DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from LA, I will be traveling the world with this drone!!

TylerDrake16

Reactions
follow me on instagram at TylerDrake16 to catch my first flight scheduled for this afternoon. I will be constantly updating my insta with mavic footage and I'll always share what filters I used and why. Looking forward to learning from you all

Reactions: dirkclod
follow me on instagram at TylerDrake16 to catch my first flight scheduled for this afternoon. I will be constantly updating my insta with mavic footage and I'll always share what filters I used and why. Looking forward to learning from you all
Howdy from Wyoming TylerDrake16, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I'm flying out to LA week after next, will have some time to see some sites. Since you're in LA now, can you provide any advice on where are good places to fly and where in LA not to fly?

I heard around Griffin Observatory is not allowed? How about the Hollywood sign?

If you have some good suggestions of where yes and where no in LA, I'd appreciate it Tyler.

Thanks,
TreyinHouston

Thanks for the warm invitation @Bunny Too
@treytexag I literally just picked up my drone from LA yesterday, I haven't even flown it yet. I plan on flying it for the first time this afternoon. From what I gathered from the guy I bought it from you will want to stay far away from LAX (obviously). I don't know about Hollywood sign but Ill ask him because I would love to get that footage too. Ill look into it and get back to you after speaking with the guy I bought it from

Thanks for the warm invitation @Bunny Too
@treytexag I literally just picked up my drone from LA yesterday, I haven't even flown it yet. I plan on flying it for the first time this afternoon. From what I gathered from the guy I bought it from you will want to stay far away from LAX (obviously). I don't know about Hollywood sign but Ill ask him because I would love to get that footage too. Ill look into it and get back to you after speaking with the guy I bought it from
Thanks Tyler, let me know what he says, really curious. If he has any other good flying areas to suggest, please do share. Thanks.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .:)

Thanks Tyler, let me know what he says, really curious. If he has any other good flying areas to suggest, please do share. Thanks.
@treytexag I spoke to the individual I bought the drone from and he didn't know. So I looked online and found a reply on this forum, as well as another DJI forum that stated that there are no visible 'NO FLY ZONE' signs around the Hollywood Sign, so it should be fair game. There was one odd thing I read about a Phantom that got damaged by an Antenna in the area? However it seems to be just hearsay at this point. Griffith Observatory is a NO FLY ZONE

I think its better to ask for forgiveness than permission so I would do it (referring to Hollywood sign, not Griffith). Other cool spots I would recommend off the top of my head: Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, A Skate Park, Long Beach Port, and Malibu during sunset.

Quote about antenna: "I don't think it's a no fly zone, but I know a guy who who got too close to one of the antennas up there and had to send it back to DJI to get repaired. I don't remember the specifics of exactly what it did, but the signal from the antenna jacked his Phantom all up." -http://forum.dji.com/thread-57525-1-1.html

Helpful Map of No Fly Zones in USA (Pan over to California): No FLY Zones | DJI

Reactions: treytexag
@treytexag I spoke to the individual I bought the drone from and he didn't know. So I looked online and found a reply on this forum, as well as another DJI forum that stated that there are no visible 'NO FLY ZONE' signs around the Hollywood Sign, so it should be fair game. There was one odd thing I read about a Phantom that got damaged by an Antenna in the area? However it seems to be just hearsay at this point. Griffith Observatory is a NO FLY ZONE

I think its better to ask for forgiveness than permission so I would do it (referring to Hollywood sign, not Griffith). Other cool spots I would recommend off the top of my head: Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, A Skate Park, Long Beach Port, and Malibu during sunset.

Quote about antenna: "I don't think it's a no fly zone, but I know a guy who who got too close to one of the antennas up there and had to send it back to DJI to get repaired. I don't remember the specifics of exactly what it did, but the signal from the antenna jacked his Phantom all up." -http://forum.dji.com/thread-57525-1-1.html

Helpful Map of No Fly Zones in USA (Pan over to California): No FLY Zones | DJI

This is good information Tyler - Thank you. I'm going to try the Hollywood Sign. I also like your suggestions of Venice, Santa Monica Pier, and Malibu. Quick question, where is the Skate Park? That sounds interesting for sure.

I'm flying out to LA week after next, will have some time to see some sites. Since you're in LA now, can you provide any advice on where are good places to fly and where in LA not to fly?

I heard around Griffin Observatory is not allowed? How about the Hollywood sign?

If you have some good suggestions of where yes and where no in LA, I'd appreciate it Tyler.

Thanks,
TreyinHouston
Trying to find a good place to fly in the Los Angeles area has been a challenge for me and I find using the app AirMap gives me the best areas.

This is good information Tyler - Thank you. I'm going to try the Hollywood Sign. I also like your suggestions of Venice, Santa Monica Pier, and Malibu. Quick question, where is the Skate Park? That sounds interesting for sure.
I was told yesterday from a rep with DJI that all of Santa Monica is now off limits you may want to check with the city before you fly.

Guys! I flew the Hollywood sign!! That footage is coming soon. So I gotta mention this. I was experiencing some weird interference with my video display when I got near the sign. This typically doesn't happen. I was out of "line of sight" but was able to RTH it (not before panicking and wondering if I lost my drone... but shortly there after). I can't say for certain if it was the antenna or not but I have read elsewhere that the antenna has been problematic for others. Just wanted to mention it here. By the way caught some great footage of Ventura Pier with the Mavic.

Hey Tyler! Great drone footage! Just curious how did you do the part where the video turn 180? Its around 3:55 time. Was it through the video edit? Or there is a trick with the DJI Go app? And also do you have the Hollywood sign video footage? I'm interested to see that footage. Because I'm going to hike to the Hollywood sign this Sunday and wants to check to see if drone flying is allowed. Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom