DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Getting a '3/4' tracking shot / horizontal tilting?

fredward

Reactions
mavic.jpg

Hello I have just bought a Mavic Air, I have flown it a bit, and see it can tilt up and down, but is it possible to tilt just the camera horizontally, to get a 3/4 shot? At the moment, when I turn it, the whole unit turns, changing the flight path to match the turn, I want the same flight path (see the diagram, all drones have the same path), any help greatly appreciated, thanks!
Fred

You have a few options I think (maybe others can chime in):

1) A skilled pilot could just fly the drone in this manner, but you will need to practice to get it smooth.
2) Active track might be able to fly like this? I have never tried but it may be possible.
3) Waypoints. Looks like the SDK is out so third party apps are starting to test this feature for the MA (remains to be seen if they will add it to DJI app). You would setup a cable cam type mission with waypoints or just define the way the camera faces. Look at the Litchi app in the app store.

thanks for the info, so the camera only tilts up and down then I guess

Yes. The gimbal has a short yaw range but that's for stabilization, not control.

You can fly that either manually or using Active Track.

mavic.jpg

Hello I have just bought a Mavic Air, I have flown it a bit, and see it can tilt up and down, but is it possible to tilt just the camera horizontally, to get a 3/4 shot? At the moment, when I turn it, the whole unit turns, changing the flight path to match the turn, I want the same flight path (see the diagram, all drones have the same path), any help greatly appreciated, thanks!
Fred

Course Lock is the answer:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+