DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help - When to use correct ND Filters with right camera settings

Xyquil

Reactions
Hi. Im planning to buy ND Filters and i need to know the correct camera setting for it. Is it possible to use ND Filters on cloudy day? Please help...

In the Mavic, we use ND filters as a substitute for an adjustable aperture to control the amount of light striking the camera's sensor. Ideally to achieve a slightly soft 'cinematic' effect, we want the shutter speed of the camera to be roughly double the frame rate. If you manually set the ISO value to 100 (the finest 'grain') on a medium sunny day with Auto exposure on, you will probably see a shutter speed of around 400. Let's say you are shooting 4K video at 30 frames per second, then you want a shutter speed of 60 frames per second. Try your middle ND16 filter and notice the effect. Still to fast? The go to ND32. Too slow? Then ND8 will be your filter. Clear as mud?

Thanks for the reply. Im actually using Mavic Pro. What about the video setting Saturation and Contrast? Is it Cinelike or D-Log?

Thanks for the reply. Im actually using Mavic Pro. What about the video setting Saturation and Contrast? Is it Cinelike or D-Log?
D-LOG is flat. Think of it as a white canvas. You can then in post edit easier.
Just make sure your sharpness is set to +1. The mavic's camera is over processing and causing a 'mushy' water paint like when sharpness = 0.

I'm in Aus so our sun is upside down.
For a rough ND guide in Aus:
Mavic is F2.2 stop.
ND64 = snow AND bright day
ND32 = sunny day no clouds
ND16 = sunny and clouds
ND8 = very cloudy overcast day
ND4 = i rarely use.

Hi. Im planning to buy ND Filters and i need to know the correct camera setting for it. Is it possible to use ND Filters on cloudy day? Please help...
There is no correct settings for the camera.
On a sunny day, just leave everything on auto and do 2 flights:
1 without filter
1 with nd 16 or 32.
Observe the shutter speed coming closer to the framerate with the ISO on minimum.
View the difference and tweak settings from there.

Reactions: Chadnovz

Polar Pro, who sell filters for the mavic, have a great app (for iOS at least) that calculates exactly which filter to use for any given condition. It's a little confusing to start with but works perfectly, and it's free. Cheers

Reactions: Dan C
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21