DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Genuine fear of someone hacking my drone mid flight

Arce101

Reactions
I have the fear of that and was wondering if there was a way to change that in the settings or at least make it more difficult to do ?

I have the fear of that and was wondering if there was a way to change that in the settings or at least make it more difficult to do ?

It’s extremely difficult. It’s not something in the realm of possibilities at this time. From all appearances the government can’t even do that or they would have during that U.K. airport incident before Christmas

There's an example on Youtube of someone doing a test and hijacking a wifi connected DJI drone, think it was a MP being flown on wifi too.
As said with knowledge of how the system works, it can be done, but the have to be within range to do this, and it was obvious in the test who the 'thief' was, and close enough to be chased down . . . not hard if the are trying to fly a drone to themselves to retrieve it, then it'd come down to who is willing to fight harder for it and who wants it more ? ??

Dont fly stoned..
Anything that goes wrong, you will think the Cops are using one of these
DS_161121_0878_opt_0.jpg
or someone has hacked you phone/tablet.
It's very slightly possisble, but chances are GO is just crashing, or
your experiencing a Mavicpilots Post Live.

Your a drone has like four random channels it selects when it starts. 2 in the 2.4 Ghz and 2 in the 5 Ghz range. If the radio detects interference it will freq hop. I cant imagine the cost of equipment and the level of skill it would take to steal a $1200 drone LOL. I think they would be more interested in stealing something more valuable like a RC jet plane.

This company already proven that can be done: Technology - Department 13
For control they demonstrated it on old machines that still used common RC, not modern ones with proprietary links. On those (that we know of) they can just disrupt the link and trigger failsafe.

But that's gear costing 1ens of thousands of $, so your average Joe won^t have that, and if anyone with one uses it on you it means you should REALLY not be flying there...

Drones annoy people, 1/5 scale RC planes oozing awesomeness not so much I think

But yeh, i think you would have to Hover in same place for 5 mins for someone to mess with your signal.

Reactions: DebianDog
I think you have a better chance of being struck by lightning or winning the Lottery than someone hacking into your signal.

Happy flights

Reactions: CJH92474
Your a drone has like four random channels it selects when it starts. 2 in the 2.4 Ghz and 2 in the 5 Ghz range. If the radio detects interference it will freq hop. I cant imagine the cost of equipment and the level of skill it would take to steal a $1200 drone LOL. I think they would be more interested in stealing something more valuable like a RC jet plane.

Thanks for sharing the video of the RC jet plane. Crazy COOL! Saw the dummy in the cockpit. I'm thinking it was the dummy's upper half only. I wonder if there is enough room in the cockpit for a living person?

Reactions: CJH92474
For control they demonstrated it on old machines that still used common RC, not modern ones with proprietary links. On those (that we know of) they can just disrupt the link and trigger failsafe.

But that's gear costing 1ens of thousands of $, so your average Joe won^t have that, and if anyone with one uses it on you it means you should REALLY not be flying there...
The MESMER from D13 can intercept the mavic on occusync as it decrypts the signal beforehand. Mine you this thing runs well over 100k to purchase so you'll only find governments and military operating it to guard something worth guarding. The Australian government has a few of those.

OK, that's a new capability they have then, last I talked with one of their (now former) employees they didn't have that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78