DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

From Unboxing to First Flight

Trini_MP

Reactions
Pilots,

So i am anxiously awaiting my MP; hopefully in a week or two. I have read alot and watched many videos; but i want to hear from you guys; from your experiences tricks/tips from unboxing the device to my first flight.

And what is a MUCH cheaper comparable drone that i can use to practice on....

Looking forward to your responses...

Cheers

I have read alot and watched many videos; but i want to hear from you guys; from your experiences tricks/tips from unboxing the device to my first flight.
Here are some items you might find useful:

And what is a MUCH cheaper comparable drone that i can use to practice on
Non-DJI drones and/or inexpensive drones don't fly like DJI drones. If you start out in a large open space that has absolutely no nearby obstacles, then you should be fine if you practice with your Mavic.

I've said this before to all who just received their MP.
Try to fly your MP w/ the FW that it came with 1st then decide after a few flights if you want to upgrade.
Oh Yeah! Don' forget to remove the Gimbal clamp before powering up.

Take note of what the manual says about calibrating your new drone. It probably won’t need any calibration at all. If it does ask for calibration, I’d move it away from man made structures that contain magnetic material and check again.
I bought a parrot Airborne Night and the remote control to put a phone into. It has some altitude stabilisation but nothing else so a bit like a Mavic on ATTI but it does allow you to get some practice with the drone nose out and nose in. But nothing can prepare you for the stability of the Mavic.
Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Just take it slow in an open area, You'll be surprised actually how easy it is. If you get in trouble let off the sticks and it will hover in place.
Good luck and fly safe!

what does it do?

Stops all automated functions.

If flying manually, the best thing is simply to let go of the joysticks (weird thought, but it's the right thing to do). The Mavic will stop and hover in place.

If flying manually, the best thing is simply to let go of the joysticks (weird thought, but it's the right thing to do). The Mavic will stop and hover in place.
However, if the Mavic is flying in ATTI mode, keeping your hands on the sticks at all times is the right thing to do (since the Mavic will drift in the direction the wind is blowing).

However, if the Mavic is flying in ATTI mode, keeping your hands on the sticks at all times is the right thing to do

Might I suggest that new pilots not fly in ATTI mode (and stick to GPS mode only). :D

Might I suggest that new pilots not fly in ATTI mode (and stick to GPS mode only). :D
It's actually not possible to manually switch the Mavic to ATTI mode. One must always be ready for it to auto switch though.

It's actually not possible to manually switch the Mavic to ATTI mode. One must always be ready for it to auto switch though.

I know... but many new pilots get way too excited after unboxing the Mavic, start it up and take off while it is still in ATTI mode and immediately crash the thing (thinking they know how to or can figure out how to fly a drone). It's always best (even for old pros) to be patient enough for the MP to acquire the sats and switch to GPS mode, record your home point accurately, and then slowly raise altitude until you're ready to move off.

But my original point was... if you panic, let go of the sticks. It's generally far better than trying to fly the craft out of trouble. Unlike most other (lesser) drones, DJI drones are pretty good at maintaining their position and for someone panicking while flying one, just stopping in place is generally the best answer to most problems (not all.. but most - especially new pilot errors).

I have just unboxed my mavic, watched several videos and read forums but when switching it indoors to try it, seems it stays ATTI on my controller and not even the propellers start to work, just kept beeping. Do I need the mobile/tablet and the app to start this to work or I can just try it with just the controller. What I need to do. This is my first drone so please no funny comments, everyone had his first time and was anxious to fly this thing.

It's not going to get GPS inside so it will stay in ATTI mode. You can still fly it, even without a phone or tablet connected but you need to push both sticks simultaneously inwards and back. Then the motors should spin up.

It's arguably safer for a beginner to be outside where the drone can see the sky and get GPS.

Good luck with your new drone.

Reactions: djoe
I have just unboxed my mavic, watched several videos and read forums but when switching it indoors to try it, seems it stays ATTI on my controller and not even the propellers start to work, just kept beeping. Do I need the mobile/tablet and the app to start this to work or I can just try it with just the controller. What I need to do. This is my first drone so please no funny comments, everyone had his first time and was anxious to fly this thing.

RTFMing can save you $1000 or more.

Reactions: djoe and JetexJim
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan