DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Giving us a bad name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnydxxx

Reactions
Whilst we all in the U.K. enjoy the freedom flying a drone of less than 250g it appears some operators are doing everything they can to get them banned. I'm talking about the growing number of 'Auditors' on YouTube who fly their drones over police stations and sensitive sites to deliberatly start a confrontation. In some videos on their channels they even position themselves just outside the Flight Restriction Zone of a prison and use the zoom to show the whole installation in detail. When challenged by the police, prison officers or any authority they then quote Civil Aviation Authority legislation just to prove they can do so. We may well be within our rights to do so but I don't think this is responsible behaviour for an operator and I'm sure if this continues it will result in new legislation with much stricter control. Take a look at DJ Audits channel or koleeberks channel on YouTube which are just 2 examples of auditors abusing the feedom the CAA gives us to fly sub 250g drones.

Way too many bad actors out there. Don't know what it's like in the UK, but where I live in Phoenix AZ, there has been an increase over the past few months of people shining green lasers at helicopters all over the city and planes landing at Sky Harbor, for the sole purpose of bringing down manned aircraft for a thrill. I've lost faith in humanity decades ago, but this is just downright evil.

Yes it’s cringeworthy watching them try and justify why they must fly over (what can easily be described as) sensitive sites.
They do it over large private corporations properties too.
Baiting for a reaction for sure, it’s so obvious, and as one would expect they usually get a confrontation at some point.
What gets me is comments on these channels are often supportive of the actions.

Take a look at DJ Audits channel or koleeberks channel on YouTube which are just 2 examples of auditors abusing the feedom the CAA gives us to fly sub 250g drones.
Clicking on such youtubes may earn these bear-baiters money, for that reason alone I would not look for their videos.

Whilst we all in the U.K. enjoy the freedom flying a drone of less than 250g it appears some operators are doing everything they can to get them banned. I'm talking about the growing number of 'Auditors' on YouTube who fly their drones over police stations and sensitive sites to deliberatly start a confrontation. In some videos on their channels they even position themselves just outside the Flight Restriction Zone of a prison and use the zoom to show the whole installation in detail. When challenged by the police, prison officers or any authority they then quote Civil Aviation Authority legislation just to prove they can do so. We may well be within our rights to do so but I don't think this is responsible behaviour for an operator and I'm sure if this continues it will result in new legislation with much stricter control. Take a look at DJ Audits channel or koleeberks channel on YouTube which are just 2 examples of auditors abusing the feedom the CAA gives us to fly sub 250g drones.
There are crazy's in every crowd, we sure don't have a shortage of them here in the US. Sometimes just because you legally can do something, doesn't mean you should do it. Folks need to make a common sense decision if what they're doing will help their cause, or cause nothing but problems for everyone. The old phrase "asking for trouble" comes to mind. Unfortunately they usually either don't care or aren't smart enough to know any better.

Way too many bad actors out there. Don't know what it's like in the UK, but where I live in Phoenix AZ, there has been an increase over the past few months of people shining green lasers at helicopters all over the city and planes landing at Sky Harbor, for the sole purpose of bringing down manned aircraft for a thrill. I've lost faith in humanity decades ago, but this is just downright evil.
Tell them to stop the lasers at Sky Harbor. Betty and I are flying through there on our way to Hawaii this coming Monday.

When challenged by the police, prison officers or any authority they then quote Civil Aviation Authority legislation just to prove they can do so. We may well be within our rights to do so
I wonder why the police feel a need to confront people who aren't breaking any law.

Reactions: Jam0ne
"People" couldn't possibly be reconnoitring a prison break or attack or robbery, could they???????
Personally I'd rather they did that than wait until after the event.

You only have to watch one or two of these videos to realise they are 'master baiters', just trying to get reactions from anyone for YouTube clicks, likes, subs, and they hope $.
They know sub 250g lets them fly in places other larger drones can't, OOP etc, so take advantage.

I mean walking around a large Police station for goodness knows, maybe half an hour or more filming by hand, body cams on, look at this police car, look at those officers back there . . . trying to stir somebody to come out and ask what they're doing.
If that doesn't work, they might say I can't quite see in their back holding yard, I'll just put the drone up for a look.

I saw one a while ago, cringeworthy watching them walk around some corporate property, trying gates, drone up filming equipment in the gated fenced yard, etc.

When someone asks what they are doing, they immediately ask why, is it bothering you ? I'm allowed to, etc.

No real reason for these things apart from confrontation.
It's not like someone quietly flying in a public park and testing their drone, or flying somewhere scenic to take a photo or video . . . flying for regular reasons.

Many people express the belief that the FAA/CAA has sole authority over airspace. That no city or state can restrict flights over property, or taking images of people or property on the ground. But, their positions often change (or at least they see other side) when shown a video of these smart aleck wise acres buzzing a police station and taking pictures for no apparent good reason other than to bait the police. The simple solution in US may be to let existing state laws continue to be used when and where necessary to punish trespass, privacy invasion, harassment, stalking, voyeurism, etc., whether by drone or otherwise.

There is another video published on the forum which shows a team of these wiseacres flying over a Los Angeles PD police station parking lot. One big difference in how situation was handled was that the LAPD bantered for a while but eventually told the group that if you fly here again we will trespass you. In this DJ Audits video, the British police were more vague in their warning and did not specifically say do not fly here again. The wiseacre walked away believing he could it again without violating the law. I don't think the LAPD "auditors" left with the same impression.

After watching many “Auditors” videos both in the Uk and the USA and trying to understand the reasoning behind what they do I have come to see why some do it for nothing more than baiting the police to gain revenue on their media sites. There are others doing it to see just how competent the police are in dealing with the the public. Using drones is just another tool. Some do the right things others don’t.
I had the misfortune to be flying my drone near a public park, well within all the rules to have police turn up to let me know that I had been reported as a potential peadophile filming children. Cameras
scare everyone these days. Drones are a very new phenomenon and people don’t understand how they work.
I fully agree with what some of these Auditors do but not others. I have good reason to not trust police and the recent episodes with them reinforce my reasons. Any asset be it a drone, a tape recorder or camera that can keep police accountable gets my support. There are good auditors and bad ones. I don’t agree with baiting. I do agree with using what ever tool is available to hold authorities accountable.
No matter what we as recreational drone users do our use is going to be strangled by governments because they to are frightened by them and what they can reveal. Should anyone use a drone to assist with any criminal activity by all means prosecute them. Should someone fly a drone to uncover corrupt conduct by government identities or corrupt acts by big business they will definitely have my support.

I had the misfortune to be flying my drone near a public park, well within all the rules to have police turn up to let me know that I had been reported as a potential peadophile filming children.
"Filming children" is the goto excuse every Karen uses these days. I had an officer come to my house because a Karen reported me for filming her children (I was taking a pano of my neighborhood park covered in fresh snow). She told the officer she wanted me to stop flying in the neighborhood.

I told the officer that, as long as he's in the business of delivering messages, he could tell her to approach me directly and I'd be happy to show her the resulting photo. Of course she didn't. In the end, it's not about a photo or her kids, it's about me not caving to her wishes. It's driving her insane.

Last edited:
I wonder if some of this is "false flag" attempts to get drones banned by raising a ruckus and causing legislation to ban drones.

Reactions: Jam0ne
"Filming children" is the goto excuse every Karen uses these days. I had an officer come to my house because a Karen reported me for filming her children (I was taking a pano of my neighborhood park covered in fresh snow). She told the officer she wanted me to stop flying in the neighborhood.

I told the officer that, as long as he's in the business of delivering messages, he could tell her to approach me directly and I'd be happy to show her the resulting photo. Of course she didn't. In the end, it's not about a photo or her kids, it's about me not caving to her wishes. It's driving her insane.
I think it's wrong to use the term 'a Karen' do describe someone who complains about what you are doing. They may be right or wrong, but maybe just see things differently to you and have a genuine concern. To use a belittling term like this can make pilots appear arrogant in their attitude to other citizens. You only need to mention the nature of the complaint, not to stereotype the person as a kind of lesser being.

I think it's wrong to use the term 'a Karen' do describe someone who complains about what you are doing. They may be right or wrong, but maybe just see things differently to you and have a genuine concern. To use a belittling term like this can make pilots appear arrogant in their attitude to other citizens. You only need to mention the nature of the complaint, not to stereotype the person as a kind of lesser being.

Yeah, I don't care what you think. Anyone accusing me of pedo activity deserves far worse than being called a Karen.

It's interesting that you think the name calling is wrong, but falsely accusing me of sick perversions is merely "seeing things differently".

There are crazy's in every crowd, we sure don't have a shortage of them here in the US. Sometimes just because you legally can do something, doesn't mean you should do it. Folks need to make a common sense decision if what they're doing will help their cause, or cause nothing but problems for everyone. The old phrase "asking for trouble" comes to mind. Unfortunately they usually either don't care or aren't smart enough to know any better.
Very well written my friend you have it in a nutshell, now people read my friends piece over and over again.

Reactions: EpicFlight
At least it will result in legislation to allow more “no fly” zones and anti-drone weapons sales. Fight fire with fire. That would go over well here in Florida. The GunShine State. Don’t even need a permit to carry…LOL. But we do protect our property. If someone comes on you property carrying a cell phone in hand, BANG they’re dead. Oops
Maybe I am misreading your comment but in Florida you need a permit to carry a firearm. I realize that the Governor wants open carry passed but open carry is not allowed EXCEPT when fishing or hunting.

Reactions: thispilothere
What was/IS the thread supposed to be about???? Oh yes, now I remember, drone flights near restriction zones in the UK.
Yes and now I have deleted lots of post I hope it’s more back on track. Let’s please stay on track guys.
Thanks

Reactions: MS Coast
The simple answer to this, is just make the no fly zone larger.
I can’t stand SJW sovereign citizens and auditors…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78