DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gotten insurance with State Farm? If so please read!

geofox784

Reactions
For many people it's hard to find an agent that is familiar with insuring drones in their state. Many agents won't do it or will do it but with a large deductible or other catch. I made a quick form to submit the contact info of agents who wrote a drone policy so that others can find agents easily.

The form is 8 very quick questions that should take less than a minute of your time while helping others save a ton of time with trying to find an agent. My goal for this is to have every state covered.

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/ ... L374jsmZnw/viewform

Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... edit#gid=1180163488

For those that don't know about insurance through State Farm, you can get your drone insured through their PAP (Personal Articles Policy) for $60 a year and no deductible. It will cover both lost / stolen as well as accidental damage (crash). Unlike refresh it does not require you to have the drone to make a claim, can be renewed each year, covers accessories, has no 48 hour limit, and you get a brand new drone (no repairs or refurbished).
The only problem is that each agent and underwriter has their own discretion, so many people need to all around before finding one that will write the policy.
Tons of great info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/drones/ ... rm_insurance_guide/

For many people it's hard to find an agent that is familiar with insuring drones in their state. Many agents won't do it or will do it but with a large deductible or other catch. I made a quick form to submit the contact info of agents who wrote a drone policy so that others can find agents easily.

The form is 8 very quick questions that should take less than a minute of your time while helping others save a ton of time with trying to find an agent. My goal for this is to have every state covered.

Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/ ... L374jsmZnw/viewform

Results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... edit#gid=1180163488

For those that don't know about insurance through State Farm, you can get your drone insured through their PAP (Personal Articles Policy) for $60 a year and no deductible. It will cover both lost / stolen as well as accidental damage (crash). Unlike refresh it does not require you to have the drone to make a claim, can be renewed each year, covers accessories, has no 48 hour limit, and you get a brand new drone (no repairs or refurbished).
The only problem is that each agent and underwriter has their own discretion, so many people need to all around before finding one that will write the policy.
Tons of great info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/drones/ ... rm_insurance_guide/

Geo great job!! This might be a silly question but do you have to live in the state that you purchase the policy from? I see a bunch of agents on your list but none in MD. I emailed a few today and it was a joke!!

In TN mine was $60 for a year but also $100 deductible. I questioned the deductible and was told all TN policies have $100 minimum deductible. Hope that's true and I didn't get took for an extra $100. I have my house and cars with them too.

Does anyone know if a claim affects your rates? At renewal?

In TN mine was $60 for a year but also $100 deductible. I questioned the deductible and was told all TN policies have $100 minimum deductible. Hope that's true and I didn't get took for an extra $100. I have my house and cars with them too.

Does anyone know if a claim affects your rates? At renewal?

The answer is on rate increase is complicated. YES if you shop and jump to different insurers every year to chase the lowest rates (I do). If you're already a SF customer, and have had them for years, and plan on staying with them, their underwriters have a long history to gauge risk, and they're much less likely to increase your risk rating over a single loss.

Here's what a SF agent in Orlando emailed me regarding that very same question:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that...

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.

Essentially, filing a claim on your MP has the same negative potential on your risk rating as an auto accident. Consider carefully whether that is a sensible option based on your insurance practices. Since I shop every year for best rates, a SF policy for the MP makes little sense.

Reactions: Verizondrone28
I will keep refresh

The answer is on rate increase is complicated. YES if you shop and jump to different insurers every year to chase the lowest rates (I do). If you're already a SF customer, and have had them for years, and plan on staying with them, their underwriters have a long history to gauge risk, and they're much less likely to increase your risk rating over a single loss.

Here's what a SF agent in Orlando emailed me regarding that very same question:

A personal articles policy (PAP) policy is considered a “fire” policy. Under the fire category is home, PAP, and inland marine policies. If there is a claim on any of these policies, it is recorded in Lexus Nexus and does affect your future rating if you intend to get any of those policies started as new business.

With State Farm (I can’t speak for other companies) if you do a PAP claim during a time where you have an existing home policy, it will not affect your rate. As I mentioned before, however, if you start a new home policy, it does have the potential to affect that...

Any claim on any property policy could be considered during underwriting for rating purposes by any carrier, so it’s no different than having an auto claim and then shopping your auto policy after.

Essentially, filing a claim on your MP has the same negative potential on your risk rating as an auto accident. Consider carefully whether that is a sensible option based on your insurance practices. Since I shop every year for best rates, a SF policy for the MP makes little sense.
Thanks for the insight!

Geo great job!! This might be a silly question but do you have to live in the state that you purchase the policy from? I see a bunch of agents on your list but none in MD. I emailed a few today and it was a joke!!

Needs to be in the same state.

I'm wondering if I should contact my insurance agent who has my homeowners and auto policy. I'm kind of nervous to have a drone on the same policy. For $60 a year SF seems like the way to go.

I called USAA who I have my Auto and renters and they don't do a specific policy for drones and told me my renters policy would cover it same as my other property. But that was only for theft, fire and other stuff. So I have been emailing a few State Farm agents and am about to get the $60 policy for both of mine. I tell you though there are a ton of clueless State Farm agents when it comes to this. Maybe it's the newness of drones but some of the answers I have gotten are down right crazy!

Here is the current "coverage".
xiVhZgj.png

A little clarification on the cost of insuring with StateFarm.

The $60.00 cost I see listed in a number of posts is one that fluctuates based on what you are insuring. I myself have a P3P, a Mavic Pro Fly More Combo and an Autel XSP along with multiple cases, extra batteries and chargers included on the policy. My policy runs $104.00 yearly for $3784 in coverage. The policy has no deductible. My agent and policy is in Pa.

As far as accessories being covered, be careful here. My agent originally added my tablets thinking they could be covered. I received an email from my agent a week later with the bad news. They cannot be covered. I received an adjustment refund a few days later.

Something else worth mentioning. Make sure your agent lists all the accessories as separate line items in case of loss or theft.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbcnc1955
My policy total was $2800 and was $60. The formula they used actual was $37 for for $2800 but their lowest policy was $60. No deductible....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird