DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had my first confrontation today....

Today I had my first encounter,was flying around a lake with no residential property around,only one person in sight.Luck has it she approaches me to say my drone is giving her a headache and would like me to ground it because flying is illegal.How a drone that is 400 yards away can give her a headache is beyond me,but some people just love to be difficult.Unfortunately with the strict drone laws she was technically correct,so I packed up and left the lake so the hag could have it all to herself.Ticked me off as today was the first day with decent weather that I had off in 2 months...........f#@#&n Hag!! Now I feel better:)

Today I had my first encounter,was flying around a lake with no residential property around,only one person in sight.Luck has it she approaches me to say my drone is giving her a headache and would like me to ground it because flying is illegal.How a drone that is 400 yards away can give her a headache is beyond me,but some people just love to be difficult.Unfortunately with the strict drone laws she was technically correct,so I packed up and left the lake so the hag could have it all to herself.Ticked me off as today was the first day with decent weather that I had off in 2 months...........f#@#&n Hag!! Now I feel better:)
No worries, lakes and great places to fly are everywhere. Sometimes you just need to use Google maps to find it. Fortunately, people like that lady are rare to find. She probably hates drones just like some people hates guns. You did the right thing. It's better just to leave and skip a headache.

Reactions: Classic flyer
I guess I would use my usual trick when people tell me something is illegal. I'm also a photographer, and in that discipline, I've been approached several times and told what I was taking pictures of was illegal. It really depends upon how involved you want to get with the person claiming the illegality of what you're doing. I was accosted on a street in San Francisco a few years ago by a security guard who was telling me taking pictures of an interesting building was illegal (it was a bank). I asked him if he could cite the law, so I could look it up. He stammered a bit. Then I asked him where the signs were that indicated no photos were to be taken. He stammered more and started to talk loudly (a sure sign of defensiveness). I kept calm, and kept smiling. Finally he said, "We'll call the police if you keep taking pictures." I was in the mood for an argument, so I replied, "Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's get a cop here to explain to you that this is a public street in a tourist town, and that taking pictures are not only permitted, they're encouraged." He said, "I'm calling the police," and went inside the bank. I replied, "I'll wait." I took more pictures, and then walked down the street, looking for more shots. Never saw the police SWAT guys who the security guard obviously hoped would show up. It was a bit childish on my part, but dang, it was satisfying. But back to the thread. If you are told something is illegal by a private citizen, act a little confused and politely ask which law you're violating. It's more than likely the conversation will come to an end soon after that.

I guess I would use my usual trick when people tell me something is illegal. I'm also a photographer, and in that discipline, I've been approached several times and told what I was taking pictures of was illegal. It really depends upon how involved you want to get with the person claiming the illegality of what you're doing. I was accosted on a street in San Francisco a few years ago by a security guard who was telling me taking pictures of an interesting building was illegal (it was a bank). I asked him if he could cite the law, so I could look it up. He stammered a bit. Then I asked him where the signs were that indicated no photos were to be taken. He stammered more and started to talk loudly (a sure sign of defensiveness). I kept calm, and kept smiling. Finally he said, "We'll call the police if you keep taking pictures." I was in the mood for an argument, so I replied, "Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's get a cop here to explain to you that this is a public street in a tourist town, and that taking pictures are not only permitted, they're encouraged." He said, "I'm calling the police," and went inside the bank. I replied, "I'll wait." I took more pictures, and then walked down the street, looking for more shots. Never saw the police SWAT guys who the security guard obviously hoped would show up. It was a bit childish on my part, but dang, it was satisfying. But back to the thread. If you are told something is illegal by a private citizen, act a little confused and politely ask which law you're violating. It's more than likely the conversation will come to an end soon after that.
That's the way to do it dawg...you is da man!

Which drone law were you "bending"? Was it posted no flying in the area?

Well, since there's like 23 people in Canada, and your country views not saying anything but, " Sorry, I can't talk right now, but here's Labatt's beer," as confrontational, plus there's about eleventy-billion square acres of open space, you should be OK, right?

Seriously, it sounds like Canada is ahead of the US on the regulation curve. I predict the first time a commercial jet sucks a toy quad copter into an engine, it'll be game over for us US enthusiasts. The regulations will become back breaking, and to fly legally, we'll all have to get some sort of license similar to the Part 107 cert. It all comes down to money. If some clueless quad pilot causes a multi-million dollar engine repair (unlikely to actually bring the plane down) then all **** will break loose. There have been a good number of close calls, and even a few collisions, but so far nothing that has caused a serious accident (that's verifiable, anyway). There's a whole culture of covering your a** with fibs in the US, if you do something dumb as a pilot that could cause a license suspension or revocation. Even if a drone wasn't in the vicinity, it might be blamed for an accident. Not good....
Eleventy_billion square acres..... what’s that in metric?

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Which drone law were you "bending"? Was it posted no flying in the area?
The lake I was flying at is considered a National Park,drones technically are not permitted in National Parks in Canada.No point escalating an argument when I new I was was technically wrong,but ****,its just a lake and woods,small public washroom and nothing else.

The lake I was flying at is considered a National Park,drones technically are not permitted in National Parks in Canada.No point escalating an argument when I new I was was technically wrong,but ****,its just a lake and woods,small public washroom and nothing else.
Considering your geographic location I'd blame it on "BRAIN FREEZE"...just sayin

Agree.... I try to fly where there's not likely to be someone interested (although people seem to appear out of nowhere). I was out in the country last time I flew, about 30' off a country road, circling an old school house that's been there since the 1800's. It was Saturday, and no one was around. As luck would have it, a bicyclist in full road bike gear came down the road, glanced up, saw the quad, and stopped to talk about it. Ya can't win! As far as Area 51 goes, you know that's just a decoy, right? lol....
One very good point : people do appear out of nowhere, wherever you are..

Two weeks ago when in Tuscany, to get this beautiful shot of one of the famous countryside cities, I had to take off from a parking lot way down the city, with big metallic garbages all around as it was the only place without goddamm tourists..

"Good starting point for the video" I said to myself..
"What about your rule of not taking off in vicinity of big pieces of metal by the way?" noticed my girlfriend..
Well, there's no other suitable place so.. Let's go with the compass default!

Believe it or not, in 10min, three people went
The garbage guy with its big truck..
Two old women bringing flowers to the cemetery (that I spotted only when high enough, 6meters only behind me).

In the end, I think when it comes to find the best spot to start from, it's all about anticipating mitigation measures in case of encounter,
as Murphys laws attest this is the moment everything and everyone around will gathered back to you

Sometimes it's also funny when you say "wouldn't you mind watching for your kids juuuust for a minute please, so I'll land my quadcopter safely, just right there?" and boum the person realized she could have been killed by an airstrike she wouldn't have even noticed [emoji5]️

Last week while trying to set a flood light tower as a point of interest i noticed a guy coming my way, I pretended not to notice him but it,s hard to concentrate when they start speaking, He started tugging on my shirt asking for money with slurred speech, i kinda feel bad now coz i exploded on him accusing him of having no manners, I guess he was after a few baht to buy rice whiskey.
He was probably mac mac BaBaBaBo. Cap

If the area is not a public park but it's a public place, I usually have my red jacket that says I am a FAA registered drone pilot. Usually when I wear it, people never bothers me. I think they get intimated because I look like a government employee... Hahaha.

My favorite angry person was after shooting at OJ Simpsons home for a recent Discovery ID channel show.

A woman walked several blocks to call me and the DP 'child perverts' as she thought I must have been shooting her kids. She demanded my ID. I noticed her two kids, and asked her, if we were child perverts, why on earth did she bring her kids with her.

Good times.

My favorite angry person was after shooting at OJ Simpsons home for a recent Discovery ID channel show.

A woman walked several blocks to call me and the DP 'child perverts' as she thought I must have been shooting her kids. She demanded my ID. I noticed her two kids, and asked her, if we were child perverts, why on earth did she bring her kids with her.

Good times.
Speaking of OJ, off subject a little here.... I was following a white Bronco the other day. On the bumper it said, "OJ isn't in here." Kinda liked that. Remember the slow speed chase when OJ was first in trouble? :)

Reactions: Aerial West
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.