DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gyroflow Tips

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm no expert but have been using Gyroflow a bit and thought I'd share a few thoughts. I'm used to firing up a program and figuring it out. Gyroflow didn't work that way for me. The first big hurdle was to realize that it isn't usable with my Mavic3 or FPV or Mini3 Pro :(. It IS usable with the Avata provided you shoot with 1) No stabilization in 2) Wide mode. That's it. So that's very limited and why bother. Frankly the Horizon stabilization of the Avata is quite good but the reason I have decided to shoot without it and use Gyroflow is that Gyroflow gives me an entirely second view - the unstabilized one. My current project shot in the desert has my drone chasing my buddies around cactus and the goofy twists and turns are fun without stabilization but other footage really screams for a smooth, clean flow and Gyroflow lets me create that second, well stabilized footage with or without a locked horizon.
That said, GF takes quite a while to do it's thing. The saving grace is the ability to create a setting with or without Locked Horizon and various attributes and then drag a dozen Avata videos to GF and let it crank on it, batching out the results while you work on photos or your taxes. For me, with an older Mac, I have to use Proxies in Final Cut Pro for a smooth workflow and when I drag 200GB of video to a project Proxies take a bit of time to create also. Many folks will balk at the extra time to use Gyroflow but I have plenty to do while it works away in the background. It's def not for everyone but for those that want a both a stabilized and unstabilized version of their footage or those that want to control just how much stabilization can be used it is great.

Black Magic recently added gyro stabilization for Black Magic raw files to Davinci Resolve. It is no silver bullet. Similar to Gyroflow, you must film in raw (with gyro information imbedded in the metadata), You can not use lens stabilization, and it needs the focal length of the lens data imbedded in the metadata. Sometimes it does a pretty good job but most of the time other stabilization techniques work as good or better.

There's also REEL STEADY. It was initially for GoPro cameras but they may have branched out since then to other devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_