DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help please lost drone

Thank you sho much everyone. I am bavk til the search and am retrieving DAT FILE NOW. what is best used to read it?

DatCon, but if you are not experienced reading them then I suggest you post it here. I'll certainly need to see it if you want an estimate of where the aircraft may have ended up.

I seem to be having some issues uploading it to this... I have it on my desktop in a folder but when I attempt an upload it says there is nothing there

ok so I started a conversation on accident but I believe files had changed name while in my pocket but I had to rename files as I found them like this ....
FLY493.DAT@19-04-15_08-28-20-865

Attachments

• @19-04-15_08-28-20-865FLY493 - Copy.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 8
  • @19-04-15_08-28-21-872FLY493 - Copy.DAT
    4.6 MB · Views: 1
  • @19-04-15_08-40-01-616FLY493 - Copy.DAT
    713.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm not quite sure what to make of this. The aircraft GPS does appear to have worked mostly normally throughout the recorded flight. Appending the full GPS data (the black trace) to the previous plot:

The flight path late on is strange, because the aircraft was in ATTI mode with few stick inputs. I'd expect a more steady drift on the wind unless the wind conditions really were that variable.

Looking on Google Earth:

The final flight path was south, but at variable speed. The battery depletion rate indicates that the aircraft would have continued for a further 370 seconds before initiating autoland:

If the track and speed were somewhat constant that would permit an estimate of where it would have landed, but speed, in particular, was all over the place:

As a result I can't extrapolate from position or velocity. You could take a look in the vicinity of the last position shown above, but it's a long shot.

To address the question of what happened, the event stream indicates that height control failed early in the flight:

5.864 : 5141 [L-FMU/LED]action changed. set home:(0)
6.964 : 5196 [L-FMU/FSM]not near ground
7.179 : 5207 [L-FMU/FSM]near ground
13.763 : 5536 [L-RC]mode switch changed!
13.763 : 5536 [L-FLYMODE][RC] mode switch changed
13.763 : 5536 [L-FLYMODE]CTRL reset all by rc mode switch
21.983 : 5947 [L-CFG][handle_plant_gain] save(&(FMU_CFG_GET(CFG_MR_CTRL, mr_ctrl_para_cfg_t)->plant_
21.983 : 5947 [L-CTRL]Uncertainty gain adjust SUCCESS
27.484 : 6222 [L-FMU/FSM]not near ground
27.822 : 6239 [L-NS][AHRS] yaw aligned 1
31.685 : 6432 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , height_ctrl_fail
31.701 : 6433 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!

That was followed by a period of apparently normal flight, and then it went pear-shaped again:

155.840 : 12640 [L-WL][LOG]wl_cur_info.is_pos_available:1=>0
156.047 : 12650 [L-NS][AHRS] yaw aligned 0
157.262 : 12711 [L-WL][LOG]wl_cur_info.is_pos_available:0=>1
159.624 : 12829 [L-FLYMODE][Ctrl<1>] REQ_RC_NORMAL ATTI ctrl_atti

After a couple of switches back and forth between P-GPS and ATTI the FC gave up on P mode. There are other anomalies in the logs - for example the aircraft type and other details were not properly recorded. How old was this aircraft. I'm guessing not particularly new from the flight index number, but if it was within the warranty period I'd say that you have a chance of getting DJI to replace it.

@BudWalker - any thoughts?

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. The aircraft GPS does appear to have worked mostly normally throughout the recorded flight. Appending the full GPS data (the black trace) to the previous plot:

View attachment 69641

The flight path late on is strange, because the aircraft was in ATTI mode with few stick inputs. I'd expect a more steady drift on the wind unless the wind conditions really were that variable.

Looking on Google Earth:

View attachment 69639

The final flight path was south, but at variable speed. The battery depletion rate indicates that the aircraft would have continued for a further 370 seconds before initiating autoland:

View attachment 69642

If the track and speed were somewhat constant that would permit an estimate of where it would have landed, but speed, in particular, was all over the place:

View attachment 69640

As a result I can't extrapolate from position or velocity. You could take a look in the vicinity of the last position shown above, but it's a long shot.

To address the question of what happened, the event stream indicates that height control failed early in the flight:

21.983 : 5947 [L-CFG][handle_plant_gain] save(&(FMU_CFG_GET(CFG_MR_CTRL, mr_ctrl_para_cfg_t)->plant_

That was followed by a period of apparently normal flight, and then it went pear-shaped again:

After a couple of switches back and forth between P-GPS and ATTI the FC gave up on P mode. There are other anomalies in the logs - for example the aircraft type and other details were not properly recorded. How old was this aircraft. I'm guessing not particularly new from the flight index number, but if it was within the warranty period I'd say that you have a chance of getting DJI to replace it.

Absolutely stunning!!! You certainly are a golden resource, sar104!!!

It was late last night and I missed some obvious things in the logs. Firstly, the DAT log is slightly shorter than the txt log, and the velocity excursions at the end of the flight were caused by stick inputs. Secondly, looking at the pitch and roll data, the aircraft is achieving 60° tilt. Have you changed the maximum tilt and/or gain settings in the firmware parameters? The height control failure looks to have been due to the aircraft being unable to maintain height at those extreme tilt values.

Anyway, going back to the ATTI mode drift, subtracting out the stick inputs at the end, the wind speed appears to have been around 2 m/s out of the north. The log actually indicates 2.15 ± 0.2 m/s, which means that there is still some uncertainty. At least direction looks constant at 180 - 181°. Using that, combined with the 370 seconds to autoland plus around 15 seconds descent time from 45 meters suggests that the aircraft will have traveled 800 ± 50 meters south from its last recorded position. That should put it down somewhere in the yellow circle below:

View attachment 69641

Looking on Google Earth:

View attachment 69639

View attachment 69642

View attachment 69640

I think you probably used the middle .DAT. I.e. 19-04-15_08-28-21-872FLY493.DAT. This is one of those cases where the .DAT got split and it needs to be put back together. I did that by concatenating the three .DATs. It's attached.

The third .DAT contains another 105 secs of flight. Using the concatenated .DAT the last recorded position was here

Attachments

• FLY493.DAT
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
I think you probably used the middle .DAT. I.e. 19-04-15_08-28-21-872FLY493.DAT. This is one of those cases where the .DAT got split and it needs to be put back together. I did that by concatenating the three .DATs. It's attached.

The third .DAT contains another 105 secs of flight. Using the concatenated .DAT the last recorded position was here
View attachment 69671

Right - I didn't check for that. Thanks. It looks like that added a little bit more easterly drift, which will change the solution but might make it more accurate. I'll add it in.

Wow its a horrible experience... I hope it won't happen to me....I wonder what cause of this horrific experience...?

That changes the answer by a large amount, which doesn't give me great confidence that the wind was at all steady. However, for what it's worth the landing point now looks to be here:

I'd put an uncertainty of several hundred meters on that, but probably worth a look around that area.

FYI, I tried to look up my friends drone using just his FAA Registration number and to my surprise the FAA site does not have a public database available! So if this is your only ID on the outside of your drone a person will not be able to look you up on their computer. I would hope DJI has your serial number recorded in their system once you activate your new drone but then you'd be hoping the finder would go through the steps to either call or email DJI to trace you down. I think the best way get a lost drone back from an honest stranger would be to put your phone number and address on the outside in a visible location that is easy for anyone who picks it up to call or find you. Looks like the FAA number is only good for law enforcement purposes and not public identification.

FYI, I tried to look up my friends drone using just his FAA Registration number and to my surprise the FAA site does not have a public database available! So if this is your only ID on the outside of your drone a person will not be able to look you up on their computer. I would hope DJI has your serial number recorded in their system once you activate your new drone but then you'd be hoping the finder would go through the steps to either call or email DJI to trace you down. I think the best way get a lost drone back from an honest stranger would be to put your phone number and address on the outside in a visible location that is easy for anyone who picks it up to call or find you. Looks like the FAA number is only good for law enforcement purposes and not public identification.
Neither the FAA nor DJI will give out personal information based on registration or serial number. If your aircraft (including drones) has a regular FAA "N-number" registration, owner information is publically available on the FAA website. As many posts have pointed out, putting your contact info on your drone is a good idea for improving the chances of getting a lost drone returned.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
Neither the FAA nor DJI will give out personal information based on registration or serial number. If your aircraft (including drones) has a regular FAA "N-number" registration, owner information is publically available on the FAA website. As many posts have pointed out, putting your contact info on your drone is a good idea for improving the chances of getting a lost drone returned.

There was a case on the Phanton forum where a guy found a drone. He contacted dji, and they did put him in touch with the owner of the drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjiekun