goggles and they are very compact, perfect companion to the Mavic but..

My tablet displays at 1920 x 1200 and the maximum size the goggles will downscale to 854x480 is 1920 x 1080 so they sometimes display ok but certainly not with Go4, either there are red lines or artifacts or a blank screen. There isn't setting on the tablet to change the resolution and I've never rooted anything in my life (apart from potatoes) so does anybody know if there's an easy way to downscale the display? I tried a couple of apps but neither appeared to be successful.

Thanks!

I had similar one's worked fine with my P3A. Yes a tablet with an HDMI o/p sounds like a good investment. I am thinking about it too now with the Mavic i got.

They're now on offer at Argos for £70.. :)

So these have arrived and they actually feel really good quality, the displays are bright enough for goggles and they are very compact, perfect companion to the Mavic but..

My tablet displays at 1920 x 1200 and the maximum size the goggles will downscale to 854x480 is 1920 x 1080 so they sometimes display ok but certainly not with Go4, either there are red lines or artifacts or a blank screen. There isn't setting on the tablet to change the resolution and I've never rooted anything in my life (apart from potatoes) so does anybody know if there's an easy way to downscale the display? I tried a couple of apps but neither appeared to be successful.

Thanks!

Will try this after work: How to Lower Your Device’s Resolution on Android

I am starting to belive that the Epson Moverio BT300 do not actually work yet as there are only a handful of test videos out there and for some reason they are still availble only on pre order even though their site says they will be available late December and we are getting very close to that date.

"The Moverio BT-300 is expected to ship late 2016, subject to reasonable delays in manufacturing and/or delivery. Such date is only an estimate and subject to change. Orders may be placed for United States shipping and billing address only. Please email [email protected]"

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

The Moverios, if they do ever come to market, are prohibitively expensive imo and I don't know how effective they would be in bright sunlight anyway..

The goggles I mention above are bright enough, have padded surrounds to the eye pieces so will be fine but I still can't get my Tablet's resolution to be compatible so either I'll have to root it (have tried but no luck yet) or I'll be getting one of these and binning the Bush tablet: GoTab 7.85" Android KitKat Tablet + Free 16GB Micro SD Card ***NEW & SEALED*** | eBay

It's a pretty good solution as I can use these small form factor glasses or the Headplays just by plugging them into the tablet. :)

Reactions: Mr Spock
I paid £135 which was much cheaper than anywhere else.. I've bought another pair, will return the first set. :)

Any kind of accommodation for us that wear glasses?

I wear reading glasses and can see the screens quite clearly but if you're short sighted I don't think you could wear glasses with these..

Pedro how can this be? These are way too cheap to be true. Have you got these 35£ one's??? Do they work?

I have no idea, the ones I bought were £135 and are much more than that elsewhere but the £35 ones look exactly the same so I've bought another pair with the intention of returning the first set..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo